1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Pacific Rim: Uprising" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by GWOtaku, Jun 26, 2014.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The internet is alight over a 34-second video suddenly released by Legendary Pictures this evening, wherein director Guillermo del Toro revealed that a sequel for Pacific Rim has gone from something being scripted and thought about to a movie that will indeed be made. And that's not all, we're also getting spinoffs that include a continuation of the prequel comic book...and an animated series.

A TZ article on this and del Toro's video follow. Pacific Rim 2 will be released by Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures on April 7, 2017.

http://www.toonzone.net/2014/06/gui...ces-pacific-rim-2-animated-series-new-comics/

[video=youtube_share;HndBiSyOrK4]http://youtu.be/HndBiSyOrK4[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Cool. Maybe Universal was waiting to see how Godzilla did in theaters before signing off? In any case, looking forward to all this stuff.

3. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

So Universal will handle it, makes you wonder if the same goes with Godzilla. Even tho it's nice to hear a sequel i'm more interested on the animated series, i do hope the animation is something similar to Motorcity or Sym-Bionic Titan, the Mutradi look alot like the Kaijus of PR

4. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

This is certainly a surprise. I honestly didn't think that Pacific Rim did well enough at the box office to warrant a sequel. Seeing how the 1st movie ended, I don't really see how they could do another one. I won't be seeing this one in theaters, but I might rent it when it's on DVD.

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

As to that, it seems clear that they believe Pacific Rim is a thing they can build on. The news is certainly a landmark for the influence of the global box office, as the movie made a over three quarters of its $411 million take outside of the U.S. Also, as the article references it sold well beyond its time at theaters. There's been openness to the idea for months, and I'd also note that news of all this comes in the aftermath of a certain other monster movie released by Legendary Pictures doing pretty well for itself. We might have gotten this anyhow in some alternate world where that never came out, but the triumphant return of the King of Monsters couldn't have hurt.

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This is pretty cool, the first film is under-rated. I'm also curious about the cartoon. Dare I hope it airs on Toonami?

7. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

We have China to thank for this more than any other country. The film made more money there than it did in the States! Heck, as a token of gratitude, the sequel should introduce a new Chinese Jaeger that actually sticks around for the final battle. The one real complaint I had with the film was that Crimson Typhoon went down way too easily, since it was by far my favorite Jaeger design.

8. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Either they're banking big on the overseas box office for this thing, or it did gangbusters video and download sales. I'm staggered this movie exists at all, the fact that sequel is coming out is mind-boggling. Not that I mind, that's for sure!

9. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I bailed out on CN around the time they started showing life-action stuff, I'm assuming said practice hasn't changed? That being said, that fandom is exactly the audience for this, so it might not be a bad idea....

10. Alan_Gabriel

Alan_Gabriel Member

Nope, it seems that the massively failed experiment that was live action on Cartoon Network finally seems to have been taken out behind the shed and mercifully put out of it's misery, *fingers crossed, knock on wood*, as Stu Snyder, the biggest advocate and primary reason live action was still a thing, got the boot. You'd think it would have happened earlier seeing as how literally every live action show was an unmitigated ratings disaster, even the few good shows like Unnatural History and Tower Prep.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Godzilla or this film, but anyone who's seen both, does this seem like a set-up for a crossover of some kind? I think Godzilla is contemporary and PR is in our future, but maybe Tull and Del Toro are thinking with the success of Godzilla, they can merge the two. IDK

12. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

They're clearly separate universes, but the Rift in Pacific Rim means inter-universe travel is possible, so maybe.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

14. the greenman

4/24: Universal has changed release date. Legendary’s Pacific Rim 2 will move from April 7, 2017, to Friday, August 4, 2017.

So far, this is the first August release announced for a studio film, but pits it a week away from a Spider-Man sequel in July.

7/15: Del Toro says filming is set to begin this November with a lengthy shoot:

http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro-on-pacific-rim-2-the-hobbit-crimson-peak/

7/19: Del Toro chose Pac Rim 2 over JL Dark. Also, Legendary doesn't count out HB3:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...ustice-league-dark-and-could-affect-hellboy-3

#14 the greenman, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
  15. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-gorilla-warfare-s-universal-823715

Really not happy about this news. I'd be fine with it getting canned if we got the animated series still, but it's very, very frustrating that Guillermo del Toro can't catch a break in the industry, what with Hellboy 3 being in limbo and P.T. getting canceled by Konami. Hopefully there's further statements on it soon and it's just being pushed back, because I really enjoyed Pacific Rim in spite of the split opinions most of the Internet had and I was intrigued as to how a sequel would play out...

16. the greenman

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

18. the greenman

#18 the greenman, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2016
  19. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I guess Legendary finally heard about the curse.

20. the greenman