Online Conduct 2- What niggles your noggle?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by HellCat, Oct 5, 2010.

1. HellCat

HellCat Administrator Staff Member

A while back, we had a thread which was intended for restrained venting and discussion of general online behaviour trends. Whilst successful, the thread met a bad end and was closed some months back.
    The general overall success of the thread has led to starting over. However, if this new attempt should spiral into the same problems as the previous one then it will be closed and the concept of such a thread abandoned. The thread itself is concerned with general trends and behaviour online you feel to be rude, petty, etc. It is NOT a place for you to launch personal attacks or air dirty laundry, be it related to this forum or elsewhere.

===

I'll start things off by mentioning people who don't actually read what you say and instead jump the gun on a bad interpretation. If they eventually understand these people often blame you for poor communication, even if the majority got what you were saying exactly. It's really poor behaviour to my mind, especially if you then can't even admit you were the one in the wrong. Mistakes are acceptable if you can at least have the maturity to admit when you've made one instead of pointing the finger.

2. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Happy's happy. Are you happy?

Grammar issues that are irritating and shouldn't be difficult to fix. Sometimes people tend to type 'there' in place of 'their', 'your' instead of 'you're', and so on.

3. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Call To Rebellion

The overuse of internet memes and fads. It gets really annoying when people reuse the same meme over and over again. Its ok when its appropriate or witty, but if its used ad nasuem, then the joke gets stale.

As for fads, its just when people make silly and pointless threads. For example, on another forum I am a member of, there were a large number of Roleplaying threads. It didn't help that nearly all the topics were titled "A [Insert name here] For You!"

Whats worse was that they didn't contribute any useful commentary, were a waste of room and time, and really had no place in the General forums. It was like some meme gone horribly wrong, and spread stupidity in its wake.

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

I really just hate over aggressive replies. It starts feeling like an attack after a while and makes it a lot more likely for your point to get drowned out than if you went about it in a polite or easygoing manner.

5. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

People who think being a jerk is the height of humor. Especially when combined with the "umad" meme.

6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

When people talk at you and not to you. By this, I mean when a poster will state and re-state the same point ad nausea and will continually repeat the same question that they originally raised, even after others have answered said question. Why even post on a public forum if you're not interested hearing in anyone else's opinions? Just create a blog or something and post your own thoughts to your heart's content.

People who type Cartoon Network as "cartoonnetwork". It's Cartoon Network. 2 words. Not 1. Aside from on message boards, when has the channel's name ever been printed this way?

When hardcore fan boys/fan girls label you a "hater" or an "anti (fill-in-the-blank)" just because you disagree with them or dislike whatever TV show or fictional character that they love and worship. Just because I'm not a fan of something doesn't make me a "hater".

And of course, people who flamebait. What's worse is when their unsuspecting victims take the bait and end up earning themselves an infraction as well as the troll (this has even happened to me a couple of times).

7. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Passive-aggression; that is, making a snarky/rude comment and then feeling like you're being attacked or that the other party is illogical or overreacting when you're called out on your attitude. It's the absolute worst.

8. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

When people have a thing that they like, be it a show, a movie, a character, a fetish, what have you, and they go out of their way to bring up this particular passion in every single post they make, even when it has no bearing on the subject whatsoever, and/or create thread after thread just to discuss said passion.

There's nothing wrong with being a fan of something, I have my share of things in popular culture which I'm partial to, but it's not necessary to ram your passion down everyones' collective gullets. We get it. You like this thing. No need to bludgeon us with it. Relentlessly bringing up your favorite thing in every post, especially when it's not appropriate or relevant to the topic, borders on spamming, and it's absolutely annoying to boot. Just mention your fondness for this thing/show/movie/person in your sig so it'll always be there for all to see and you won't have to mention it in all of your posts.

9. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

When someone posts something that makes me nerd rage, but I can't respond to it without sending a thread way off topic.

I think a good rule of thumb for this thread is this. If you're in a tussle with someone at Toonzone and they grind your gears, wait at least a week or so before posting about the element of their conduct that grinds your gears here, if at all. Don't run and post it here while tempers are still high. Even when you couch it in in general terms they will inevitably see it, they will put two and two together, and that will just bring the fight to this thread. This was something I learned from hard experience in the old thread.

10. Kindness King

Kindness King New Member

People who generalize and insult other people just because some movie they hate does well at the box office or something they like does poorly. People just like different things. That's part of what makes us unique. Calling a group of people you don't know or have even met by childish insults like "idiot" or "retards" makes yourself look stupid. It doesn't make you any better or smarter. :shrug:

11. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Go green!

Topic titles that are overly vague and/or don't state the topic.

"A question..."
    "Something funny!"
    "A rant."

I usually never click on them because it just seems like a waste of time. Luckily on forums like this one it previews a little bit of the first post if you scroll over it.

12. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord

Even worse is when someone is asking if a show like Static Shock is on it's way to DVD, the topic is titled like this "Static Shock: Remaining episodes to be on DVD" rather than like this "Static Shock: Remaining episodes to be on DVD?".

Normally I don't believe in getting uptight over a minor grammer error, but without the question mark, the thread appears to be announcing a DVD Release rather than asking about it.

13. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

People who punctuate questions with the period, e.g., "How is this possible.". Come on. Why deprive the question mark of it's one and only job? Is it really so much work to hold down on the 'Shift' key for a fraction of a second?

14. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I do that sometimes. It's always just a mistake, though, so I can't see getting annoyed with it unless it's a very common pattern. I mean, I noticed you had an its/it's error in your post here, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you did not mean to do that.

15. Dens Maris

Dens Maris Humble Supporting Character

Hair-trigger oversensitivity. This is a general peeve of mine, but it's much more pronounced on the internet for whatever reason. (Has the phrase "posting on eggshells" been coined yet? ;))

16. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

Just so you know, Shawn, I wasn't being entirely serious when I typed that this morning. Admittedly, I could have used an emoticon or 2 to make that fact more evident, but I generally don't use a lot of smileys in my posts because I assume that most of the folks here at TZ are intelligent enough to recognize when I'm joking or not.

17. Rainbow Sharpie

Rainbow Sharpie gonna bury you with my sound~

When People Capitalize Every Word In A Sentence.

I'm sorry, but I just find it very annoying when people do that, and I can't explain why. It's a big pet peeve of mine. :sad:

18. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator

Usually when that happens on tz, it means that the poster was trying to type in all caps, which gets filtered out so the first letter of each word is capitalized but nothing else is.

It is kind of annoying, although not as much as an all-caps post, which is a big eyesore.

19. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Giant walls o' text. They're a pain to sift through and they just hurt my eyes.

I'm not saying that all posts should be short; I'm very wordy and tend to make long posts myself, but separating your paragraphs and passages by hitting the space bar and the Return key doesn't hurt.

20. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

One thing that really bothers me is when I PM someone and that person doesn't even bother to check the PM in question. I find it quite rude that the unconfirmed receipt is still in my inbox after nearly two months, and the poster spends several hours on the boards daily. At least, open the PM so I can think that you read it.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT.