1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Overrated Cartoons

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dell Boy, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

When I watched Steven Universe, the main draw for me in the first 10 or so episodes was the art and animation style, and the actual substance seemed to really kick in around episode 13 or so. As the series progresses, they do a really good job at building up suspense over certain future events, going in depth into multiple emotional conflicts, giving many characters massive development, and providing really nice atmosphere. Granted, the way they handle overarching plots IMO isn't the best since it can lose focus sometimes, and the quality isn't particularly consistent, but most eps have at least one or two things worthwhile enough in my book. And Steven himself does become a lot more charming in all regards over time. However, if you still don't like it even after taking these things into account I wouldn't argue with you.

As for Spongebob, many people felt the show in its prime had a sense of quotability in their humor, largely because of just how many jokes are fired every minute in the better episodes and how ridiculous some of it comes off out of context. That, and the humor was for the most part quite varied given the stories and the colorful characters. I do agree the show isn't the funniest I've ever seen, but I think the reason it became as popular as it did was specifically because they threw so much humor out there that most people were bound to laugh at a few things.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I never got the appeal of SpongeBob SquarePants myself. To me, it's just Rocko's Modern Life with less satire and more obnoxious humor. Every now and then, I'll check out a classic episode or two to see if I'm missing something, but I still come out as underwhelmed as ever.

It was part of the reason that I lost interest in Nickelodeon during that period, along with the Klasky-Csupo takeover.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

I just couldn't find myself liking Steven Universe. I found Steven himself to be annoying, and I wasn't a fan of the pastel-on-pastel artsyle. But I respect that a lot of people like it, it's just not a show I can see myself getting into the way a lot of people had. But at least I can say I gave it a shot!

@Darklordaviator: That's a good way to put it, in some sense Spongebob's humor was like a watered-down Rocko's Modern Life, but without the satire. RML had a lot of bizarre and surreal scenes, and I feel that it handled those better than Spongebob did.

Another show I feet was overrated (at least in the Transformers community) was Transformers: Prime. That show had the least characterized Cybertronians ever, the plots were formulaic and the animation was bland and dull to look at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I definitely think that SpongeBob is over-rated but it was one of my fav cartoons as a kid so I can't bring myself to hate it!

As for WHY people fell in love with it:

1. memorable characters
    2. good vocal and background music
    3. unique setting

My problem with SBSP is more about Viacom over-milking it than the show itself

• Like Like x 1
  5. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

In this case don't blame the show blame the network. It really isn't the shows fault in anyway that it works that way.

6. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Yeah even if it was another show like Rugrats which was Viacom's previous cash cow I'd STILL have a problem with it because Viacom doesn't know when to let go of a show!

Although I'd be more devastated to lose SpongeBob than South Park since I have more of an attachment to the former than the latter

7. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

What opinions? All you made was a list, which isn't generally allowed here.

Are you sure that's not enough?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ShadowBlinky

I was joking.

9. Astroboy6969

Astroboy6969 Houston, we have liftoff, we also have a problem.

Oh, sorry. Now that I know that it's a joke, it seems pretty funny.

10. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Barely anyone still knows these four shows. I don't like them either, but how can they be overrated?

Also, I never had the feeling We Bare Bears has many fans. Its talkback threads don't last long, and it's even less popular outside Toonzone.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. ShadowBlinky

Only a lot of new people because they aren't aware of the rules. Sooner or later, a moderator is going to tell you and those others to explain your choices in detail.
    In any case, just because "a lot of people" does something doesn't make it right.

#71 ShadowBlinky, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
  12. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

I hardly hear anything about Evil Con Carne outside of dedicated cartoon forums. It was pretty much overshadowed by Grim Adventures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. doomrider7

doomrider7 Member

Two things.

First, I don't think GF is overrated since most of the reasons listed for it being so are problems the fandom are VERY well aware off and agree dented the show and I agree that bringing back the whole Wendip stuff that late in the game was HORRIBLY stupid(thankfully Hirsch is not a fan of that ship and actually seems to push Dipcifica quite a bit so good on him for that one).

Second, from years of playing videogames and being an MMA fan for some years I have learned something VERY valuable about entertainment and opinions on anything even remotely popular and that is that EVERYTHING is overrated AND underrated according to the fandoms and people who generally follow the mediums.

#73 doomrider7, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  14. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Didn't really answer this question before, but I will now.

Miraculous Ladybug - I don't think it's bad, but I don't find it as good as so many others make it out to be. I did like it at first, but it wasn't long before I got bored of it.

15. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

"For now?"

16. copper20

copper20 Member

Bob's Burgers and The Loud House (YES, I said that. I'm sorry but I found both shows annoying)

17. doomrider7

doomrider7 Member

Seriously? I mean I'm not necessarily disagreeing, just that I rarely hear anyone talk about this show at all. With regards to overrated, I've never gotten the appeal of Gumball and while I do like it, I'm not shy about pointing out some of the flaws(namely, poor character development and world building at times) in Star vs the Forces of Evil which the fandom treats with ambivalence as long as, "OMG SHIPPING OTP FTW!!!" are happening.

18. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

You must not go to areas where it's talked about that much. I seem to hear about it more than you do.

19. doomrider7

doomrider7 Member

Fair enough. It's just that compared to the other shows listed, I barely hear a peep about Loud House.

20. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

Gravity Falls: Don't get me right I like the show, but I think its overrated. I think it just got extremely hyped since Disney shows has a struggle at the time and this show came out.
    We Bare Bears: It's a good show, but the show seems like it tries to hard to be relateable.
    PAW Patrol: I don't know, to me this show is decent but I don't see why it is so beloved.