1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Online conduct- What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by HellCat, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beat

Beat Retired

The changeover from Castlevania II from good to bad (even in the NES days it was always considered the inferior of Castlevania III, although that game is considered one of the greatest NES games ever made) has NOTHING on Spoony and Final Fantasy VIII. Literally overnight, the game turned from being a fan favorite (for the most part) with a romantic dance scene into a game that "sucks and you suck for liking it." Literally overnight. And heaven help you if you disagree.

Now I think these reviews are hilarious at points, but the internet is not always right, (I personally don't have an opinion either way on FF8) especially in matters such as personal taste. Just because Internet Reviewer X hates your favorite game doesn't mean you have to throw it into a bonfire. Treating it as such completely misses the point of parody, and makes you look like a zombie.

2. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I guess you know where I come down on that name thing, GW. I figure if you're going to say something you should stand behind it, so my handles are usually just my name. It's just a holdover from being a reporter and putting my byline on everything I wrote. It's not like I'm Spider-Man and I have to protect my identity to keep villains from targeting my loved ones. I doubt anyone's going to throw my girlfriend off a bridge because of how I bash Scrappy Doo.

However, I would never stoop to attacking someone just because they don't use their name as a handle. That's just a lame ad hominem attack. And I can understand the idea of wanting to create an online persona. After a certain point that persona becomes so well established it doesn't matter if it's Andrew T. Hingston or Sketch saying it, either one has more than 20,000 posts and you know where to find them if you disagree with them.

When people try to switch personas with a name change or making new accounts after showing their ass in the old one, though, now that is hiding behind a user name. And pathetic.

Reading comments on the Microsoft E3 press conference reminded me of one of the things that most annoys me about video game fans, the way they act like Rare is some kidnapped princess stolen away by Microsoft. Uh, they jumped ship on their own, and the lower quality of their games in recent years has a lot more to do with the fact that most of their most talented people left to start their own companies like Free Radical, not because of eeevil Microsoft abusing the princess in his castle.

Great point, Beat, he definitely warped the perception of it. Spoony and FFVIII would still be my second example, though, as I think the Nerd has more influence. And I think and have always thought Simon's Quest is clearly better than Castlevania III, mostly because of the innovative RPG-element formula that would eventually lead to games like Symphony of the Night.

3. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Sure, but there are people out there who do believe that their own personal interest in a hobby is invalid if others disagree.

Bring the Critic's forum up as an example, there was a poster who declared that she would no longer follow the Twilight franchise. Not because she grew out of it, or was losing interest, but simply because everyone else didn't like it.

4. Shawn Hopkins

That's the thing we're complaining about. It's just pathetic that someone would switch to anti something they like or something they don't know about because of something a charismatic or influential person says, and it's doubly annoying when you actually like the thing on its merits and have to deal with legions of that person's followers mindlessly tearing it down as if mind controlled.

5. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

If that's referring to me, I can safely say that I have never thought Microsoft killed Rare. I'm merely saddened at how far they've fallen downhill since the N64 generation. It didn't start with the Xbox.

6. Shawn Hopkins

It's not just you, but, uh ...

The word enslavement certainly seems to put the onus on Microsoft.

Another one, when people say something stupid and then try to cover it either by:

A. Trying to convince you that when they said, "Hitler was Australian, you idiots," it wasn't what it was clearly intended to be by pretending they were going by some crazy personal definition or weird alternate logic that no one else would have ever even guessed at, but you're still such a dumbass for not figuring it out, I guess telepathically.

B. Trying to convince you that even though their post starts with "Hitler was Australian, you idiots," if you had just read the rest of it you would have seen all the obvious clues that they were completely right all along.

C. Arguing with you for post after post about every other possible element of what was said and any side arguments they can bring in while carefully never addressing the factual inaccuracy of the actual "Hitler was Australian, you idiots," statement. There's a banned member from here, who I won't name, who was the absolute master of this "sliding argument" and would systematically exhaust every point available to him while ignoring the inconvenient ones where he was blatantly wrong.

#1306 Shawn Hopkins, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2010
  7. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I meant enslaved to this particular direction. I don't see them going back to where they were again. Especially since so many people jumped ship right before it was announced.

They're doing this because they screwed up one too many times and there's nothing left for them to do except pump out these games now.

8. Shawn Hopkins

Ha, I knew you'd do that. :D

That's the reason why I preemptively posted that stuff about people pulling non-obvious "personal" definitions out of their asses to try to deflect what it was completely clear they were talking about in the first place. I thought it would save time. You think Rare is Nintendo's Princess and you're mad the Princess is in another castle, dude. Admit it.

9. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

You're trying too hard. I haven't enjoyed a RARE game since Conker and I've been consistently disappointed in them since then.

I don't know what you're trying to do here except make something out of nothing. But hey, that's another way to pull something out of your ass, huh? ;)

10. Shawn Hopkins

I did not start this line of debate to target you or to sow some kind of drama. You aren't even the only person in the threads -here- doing the woe is Rare I shed a single tear for them thing, and I check several video game boards where other people are doing it and I wanted to respond to that.

I do apologize for being a little too snarky in my previous post (and for good measure the version of this before I edited it), though. I was going for "poking fun," but it came off "being an ass."

#1310 Shawn Hopkins, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2010
  11. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Sorry about the overreaction. I guess I just don't like being singled out for that type of thing in general.

I probably shouldn't respond at 3am, either. But hey, whatever's done is done.

12. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for playing nice, guys. However, things have gotten ugly pretty quickly, so rather than leave the temptation for further trouble, I'm going to go ahead and close this thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.