1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Overrated Cartoons

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dell Boy, Mar 28, 2017.

1. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

I'm speechless.

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, and if you're caught liking Pokemon, people thought something was wrong with you.
    You're boned either way, looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty much. When Pokemon was first really popular, people got on my case for not liking it, especially when I liked Peanuts and everyone hated it because I liked it. Then when I became a fan of Pokemon because I actually found that I liked the series and the games, the same people still made fun of me for it and said that we were too old for Pokemon just a year or two after the initial fad started. Needless to say, this confused and enraged me so much. That was also the point where I officially gave up trying to understand my classmates that year.

Even now, I feel a bit of bitterness whenever people talk about stuff like Pokemon Go made Pokemon popular again or even how Pokemon had the nostalgic cool factor again even before Go happened so it was okay to talk about it. I remember when it wasn't cool to admit to like Pokemon or anime, so while it's nice that things have hopefully improved in that regard for people, I'm just here wishing that it could happened when I was younger too. Maybe I wouldn't be so afraid to talk about my interests in front of people, even though that started way before I liked Pokemon too.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Gotta Catch-22'em All? Gotta Catch'em All 22?

Watch this space...I'll make this joke work...somehow.

5. Perla Magica

Perla Magica Freeform? What's THAT?!

I agree. This show is trying to extremely pay attention to viewers with episodes like "Life of Brian" which is was very dramatic one. I don't know why it's still going on and why it gets more and more stupid than usual, it's now just nonsense cutaway gags and pop-culture references without a plot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hudzmaster

Hudzmaster New Member

• Pokémon I loved it as a younger kid but later on I got bored with how repetitive it is. Ash is very cocky and annoying and Team rocket are funny for like 2 minutes but seeing them in every episode gets very old very fast. The Pokémon only say there names in a very obnoxious way and there noises go on and on. Ash has been on his quest for many years but he stays the same age. Some of the episodes are good but most of them are just filler. The games were much better and the show should have been short lived like other video game based cartoons were. Rugrats I loved this one as a kid too and it's good but certainly not as great as people say it is. It may be one of the original 3 nick toons but Doug and ren and stimpy were way better and rugrats gets all the praise. It can be interesting but the story gets old pretty fast.

#46 Hudzmaster, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't say most episodes in each Pokemon series are filler. There are a couple of series, mainly and DP and XY, where the amount of filler episodes are actually pretty small for a long running series. People tend to act like Pokemon is made of filler episodes, which is a pretty big exaggeration in my book. It's usually based primarily on just how many episodes there are in each series instead of whether or not anything important happens in an episode.

I'm more surprised that Pokemon has even come up here at all. Like I said before, I love Pokemon immensely, but outside of the previous series XY, I wouldn't really call the anime overrated. If anything, it hasn't really attracted that much attention on this site beyond the news of it leaving Cartoon Network and moving to Disney XD. Some people may praise it as something that they enjoyed in their childhoods, but that isn't really the same thing as being overrated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Young Justice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Maybe it's not overrated on ToonZone but it is definitely overrated in real life and elsewhere online.

In my (little) elementary school only one kid my age liked the anime. The others were only interested in the games and/or cards. Afterwards I found out how big it was outside my school.

People don't even ask if you like Pokemon. They automatically assume you love it. To be honest, most of the times I don't bother to tell them it bores me to death.

Pokemon is as huge as Star Wars, Marvel and Batman, which is remarkable for something this repetitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #49 Red Arrow :D, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pokemon is huge, but I'm not sure how much the anime factors into that all things considered. It was popular back in the day, did factor into how popular the brand itself during its initial fad and kids still watch the current series, but I think most of the attention Pokemon as a whole has received has more to do with the games than the anime. Most people would be just surprised that the show is still going. That is the case based on my experiences at least. The anime still promotes the games and potentially gets more people interested in the franchise, but the games have gotten more attention in the mainstream media. Even Pokemon Go during its fad period was talked about much more than the anime has been for years.

