1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

One Piece

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by HellCat, May 28, 2008.

1. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Discussion thread for One Piece. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

I think this article is confusing. It focuses a little on the Japanese origins then seems to get tangled up on what happened to it on the US. I think a more balanced focus is needed. The origins should come first, followed by a mention of the US mess but also what happened in other countries. The point is to make a factual, user submitted database. Not an uneven soapbox for the issues fans feel are important.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Also, a few words on what the show is about are needed. Introducing a reader to a given cartoon has to be the first goal of an entry like this, and that should be the first thing anybody sees.

3. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

How far into Luffy's crew would this be allowed to go to? I mean, current manga stuff can understandably be left out but what would the limit be?

Stop it at Drum Island? Alabasta? Water 7? (Though, Water 7 may be pushing it as is. >.>)

4. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

I thought that Thriller Bark would be pushing it since it still going on in the anime, and the game for the Wii had spoilers for what happened after Water 7 arc.

5. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

...This needs some help. We also need some stuff on the show's history as a manga, the characters, and etc.

6. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

As this is an animation site. I pose the question. Will this Wiki focus on every part of a franchise that had a cartoon or should it focus almost entirely on the animated series itself and merely make mention that the series began as a comic?

I would have put in synopsis and character profiles and such but before I could do that I wanted to see how those things were formatted and also I wanted to know how far we would go into the story of the anime. I suppose I still could have at least posted a general synopsis for everything up to at least the begining of Skypiea but I figured I wasn't going to be the only one working on this one.

If we are going from the perspective that anything that already happened in Japan is okay to mention then I still would not go past Water 7 for the moment. That could be added later.

If we are going to tailor this for viewers in English speaking countries then we shouldn't go beyond where the dub stopped in Australia for now but as the games already leaked most details from Skypiea and some details from Water 7 we could at least include the elements that were already presented in the video games.

And in my defense, I did my best to keep my opinion of that dub out of the article. Merely mentioning much like Wikipedia that the 4kids dub was criticized by fans for changes because that is the only fact present in a sea of opinions and the easiest way to get to the One Piece page current (besides a search) was to get the link from the Toonami page but I also included the entire release history for the US including the edited only DVDs, the uncut DVDs, and the manga graphic novels along with serials in Shonen Jump. You know me, I'm all about the industry side of things. I would expect there is someone else at TZ who would do a better job summerizing the One Piece story thus far. So let's get crack'n.

7. HellCat

No need to defend yourself. The issue is the article :) Bad karma to start going after people this early in the Wiki's life. We've got some good people here, I'm sure we can avoid the pompous squabbling of other Wikis ;)

8. HellCat

The article is currently rather informal and outdated (doesn't seem to have been updated in nearly a year). Would any One Piece fans like to take a crack at it?

9. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

All right, added a spot for the Openings & Endings. Only thing that took a couple checks was the spot for the 2nd "We Are!" but, everything's in place now.