1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero Talkback (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by JoeMabbon, Feb 14, 2015.

1. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

The show premiered yesterday and has new episodes until Monday.

[​IMG]

"Chicken or Fish?"

Penn helps Boone face an embarrassing secret, while defending an underwater kingdom of fish-people.

"The Old, Old West"

Penn tries to give a washed-up sheriff a second chance at greatness.

Thoughts?

2. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

In terms of which got more laughs from me, I'd have to give it up to "Chicken or Fish."
    The re-occurring plotline of Penn chatting with his adventure-prone parents wasn't implemented into the ep's theme or message,
    but cute & fun, nonetheless as an opener.
    My favorite gags would be that Penn was confused by the merpeople's genders and basically any of Sashi's lines.
    As the ep's core being Boone overcoming his fear, it was handled decently.
    Not too shabby for an ep following the outstanding first.

"The Old, Old West" was a treat. Dinosaur-riding Cowboys! Sweet.
    A lot of good jokes involving dino's, but the heart of the episode is what reeled me.
    It could have been less forced and more subtle, but the way the ol' sheriff outsmarted the kids was really ingenious.
    Overall, this ep was pretty good.

For both ep, I'm surprised Sashi didn't actually get that obscure or outlandish of a guise. It is a running gag in the next few episodes.
    Oh, I can't wait to re-watch ep 4. Get ready folks, the best has yet to come.

3. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Banned

Colleagues,

it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. i definitely agree that sashis dialogue and penn thinking the mermen were female because of their eyeliner and full lips were the best parts. also penn wanting to help the sheriff was genuinely touching and the animation has a unique look.

however the shows rapid-fire style of delivering jokes is a bit off putting. maybe its just me but it felt like the creators were trying a bit too hard to be funny by throwing in every possible gag they could think. i know they can't all be winners but damn atleast take a breather every once and a while.

4. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

This... Though the episode afterward left a lot to be desired for me... I want to like this series, but it needs to make me like it by slowing down and thinking a little. Also, I hope those two guys aren't the only villains in this show. It will get old quite fast. One more also - I hope Sashi has more character to her than just "kick-butt girl"; that's become a real negative trope as of late that does not a relatable character make. Trust me.

5. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Somewhere down the line, those two could be receiving more development, but I wouldn't hold my breath to that. Larry + Alfred Molina as Rippen is what keeps me invested in the two. The show has its formula and I don't particularly mind it.
    Trust me, she does. That's her prevailing characteristic just as Penn and Boone have theirs.
    The only reason I enjoy this aspect of hers, it's because the writers made her "kick-butt" attitude hilariously demented.
    What sort of bugged me about "The Old, Old West" is that she was adamant on ditching the old sheriff.
    Rational as that might have been, with the next 4 ep fresh in my mind, I found that a tad uncharacteristic.
    But then again, she was unaware of the sheriff's motivation.

#5 Mostezli, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  6. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

This does have potential also the seond half of the episode should be name Penn Ball Run

7. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

I will have to watch this even though I don't live in the USA, because Sam Levine is a genuinely nice chap, he regularly retweets my Penn Zero video tweets. I wish him success with the show and the art style looks good.

8. McRowdy

McRowdy Member

I think this show has been firing all cylinders so far. Genuinely enjoyed everything I've seen out of it so far.

9. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

At least she's not preachy about it
    I actually like me a blood knight type character

I do however wonder about the motivation of the villains
    I'm not sure if they can bring the loot back to their home dimension

10. I.R. Shokew

Agreed - thanks in part to the first 2 full episodes (4 segments total) I have seen of this show so far - so yeah, there's continued hope for this show yet to be even more enjoyable than now. I still don't expect it to be as well received as Star Vs. but I don't care all that much about THAT - and how overhyped it seems to be getting now.

I guess it also helps why I'm still watching, despite my gripes - at least those two part - time villains are tolerable enough... Even if they seem bad at their job.

11. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I still don't know what Rippen's endgame is. Does he wanna just cause chaos? Does he work for someone bigger?

12. I.R. Shokew

That's the issue with him showing up too much - we could use some buildup to why he is the way he is... Because looking evil simply just doesn't cut it, anymore...

13. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I wanted to wait until I saw all the debut episodes before making a final call. It's really good. The cast is likeable, but Penn's the only character that's been fully fleshed out. I hope we can get more out of everyone else. Still, its early enough that I can let that go. We're also still short an origin episode which we need to get the most out of the villains. That said, the show looks great and gets the most out of its premise. Everything from flying carpet biker gangs to dino ridin' cowboys manages to show up in just the first few eps. Each world has an interesting design and identity. It reminds me of Fairly Oddparents in its prime, a setting where anything can happen, but grounded enough in its own rules and characterization that you care about what's happening. The humor can be a little juvenile and stale at times, but the show's atmosphere and visuals usually hold up during these weak spots.

So what happened with the trailer? How did it so completely fail to capture the essence of the show? They would have been better off just showing the show's opening than that clip.

In any case, the show has started strong and another solid addition to XD's line-up.

14. I.R. Shokew

I'll admit (despite some small and obvious gripes...) I've been liking what I've actually what I've seen so far, and I mean just about everything. I just hope it can keep it up. I'm still on the fence about our villains, though. I'd hate to see that get old, as they are pretty funny when the writing allows them to be.

I might almost like this show more than Star Vs., despite not being as story driven...

15. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero is easily my top favorite awesome 2015 action/comedy series next to Star Vs. The Forces of Evil, it has amazing new bizarre animation, epic detailed character designs, sweet comedy, and awesome dimension time-traveling adventures.I so loved the awesome Star Trek, Quantum Leap, Sliders, and movie references throughout the show.Both Penn Zero, Sashi, Boone, Vonnie/Brock(best parents), Aunt Rose, Uncle Chuck, Phyllis(grouchy jerkette with a heart of gold), Rippen, and Principal[​IMG] Larry are all awesome funny likable characters/villains.The heroes/villains' different forms were amazing as well.

Both Sashi/Vonnie are my favorite awesome likable kickbutt adorable female[​IMG] characters which is great that Sashi is a tough tomboy/voice of reason of the group.Her stingy sadistic psychopathic nature is so amazing.

Both Rippen/Principal Larry are my favorite awesome entertaining supervillains with sweet designs whose clashing with Penn, Sashi, and Boone was enjoyable.Both Alfred Molina/Larry Wilmore are amazing as Rippen/Principal Larry as much as Principal Larry is Larry Wilmore animated, sweet.

#15 Radical, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
  16. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I really like Sashi. I like that Sashi has this sadistic, psycho streak. Her quirks and flaws make her more interesting.

17. I.R. Shokew

True - but it's only thanks to how well THAT is written... I see a little Heloise in her, minus the stalker with a crush nonsense, which I am quite thankful for, TBH.

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I read in an Animation Magazine article how Rippen is a teacher, and Larry is a principal thus making him his boss in the real world, so it's interesting why he wants to be Rippin's sidekick, and we'll get a glimpse of their lives at school.
    It'll be interesting to see how that plays out in the show. I want to see that myself.

19. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I hope we get the whole backstory for how this all got started. Rippen, Larry, what happened to Mr. and Mrs. Penn, etc.

What puzzles me is why Rippen and Larry are only going after Penn Zero in the alternate dimensions. Is that part of the rules? They can only beat up on each other in the dimensions? I guess since Rippen is an art teacher at school he's worried about getting arrested or something if he attacks Penn Zero and his friends in the real world, since they seem to be working right next door to Phyllis movie theater.

I read on the wiki that Rippen wants to be a full-time villain. Would beating Penn in the alternate dimensions allow him to do that and take over the world or would he only be able to take over whatever dimension he was in?

Seems like the show has changed a lot of people's minds despite initial reactions after watching a couple episodes. Que sera sera.

20. I.R. Shokew

Look, I'm just thankful I have one more cartoon to look forward to - I'm just worried that it might not be telling the best story it possibly could be, if you ask me...