I can see people assuming that everyone likes Pokemon or at least that they did like Pokemon if they were kids back when the show was in its heyday, and for people who don't like the show/franchise, I can see how that would be annoying. I don't think that it would make the show itself overrated exactly. Maybe the original series given how much praise that has gotten over the years, but like I've said, it's not something that seems so huge compared to most of the other series listed here to where I think calling it overrated would be completely justified. Part of it could just be the circles where I do talk about Pokemon and the anime being relatively small. It's hard even for me to see the show overrated because of that. I could see considering the whole franchise overrated if you don't like anything about it, but if we're just talking about the anime, I'd find that a bit more questionable depending on what series we're talking about.

As for being so repetitive, that hasn't stopped other series from being successful. Scooby Doo and Phineas and Ferb had much more repetitive formats and they're still pretty successful. Not to mention Pokemon has a strong amount of merchandise with both toys and video games, so that gives it even more of a financial edge in a sense.

11. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Newer Simpsons seasons. They keep trying to latch onto trends, way too late might I add, and they keep relying on guest stars and making Homer more and more dimwitted.

12. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

Eh, I'm not one to talk about what is or isn't overrated. Overrated is almost always used to mean "popular and/or well-liked thing that I don't like" anyway.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I think that's how most people use it as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fawfulmark2

Fawfulmark2 New Member

In this day and age the term overrated is kinda overrated.

but if I have to submit something for this topic....the Digimon dub. thanks to the "muh childhood" card many enjoyed it but looking back it was pretty...yeah. And the "movie" was horrible.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm pretty sure that most Digimon fans consider the movie to be pretty terrible, especially when it was just three movies glued together in a not so seamless way. The show is remembered more fondly despite the dub's problems, but I don't think I've seen anyone praise the Digimon movie beyond being something that they enjoyed when they were kids.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The dub for the series, at least the first, which I recently rewatched, is hit or miss. A lot of the added jokes are dumb and don't add much, but the actual voice acting is solid.

The movie, though... yeah...

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Antonio Bravo

Antonio Bravo IDOL UP!

Basically any show that has a fanbase that is so frustrating, that I have to calm down. My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic sure is a major thing against me. The Fandom was all about males watching a female cartoon rated TV-Y and suddenly fans make Dark Fanfictions and NSFW fanart of this series because of the show itself while hating the first G1 Series thinking "it's not anime styled, so it sucks" thing. Sure Transformers has a big one, especially the IDW comics and Transformers: Prime but FIM is really huge. That's what made me not interested in the show.

Another one is the Love Live! Fanbase. Basically The show is all about friendship and making their dreams come true as idols while being really popular in Japan but America's fanbase truly kinda is a nightmare. They always hated Nico because of her "whinyness", call Nozomi a female p___ because of the whole "Washy-Washy" thing even though it's just a hug, calling Rin a boy because of her short hair and the Love Wing Bell episode and of course......shipping every single girl, calling the anime: "yuri". I just watch the dub and that's it. I would avoid Sunrise's idol fanbase to be sure.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #57 Antonio Bravo, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
  18. Red Arrow :D

That episode where Ken's parents start crying xD Hilarious. The English dub is horrible.

I hear many people like the Dutch dub of Shaman King and Bobobo bobo bobo because they turned it into an over-the-top comedy show. At one point someone says something like: "Holy moly, what do all these Chinese looking characters mean?"

19. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

I especially agree with Steven Universe, I tried to watch that show, but after like five episodes I gave up and never looked back. I don't see the big deal with that show.

Spongebob Squarepants is certainly up their in my list of overrated shows, I personally don't think the series is that good, its jokes and humor have been done better by other shows both before and after it. And I'm not just talking about the post-movie stuff either, even the first three seasons really aren't that good. Their not particularly funny or re-watchable. I know that the show is a massive pop-culture icon, but looking at it objectively, was it really all that funny? I would love to hear what other thing of my assessment. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Red Arrow :D

I liked SpongeBob when I was 6 years old but I quickly lost interest. Recently watched some episodes again and it really wasn't that good. Most jokes are rather annoying and too predictable.

• Winner Winner x 1