1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Overrated Cartoons

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dell Boy, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Banned

What are the most overrated cartoons you've ever seen?

Star vs The Forces of Evil- people give this show way more praise than it really deserves only because it hs DEEPEST LORE and an ongoing plot.
    The Loud House- this show is not as funny s people make it out to be, it's good but not great
    Invader Zim- two words HOT TOPIC

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic - The hype went as far as people saying it's actually a cartoon for adults, even though it is aired on Nick Junior, Cartoonito and Jim Jam in other countries. I am NOT saying adults shouldn't like it, people can like whatever they want, but don't start telling me the show is "deep". It handles basic themes that can also be found in all sorts of other American cartoons and tweencoms.
    Pokemon - To the point where people say things like "You're so stupid, but that's to be expected from someone who doesn't like Pokemon!" when I simply said I am not into Pokemon.
    Star vs the Forces of Evil - I find this show rather hyperactive and don't see why its fandom is huge.
    Adventure Time - This show is so weird and it is supposed to make you curious about what happened a long time ago, but I am not going to watch so many episodes for that. Apparently other people got way more curious than me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Banned

Yeah the show is weird and I'm not a fan of it myself but to a lot of people it's unique, creative and original and for that I can understand and I can respect the show for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Musical ZF

Steven Universe - The show that came out as a different thing than it was now, when the episode storylines weren't much serious as the later in the first season, around that time, I didn't do much focus on it until around early of 2015, where the show just hit peak when there was more enough drama and seriousness needed for anyone to see some changes to the show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

The Infinity Train Pilot. The pilot was good but nothing spectacular. Yet a lot of people act like it's the best thing CN has ever made.

The Ren and Stimpy Show. I've seen this show get praises for things that other cartoons have done before it. "It was the first cartoon that adults watched." Looney Tunes, Betty Boop and other cartoons were played in theaters before movies watched primarily by adults. Not to mention The Simpsons came two years earlier if they were talking in a modern sense. "It's the first creator driven cartoon that inspired a decade of creator driven shows." Yes, because it's not like Doug or Rugrats came out the very same day. It's not like The Simpsons came out two years prior.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Banned

Ren and Stimpy was unlike anything that came out in the 60s, 70s or 80s. That's why people praise it. As for Infinity Train, yeaaaaah I feel those people have been spoiled on Adventure Time and Steven Universe to the point where they want every CN show to be like them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    #6 Dell Boy, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  7. ZanyLogic5

ZanyLogic5 Active Member

Steven Universe: Don't get me wrong, i LOVE the show to death. My only problem is people seem to give it too much attention, and act like its the most spectecular show to ever happen to CN when knowing there are other shows as good as the former. It's great, but not as amazing as people make it out to be. Fans even went so far as to bash on other shows (whether it's Clarence, TTG, PPG2016 or Uncle Grandpa) that aren't SU related on CN's social media.

Infinite Train: Let me just say, ITS EVERYWHERE. I've seen the pilot and from what I saw, it's only good. Not amazing or spectecular, just GOOD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #7 ZanyLogic5, Mar 28, 2017
  8. chum_chum

chum_chum Active Member

Gravity Falls is a great show, but people who act like it was the best thing since sliced bread need to take a seat. Also it was the one show that gave birth to a common mindset that most the nu-cartoonfans love: 'If there's no lore, the show's not good'. The show def has problems, starting with the pace and ending with Mabel's entire existence (it's fun when same people who ate her up brag about hating SpongeBob and Patrick)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

R&S also had an adult edge that most TV animation seemed to lack at the time, with the wild, Looney Tunes-esque animation and it largely pushing the envelope on what kids cartoons could get away with.

And as much as I enjoyed the Infinity Train pilot, I wish people would stop begging for it every single solitary time they disapprove of anything CN posts. And while this has nothing to do with the show itself, considering how notorious Steven's fanbase is for the most part, I don't even want to picture how theirs would act.

As for my personal picks...
    *Rugrats. I don't know, am I the only one who just can't seem to get on board with the general concept and the tone? The babies' naviety is charming at first but I find that it tends to wear out after a while, and there isn't really anything that particularly grabs me.

*Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers. Apart from Ducktales, this seems to be the most fondly remembered of Disney's 80s TV cartoons, however it hasn't held up as well as people probably like to think. I will admit, there are definitely some enjoyable characters, really solid voice acting, and a lot of interesting ideas and setups. However, the pacing just feels quite slow much of the time and the sound design rather repetitive, so I just find myself getting bored while watching it, regardless of how fun it could get here and there. The animation was also pretty hit and miss, the best stuff being TMS' material in season 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #9 Toon4Thought, Mar 28, 2017
  10. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Star Vs.: I've only see a few episodes, and while I wouldn't say I hated it, I don't understand why everybody is going Gaga over it. Does it get better later on?

Regular Show: I don't get the popularity. The characters just seem unappealing and annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Banned

The popularity is probably due to the amount of adult jokes featured into the show (especially the first two seasons) and the unique brand of surrealism which I like much more than Adventure Time's, and as for the characters, well I personallly like them and yes they can get annoying at times but it's your opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Miraculous Ladybug

Apparently a love triangle, girl power, and spandex is all you need for people to overlook one of the most cliche formulaic cookie cutter cartoons to come out of France since Marathon pumped out Totally Spies and various versions of that show.

.....but I hope season 2 will be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mqg96

mqg96 Member

Rugrats - I loved it as a kid, but now I couldn't watch it and the babies & toddlers are annoying af. We're lucky this show didn't go on to the point where it became a Spongebob or Simpsons. Also, it aggravates me when someone says it's a lot better than All Grown Up. Rugrats and All Grown Up were equally good in its own ways if you weren't blinded by nostalgia. At least the characters were older on All Grown Up instead of whining babies all the time. Just because Rugrats was the first Nicktoon doesn't mean it was that legendary.

Steven Universe - I can't stand that Steven character and the feminist stereotypes that goes on throughout the show. Don't get all the hype of the story either. Adventure Time was much better in its prime.

Disney Afternoon shows - I didn't grow up with the block but I grew up with reruns on Toon Disney. I liked some of these cartoons, but the majority were mediocre spin-off's from Disney movies and have aged very poorly.

Cow & Chicken - Random toilet humor and garbage jokes everywhere. The characters are obnoxious and irritating. It wasn't the worst CN show, but it was no where near one of the top ones. People talk about how bad shows like Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, MAD, or Uncle Grandpa are. Well, Cow & Chicken was basically an old version of that.

Gravity Falls - Pretty much the same reason as others mentioned previously. It's a groundbreaking plot, but it's not the best show in the world. I've seen a couple of episodes and I don't see how it's the greatest Disney animated series of all time.

Fairly Odd Parents - Another one of those shows that have aged terribly bad that I used to like as a kid. The entire series, and I repeat, the ENTIRE series is filled with hyperactivity and randomness everywhere. Timmy Turner is such an annoying character and I can't stand Cosmo's voice. Wanda is the only tolerable character on the show. It's just about a kid making a bunch of wishes and then he has to solve his problem and fix things. This show is way too fast faced, cheesy, and bright colored. The show may have gotten worse with Poof, the dog, or that new Chloe girl, but it doesn't change the fact that the whole series has always been an insult to many other Nicktoons. Danny Phantom was my favorite show from Butch Hartman and I have no idea why that show only lasted 3 years compared to this abomination that's been going on for over 15 years. (almost 20 if you count the pilots)

American Dad
    - Has always been my least favorite Seth MacFarlane cartoon. It was never as funny as Family Guy and I thought the Cleveland Show was much better than this.

Kim Possible - There were many Disney Channel original cartoons I thought were much better than this series, like American Dragon Jake Long, Dave the Barbarian, and the Proud Family. Phineas & Ferb was a lot better than this and it wasn't close. Kim Possible started in 2002 and originally ended in 2005, but it got revived in 2007 for a final season. That's how popular it was back then. Kim Possible was a fun show but almost every episode was revolved around stopping Shego and Drakken. It got so repetitive after a while. There were other villains here and there, but man.... In later seasons Kim Possible became more unlikable and a lot more girly too. I enjoyed the Sitch In Time movie though.

