1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Orphan Shows The Hub Should Adopt

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by BonnieB21:-), Aug 29, 2011.

1. Robot_Jones

Robot_Jones My name is EGGSPITCH

Teletoon Owns the rights to Newt so,there's a glimmer of hope their.

Correct.

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Ned's Newt flopped on Fox Kids, there's no toy line that I know of, and the series is mostly forgotten here in the U.S., so what would be Hasbro's incentive to acquire it?

3. CowBobRanchPants

Freakazoid definitely! It could add to all the Steven Spielberg cartoons.

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Freakazoid! has always been more popular with older kids and adults than it was with younger kids, though Animaniacs also had a big adult following. Also, F! would have to air weekends only due to its' low episode count (24).

5. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

Let's not forget about Histeria!; it's also a Spielberg cartoon series.

6. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

I don't think Spielberg was involved, just Ruegger and Warner Bros.

7. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

You mentioned Freakazoid and Histeria!, what about Road Rovers, Mucha Lucha, Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, Detention, and/or Loonatics Unleashed?

8. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

I doubt that would happen. Road Rovers and Detention were only 13 episodes and most people forgot about it, so there's little demand, Mucha Lucha disappeared and became obscure, Loonatics Unleashed was a flop critically and financially, and Sylvester and Tweety...actually might have a chance on the channel; the others though I see little to no chance.

9. Goldstar Neo

Histeria! was produced by Tom Ruegger and Warner Brothers. Steven Spielberg wasn't involved.

The only one of those choices that I could possibly see happening is Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries. That series wasn't ratings monster, as i recall, but everyone knows who Sylvester and Tweety are. Both Road Rovers and Detention were "quickies" (quickly gone and forgotten) and both only ran for a single season (only 13 episodes of each). Mucha Lucha is mostly forgotten now, and I really, really don't see anyone wanting to acquire Loonatics Unleashed. Mind you, The Hub was willing to acquire Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation for some reason.

10. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Yeah, I'm surprised they picked up Next Mutation. If they were going for a show from Saban, I'm surprised they didn't think of acquiring Beetleborgs. It's probably the most popular thing Saban has that the cable rights are up for grabs for.

11. Silverstar

My guess is that Hasbro acquired Next Mutation just because it was a Ninja Turtles series that they could afford. They were probably able to get it for a song since there wasn't a huge demand for it.

12. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

After seeing several Muppet related programs like Fraggle Rock, I think the Hub should air Muppet Babies (with syndicated "Go Bye Bye" segments at the end) and the animated series remake of Fraggle Rock.

13. Silverstar

Whether or not The Hub could air Jim Henson's Muppet Babies depends on the ownership/broadcasting rights over the many TV show and movie clips that were featured on the show, also the "Go Bye Bye" outros weren't added for syndication, they aired on the show's original network run on CBS.

No real need for The Hub to acquire the animated Fraggle Rock when they already run the live-action version from time to time, which is far superior to its' animated counterpart. The cartoon version has long since fallen into obscurity. Most people have forgotten that Fraggle Rock had a cartoon, and as such there's no real demand for it.

#333 Silverstar, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
  14. Sparkster24

Sparkster24 Well-Known Member

I think the only thing The Hub needs to improve is giving more variety into genres aside both Action & Girl-Centric. I'm glad The Hub Network returned some action in the schedule to give a spare balance.. but I feel they need more upon others to gain a well diversity. Like having genres from Comedy, Game Shows, Sci-Fi, Drama, and even Retro for acquistions in a way to balance off from each other.

15. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

How about the Hub getting the rights to rerun Perfect Strangers?

16. Silverstar

I suppose that would be possible, though I'd personally like to see The Hub move beyond just airing old sitcoms at night. Even to be retro, there are other genres they could air, like these.

17. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd think there's a better chance of Me-TV getting Perfect Strangers than the Hub.

That aside, since the Hub has Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, inevitably they'd want to add Xena. The question then becomes one of when they can get it.

18. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

The Hub should include Taz-Mania and Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries. They both had as many episodes as Animaniacs and Pinky & the Brain, right?

19. Goldstar Neo

Taz-Mania had 65 episodes. Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries had 52 episodes. Taz-Mania had the same number of episodes as Pinky & the Brain (65 episodes), but Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures top them all with 99 episodes each.

Honestly, I think that The Hub shouldn't rely too much on the Silver Age Warner Brothers cartoons. Hasbro wouldn't really benefit from becoming "Kids' WB/Fox Kids Too". They should be looking for more original "in-house" productions and acquisitions. Some variety in The Hub's lineup would be better.

#339 Goldstar Neo, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  20. Silverstar

I agree; I'd prefer to see The Hub dial back on the Silver Age WB shows rather than acquire more and risk becoming too dependent on them. At times it seems like they're already a little too dependent on them right now. However, if they were to acquire more of them, I'd say relegate them to single block. Have them all rotate in the 5-6 PM time slot and call it That's Warner Brothers! or something similar. That way you get the WB package without the shows dominating the schedule.