1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Overrated Cartoons

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dell Boy, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

To me it looks like almost everyone on ToonZone likes the Loud House. (except me)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Star vs. the Forces of Evil comes to mind for me, particularly season 2 onwards. I get why people love the show taking a more story-driven and drama-laden direction, and I certainly don't dislike it by any stretch, but I honestly kind of prefer the optimistic and bubbly charm of the earliest eps. To me, it always felt like this show handled comedy a lot better than drama, which for the most part feels somewhat standard to me. Maybe shows like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe have spoiled me in this regard, but their take doesn't strike me as special compared to other, similar shows. It doesn't help that, as someone who has a keen eye for this sort of stuff, it's hard not to acknowledge that the animation took a bit of a dip after they lost Mercury Filmworks partway into season 1. It's not too noticeable most of the time in the actual episodes, but the new intro feels like so much of a downgrade technical-wise it honestly kind of hurts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. doomrider7

doomrider7 Member

My biggest gripe with the show is that character development and story does not seem to be the shows forte and when measured up against those shows even MORESO the anime shows it gets a lot of inspiration from, it sticks out a LOT.

Edit: The communities general ambivalence to this is one of my biggest gripes since I LOVE One Piece SPECIFICALLY for it's sheer world building and character development make the world feel more alive and real.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. It feels like the show no longer uses its true strengths to its advantage, at least not as much as they should, and I do always find myself a little bothered whenever a show does that. I know it's a hot thing for cartoons to be story-driven, but when one has shown to be better at handling the comedy, that's when I find being comedic preferable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. doomrider7

doomrider7 Member

It's FRUSTRATING because in episodes like Storm the Castle, Sleepover, Bon Bon, Baby, and several others it shows it CAN do good dramatic episodes with character development, but it just doesn't really do as much as it could/can with them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't particularly like the series either. I've only seen a few episodes, but it's certainly nothing to write home about for me based on that.

As for Stars Vs,, I don't think I've seen enough to call it overrated yet, but I don't see much of the appeal based on what I have seen. I may check out more of the series just to see if it does appeal to me more than I thought it would, but right now, I'd say it's just decent.

7. Toonberculosis

Toonberculosis Gets Two Scoops

I tried to get into Steven Universe really hard but I don't think its nearly as deserving as the attention it gets compared to other cartoons. The humor was very tepid, its chalk full of obnoxious and unlikable characters especially Steven, and the fanbase can be extremely toxic.

Of a cartoon I actually really liked... Adventure Time. If only because I've read some comments saying that its the defining cartoon of the 2010s era much like Spongebob was in the 2000s, and I think that is a gross exaggeration. It had two seasons or so where it was really hot, but then things like status quo and Finn being treated like crap killed its fanbase almost overnight. (Dis)honorable mention to Gravity Falls, my favorite cartoon of the era, some people worship the ground Alex Hirsch walks on and acts like the second season was flawless and the ending wasn't a disappointment. After Not What He Seems its like the show completely forgot what it was supposed to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not the only one that preferred season 1. I did like season 2, but I felt like it lost some of what got me hooked on the show in the first place. I hope season 3 will be at least somewhat of an improvement.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. doomrider7

doomrider7 Member

Don't necessarily disagree about GF, but as far as I've seen on Reddit and Tropes, most people agree that the 2nd half of Season 2 was rather weak for the most part with the ending being a mixed to positive bag. It's damn near universal though that Mabel's character was not handled very well in terms of development. It's why I don't mark the series as ever being overrated since its fandom is aware of the flaws and openly criticizes them. The fact that we almost didn't get season 2 and things were a bit rushed may have also played part. It's why many people want a continuation(which is happening via graphic novel).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. doomrider7

doomrider7 Member

[​IMG]

I kid, I kid. :D

And while Adventure Time is often credited as having jump started this new animation renaissance, saying it SAVED Western Animation is definitely Hyperbole.

11. CheesyMcNoodles

Steven Universe
    Paw Patrol
    The Loud House (Nickelodeon literally knows no one in America cares about cable T.V. anymore, so they are trying everything to get big ratings outside of 10000 SpongeBob repeats that have been on the network non-stop for as long as I can remember (It's been that way for 16 years now)
    Adventure Time (love it but it's not like Western Animation was strong in the first place, remember the awful 70's era of Western Animation?)

12. doomrider7

doomrider7 Member

Never really followed it which was a big regret, but I remember Clone Wars and how amazing that shit looked. Never got into Phineas and Ferb, but I remember that being fairly popular as well. For some reason Adventure Time exploded in a way that many other shows didn't. I think it's the fact that the show just looks like a trippy animated music video if my explanation makes any sense.

13. copper20

copper20 Member

Agreed, I just can't seem to like this show. Why do so many people like it? I found it annoying and flashy.

14. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Does animated acquisition movies airing on Nick like Ice Age (2002) and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) count? I believe they are way so overrated

15. Astroboy6969

Astroboy6969 Houston, we have liftoff, we also have a problem.

Apologies if my post offended you in any way.

16. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

It was just so long and there weren't any explanations or reasons. It was like "here's a bunch of cartoons, I'll just name some more later."