My Little Pony Friend Is Magic - I did not forget this abomination. Everything about this show is awful. The brony stuff that went on around the internet made it far worse than what it already is. People acted like this show was the second coming. I already hated the original My Little Pony cartoon and toys long before this show came into existence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #13 mqg96, Mar 28, 2017
  14. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

That's terrible, fans can be the rudest, most closed-minded people you meet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Completely agreed. I grew up with almost all Disney afternoon shows and I don't like any of them anymore. I do like Gargoyles which was never aired in my youth. (at least not in Flanders)

I think people only still say they like these shows if they haven't seen them in YEARS.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Family Guy: This show sucks now. I just don't get how people still adore this trash heap, especially after awful episodes like "Brian's a Bad Father", "Screams of Silence", "Seahorse Seashell Party", "Not All Dogs Go to Heaven", "Brian's a Bestseller", "Herpe, the Love Sore", "Life of Brian", and "Christmas Guy". Even during its prime, the show was never that good and nothing to get excited about. IMO, seasons 1-6 were just merely okay, and seasons 7 and ongoing is a hit or miss ("hit" = mediocre, "miss" = bad/terrible). That 8.3 IMDb rating really baffles my mind.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Probably the most overrated cartoon that I can ever think of. I'm not even a fan of this show nor do I watch it, but I'm aware of how good it is. I don't think it's nothing special though. Honestly, I think the cute character designs and the preachy songs convinced a lot of people that the show is the greatest thing ever made since a light bulb was invented. Also, I just hate how the show clogs up the internet most of the time, to the point where almost every unrelated Google image search I make gives out pictures of the show. It's....that annoying.

The Loud House: Don't get me wrong, I really like this show (despite its flaws) and I think it's one of Nick's best efforts in recent years, but I feel that it gets praised too much sometimes, especially on 4chan/8chan, Deviantart, and Youtube.

Star vs. the Forces of Evil: I also really like this show, but like The Loud House, it has its flaws. With that said, I don't get why people overlook on this show and not on other Disney cartoons (Randy Cunningham, Wander Over Yonder, Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero, Future-Worm!, Pickle and Peanut and even Milo Murphy's Law comes to mind)? Pickle and Peanut I can understand since the ugly art style turns away a lot of people (despite that, I'm proudly still a fan of said show), but the other five are equally as good (if not slightly better) as Star vs. (which is a really good cartoon, but certainly no masterpiece). They deserve more praise than what they're getting, honestly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. ZanyLogic5

ZanyLogic5 Active Member

Not to mention the fandom.

As for Youtube, I don't know about it being that popular on there because you know..........VCS.

18. UberHamster

UberHamster Member

The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack: I never found the reason on why people like this show so much, it's gross and disturbing. Looking back at it now, it's not appealing at all.

Invader Zim: People treat this show as a cartoon handcrafted by God but it was just a good show. Gir isn't really that funny anyways.

Ren and Stimpy: I used to watch this on Nicktoons once as a kid and was scared af. This show wasn't even funny, and had aged badly. I guess people in the 90s liked gross humor a lot.

Steven Universe: Don't get me wrong it's a good show but the fanbase is horrible, it's just a bunch of SJW's and LGBT members hiding in Tumblr. And some episodes are just sometimes boring and dull.

Miraculous Ladybug: The episodes are the same thing every time and it can get very repetitive. People basically like the show because of the ships.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: I never got how adults find this amusing, it's just a generic cartoon musical. And it's so annoying to see it in every corner of the Internet.

South Park: This show used to be good, when it was about 4 boys in a small town going through funny situations and when there was subtlety, wit, and irony. Now it's just a forced parody of politics and society. And if you dare criticize about the show it's fanbase will attack you immediately.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

My list of cartoons that I think is overrated:

SpongeBob: I was never fan of SpongeBob and don't understand it's popularity is up there with stuff like Classic Looney Tunes and Bullwinkle in my opinion. Although, I did like the "Bank Geeks" episode, I feel this show has overstayed it's welcome at this point and is overrated by a lot of folks because if it's early seasons. On top of that, it's frustrating how other cartoon shows end or get canned, but this show continues in my opinion.

Rugrats: I could never get into this show. I guess I don't understand the babies genre here.

The Magic School Bus: Not interesting enough to my liking. Just can't get into it.

Sailor Moon: Too frilly and feminine for my liking. The main character just really annoys me.

Evil Con Carne: Completely forgettable. Just the idea of talking brain attached to circus bear along with a stomach is too much for me as well as that disturbing "Tiptoe through the tulips" episode that was too crude to watch.

Cow and Chicken: Much like @mqg96 said, basically toilet humor and garbage everywhere. Probably the WORST CN Cartoon Cartoon from the 90's.

20. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Musical ZF

What is "VCS"?

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk