1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Online conduct- What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by HellCat, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Nameless

The Nameless Demoted Regular

Seconded. I hate the "if you disagree with me you are wrong/an idiot" mentality, it seems at least mildly egotistical.

2. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

C'mon. If I want to say, for example, that Scooby Doo is the best cartoon of all time, I shouldn't have to minimize that statement by saying it's just my opinion. Of course it's an opinion, that's clear from the context and it would show a lack of confidence in that opinion to almost apologize for the statement at the same time as I expressed it.

Generally it does seem to be that the people who have trouble with this kind of thing are the kinds of people that are less confident in expressing and defending their opinions. Since Toonzone moderation provides a safe haven for people that wouldn't survive in the zoo that is other parts of the wider internet, we get a lot of people like that here. There were even two guys who were complaining that just reading other people's strongly expressed opinions made them feel stupid in another thread.

But the answer isn't to expect everyone to put a disclaimer on everything they say, it's to learn to be more confident in your own opinions and not to get distressed when other people think different thoughts than you and think them strongly.

3. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

Shawn's got a good point. I go to another message board that's infamous for its trolling and lax moderation, and I can still manage to hold some serious discussion with others there because I don't allow the other guys to push my buttons. This is pretty hard to pull off especially with how many stealth fanboys the place houses.

4. The Nameless

The Nameless Demoted Regular

^^I generally precede opinions with "I think" or something in that vein, so as to avoid a firestorm in certain parts of the Web.

I honestly think the idea of "bad taste" is silly and slightly elitist.

^Speaking of fanboys, another online thing that gets on my nerves is anyone who acts like it's an affront to their very existence if someone says anything critical of something they like. I used to do it, but I realize it's stupid and don't do it anymore. Just because someone doesn't like Firefly does not make them horrible monsters.

#1284 The Nameless, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2010
  5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Co-singed. It's annoying and close to impossible to have an intelligent conversation with fans who are so devoted to their favorite show, or their favorite character on a show that they act as if it's blasphemous to say something bad about them. There is such a thing as "constructive criticism", you know. You can point out a character's or a shows' shortcomings or something that annoys you about a character (even one that you like) sometimes. Just because someone isn't showering a character with praise 24/7 that doesn't automatically make that person a "hater".

#1285 Goldstar Neo, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
  6. Radical Raven

Radical Raven Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...

Playing off some of the stuff being said above, I really hate this reflex so many posters across the internet seem to have, where even the friendliest disagreement is met with "RESPECT MY OPINION", or something similar. If you just want people to agree with you and be silent, then you're the one being disrespectful.

Even when people are less aggressive about it, constantly mentioning how things are "just" an opinion is counter-productive. I think what I think and You think what You think, but if we leave it at that then what is there to talk about? I'm not saying every discussion on the internet has to turn into an argument, but arguments shouldn't be shunned, either.

7. Shawn Hopkins

Yeah, seriously. It's hilarious when people think that just saying something is an opinion disqualifies all questions and debate.

8. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm half and half on it. Yeah, friendly disagreements shouldn't have to involve someone saying "my opinion" but on the internet, we don't say, have a tone of voice to indicate our mood and thus clarity is pretty important to avoid misunderstandings.

9. Shawn Hopkins

That only comes into play with sarcasm or kidding, though. And sometimes when dealing with people on the autistic spectrum.

Otherwise, it should always be clear from the context whether someone is stating an opinion or stating a fact. Now, people can get their facts wrong. Despite the fact that some people think calling it an opinion protects them from all debate, they can even have opinions that are wrong. That's where you jump in and disagree with them and debate. You don't whine that they stated their opinion too strongly and didn't provide proper disclaimers.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That is a good and valid point. It's just that some of the posts I've seen in other forums do have people acting under the mentality that their opinion is infallible and that anyone else who thinks otherwise is wrong/delusional. It's that kind of attitude that bothers me and doesn't make me feel that the conversation is going in a polite manner. I could disagree or agree with those opinions labeled as facts, and I have done so in the past, but it still feels annoying to me.

I don't really think that labeling a statement as your opinion minimizes said statement. I usually try to type my sentences with "I" messages in order to make it clear that it's what I think, but also because I generally think that "I" messages sound more positive in discussions. But that's just me.

11. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

What annoys me about these situations is people online who have such little tolerance for an opposing view that they go to immature lengths to silence the other side, all whilst claiming to respect everyone's right to opinion and that they're apparently mature. There are some really pathetic, needy people online and it's kind of depressing that they can't see it themselves. For crying out loud, guys. Just stick some socks down the front of your pants if you feel the need to compensate that badly.

12. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Meant to respond to this a lot sooner, but couldn't put the right words together to voice it.

When I made that post, I wasn't talking about those who have no interest in the Nostalgia Critic. My post was and is targeted towards those who like the Critic, but don't like to see their favorite movie being critiqued (to the point of feeling offended).

See, the NC episodes are like a joke. A lot of the fans obviously like the joke and laugh at it, but when their favorite movie is the subject of the joke, they take personal offense.

Now a religious, racial and sexist joke I can understand prompting the audience to feel uncomfortable, but other than issues of security, I can't see why they dread their favorite movie being the subject of a review.

13. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Like Shawn said, there are a lot of people on the internet who take everything they read at face value and in my experience many of them couldn't tell a fact from an opinion if it ran up and kicked them in the crotch. Many times I find myself prefacing strong opinions with "IMHO" just to avoid a pointless argument with someone who is either too young or too stupid to know any better.

Don't get me started on the nimrods who think "your opinion" is a good counterargument.

And one reason why I think there are people who dread guys like the NC or the AVGN reviewing (or bashing) something they like goes back to this "face value" stuff. Lots of people (again, mainly the young or stupid) are going to listen to the Nostalgia Critic bash something in his review and just adapt that opinion as their own because something popular said so. Same thing happens whenever South Park attacks something. Family Guy fans know that too well. The last thing a fan of something wants to deal with are some sheep hating on something because of the NC or the AVGN.

#1293 DarthGonzo, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
  14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I mostly see this in Pokemon forums, but it is still annoying when people misuse the term filler. I think a lot of people use it as another way to describe an episode as boring or they just don't like. I've seen people labeling episodes where Pokemon are released or learn a new move as filler, even though there has been some changes to the cast and story in those short of episodes.

15. Shawn Hopkins

Right. Do you know that Simon's Quest sucks? It does, ask anyone on the Internet, it's one of the worst games ever released for the NES. Of course, before Youtube it was one of the best games for the NES, but the AVGN has successfully retconned reality and even people who would have praised it before he came about now amplify the game's minor flaws to where they make it unbearable and unplayable. People are either too stupid to get the joke or just assume there's a significant grain of truth to it or why would he be saying it?

And now Linkara is doing the same thing for my other favorite hobby, comic books. I tried to defend some of the things he bashes in the thread on the comic book board, but I might as well be talking to a wall because hey, he's got a Web show. If he says it sucks, of course it does, there's no need to read it for yourself or think about whether he might be exaggerating a little bit for comic effect. He's got characters and skits, people!

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the shows personally, but I have nothing against these guys as people and what irks me isn't even really their fault. But the impact it has on the Internet and the subset of its users who are very content not to think for themselves is annoying.

#1295 Shawn Hopkins, Jun 13, 2010
  16. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I apologize in advance if I've said this before, but this thread is now 65 pages long, and I'm too lazy to back check. Anyway...

What grinds my gears is posters who purposely act like the meanest insulting jerks on the planet just because they know that they're safe with a computer, keyboard and a monitor to hide behind. Just because no one can see your face, that doesn't give you the green light to be a giant jerk to everyone else on the forum or blog, or what have you.

There's this one guy on a forum (who I won't mention by name, but he knows who he is), shortly after he 1st joined, he and I had what I thought was a minor disagreement about Toonami (I don't even remember what was said now), and ever since then, he's treated me as if I punched his mother in the stomach while wearing brass knuckles. Sheesh! It's just TV, dude. Get over it.

Anyone who uses the anonymity of the internet to act like a creep on wheels fits my description of a coward.

#1296 Goldstar Neo, Jun 13, 2010
  17. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Half the time the guys who do this are the sort of people who could never hold their own in real life and would probably get their teeth punch down their throat if they attempted to be the sort of people they are on the internet.

18. KPTitan

KPTitan The Doc is in...

This. I get so sick and tired of people who's main purpose of joining a forum is to just act like a jerk to everyone. On another forum, I finally had the guts to tell somebody off like that when nobody else would. "But I joined this forum because I'm a fan of *insert gaming/anime franchise here*, but I hate 95% of the stupid opinions and speculation that all these noobs come up with." I don't care. You don't act like that to a bunch of random people just because you hate their ideas on something. It's called an Ignore List... or better yet, just flippin' leave.

This also. It's like more than half the time on other forums, I feel like it's almost an obligation for me to put "my opinion, IMO, ect." in every single post of mine, when it really shouldn't be an obligation of mine in the first place. People should have enough common sense to tell the difference between an opinion and a fact. It's also annoying when they constantly ask you "give me a source or it didn't happen" on occasions when a source isn't even needed in the first place.

The "your opinion" as a counter-arguement is annoying too. When they say that, it almost comes off like they're some whiny little kid who got their panties in a major bunch because they got proven wrong, or their opinion differs from others. I also can't stand it when somebody goes "I respect your opinion, but..." and then they go off on you, like you insulted their mother or something.

I think one of the biggest things that annoys me is when somebody is in constant denial about certain facts that were proven to them, and after being jerks to everybody else who tried to reason with him/her they never apologize afterward. It's especially annoying when they try to dig up every tiny thing they can, even stuff that ain't even there, to try and prove their point when it's clearly been proven wrong beforehand. On a side-note, whoever is in disagreement with them, they go around and call them "stupid", "gullible", "idiots", ect. Good gawd, if you've been proven wrong on something, just accept it and move on.

Another one is abuse of mod power. I noticed that with a couple people on another forum.... once they were upgraded to a mod, they've been using it as an excuse to be major jerks to other people. What's even worse is that they were like that before becoming mods, so I sit there and wonder how in hell they became mods in the first place.

19. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

Let's keep personal squabbles out of this thread. If there are problems, take it to PMs.

20. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

*crickets chirp*

Guess I'll kick this back on topic!

There is something to complaining about jerks that hide behind anonymity online. However, there is more than one simple explanation for why handles are used online. Some people have handles because they want to express something about themselves. Also, c'mon, let's face it. Some of us don't have real life names that we think would make a neat forum name! Such people are generally fine with their names, of course, but that doesn't mean they think it is particularly succinct or "cool" to use. So in the midst of a serious argument, saying something like "that's easy for YOU to say, hiding behind your username!" can be a cheap way to avoid dealing with an issue. It's kind of like citing Nazis; you bring that up when it's actually appropriate instead of abusing the subject for an easy punchline. Otherwise, you lose and you're probably grinding my gears.

BTW, no, nothing brought this on. Just an observation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.