1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

One Piece is leaving Toonami/Adult Swim.

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by SuperFan2024, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At this point, I really hope that they don't air another Gundam series besides IBO season two. Unicorn is so boring that it makes the idea of getting into the Gundam franchise even less interesting to me.

I don't think that Turner made this decision. This was all the Toonami crew's decision and I don't think that they'll have a huge loss in ratings. They don't normally get rid of shows that are successful ratings wise like this.

There's also Jojo. It's not as goofy as One Piece or Dragon Ball Super, but it's at least ridiculously over the top in spite of being serious. Still, One Piece was usually the most hight-hearted show on the lineup and it is going to be weird to not have it on the lineup after so many years.

2. wcwboy77

wcwboy77 New Member

I check and far as i can see is that the last One Piece will be season 11 episode 3. But on march 25/26 they're showing One Punch Man and Naruto: Shippuden the movie (that's what I see on my cable box)

3. WickedChild

WickedChild Kissing the shadows

Just saw the announcement/amv at the commercial break in Unicorn and was pretty shocked. I figured the show would be bullet proof thanks to the fanboyism of those running Toonami, but I guess they had to make a hard choice finally, with all the other shows on.

Well OP fans, that's it. Three strikes, you're out. I think it's time to stop being as stubborn as soccer fans and accept the fact that Americans will just never love this thing that you love. And it's not cause it hasn't had a fair chance. It's had more chances than most shows could dream of.

Can we just finally admit now that One Piece, the show, is simply, objectively, just not good? Maybe it works in manga form, but the show, as they've decided to make it, is nearly unwatchable. When they're not slow-panning across a still frame for unnatural lengths of time or taking 7 episodes for people jumping off of a tower to land on the ground or making my ears bleed with annoying character voices or having fodder characters from the peanut gallery yelling what I'm supposed to be feeling in any given scene, they're beating me over the head with manipulative, cloying sentimentality that's so blunt and ham-fisted you'd think the producers of the anime must be under the impression that their viewers are all blind and deaf and have to have each scene literally drilled into their heads. Screaming is drama! Snot-tears are emotion! I have to believe this works better in manga form given its popularity, I mean I seriously hope so, or else I'd have to really wonder about anime fans more than I already do.

Couple this with the fact that western animation has so rapidly caught up with anime in just the time since these episodes have originally aired, people looking for a good story in animated form no longer need put up with the kind of frustrating practices of most long-running anime, with OP probably being the worst offender. Look at how economical your average episode of Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Star Vs The Forces of Evil, Gravity Falls, and so on, are. Look at the amount of story, emotion, and world building they can cram into an 11-minute episode, and it's a wonder that there's anyone left in this hemisphere that watches shows like OP or Naruto or DBZ. This kind of anime is fastly becoming obsolete.

#23 WickedChild, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  4. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Woooow, that's surprising/sudden, but it's a bummer when it gets to the next great eventful arc, I'll miss One Piece as much as I'm a huge fan of it:(, farewell.

I'll enjoy Tokyo Ghoul, my favorite great new action anime.

5. Ami Forte

Ami Forte New Member

Hello everyone, I just came on here and made an account just to post on how I feel for your update. While I do understand the reasoning behind getting rid of one piece, I would prefer the show not to go. If I really had to choose, and influence the lineup and scheduling for Toonami, I would go in the direction of scheduling Toonami for every night not just Saturday. The fact that Toonami has such great shows and very little time to display them one time block per week ( 11 PM EST to 3:30 AM EST ) , is silly for the long series that are currently shown on Toonami.

To any staff Toonami, I ask you if you read this to consider in the new year to be persuasive in convincing adult swim in allowing Toonami to expand to six days a week instead of just one. Surly if more time slots are available, then more chances to air shows to each of their respective audiences. Wheather a show has a long story to tell or a short one, a great story should be told from start to finish.

#25 Ami Forte, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  6. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Sorry, but the Toonami staff doesn't work here. We're a fan site.

They regularly read their Facebook page, though. You might want to post your query there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm pretty sure fans of the series already widely accept that One Piece will never be huge in America well before this news came out. A lot of fans tend to blame the 4Kids dub and Toonami starting a few hundred episodes into its run, but honestly, I don't know if it would have been big even if it had a good dub right from the start. It just had a lot of factors going against it with the art style and the tone not really fitting what the U.S. often considers Shonen anime to be like. There's a reason why DBZ and to a lesser extent Naruto caught on more with the general audience than with One Piece.

I wouldn't go as far to say that the show is objectively not good. I'd agree with the pacing problems since that has been an issue from the start practically, but I don't think that the voices are that bad. They fit with the tone of the series and fodder characters yelling things out also seems to be kind of typical for a Shonen series. I disagree with the manipulative sentimentality though. Based on the little that I have seen, One Piece does handle emotional scenes quite effectively. The terms manipulative or ham-fisted never really crossed my mind during any of the emotional scenes of the series. You may not like it and that's fine. There are problems with the series and it isn't going to appeal to everyone, but I don't think that necessarily means that it is objectively bad. There are a few shows Toonami has aired that I would say are objectively bad, but One Piece wouldn't be one of them.

Honestly, long running anime going for hundreds of episodes have been going out of style for awhile. I imagine it's in large part due to how they can't really afford to keep one series going for that long without taking any breaks. Most of the longer anime series coming out now usually don't go much past a hundred and fifty episodes with One Piece and Shippuden being the main exceptions I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I understand that 6 days can air more, but that is something that I don't think they can do. Airing that many times would be more costly for sure, and of course they share the channel with Adult Swim, which won't allow them to air more.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While it is still sad that the show won't be airing on Toonami anymore, I should point out that the show is by all accounts still successful in the U.S. It's not anywhere near DBZ or even Naruto levels, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a failure. Funimation not only licensed the series after 4Kids lost the rights, but they redubbed all of the 4Kids episodes and have reached the halfway point of the series. The DVDs are selling well enough, especially when they are far ahead of the Toonami airings, and I believe that episodes are still being legally subbed on Crunchyroll too. It's still doing pretty well for itself, especially given how the series started out in the U.S.

It may not make fans feel better about the situation, but I've thought of it like this. The show survived after being taken off Toonami the first time and it will continue to survive after being taken off the lineup again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. shamir ejaz

shamir ejaz Member

Will the season 11 episode 4 be dubbed online after the show leaves toonami so viewers can continue seeing where it left off online. What the best link to view it.

11. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

As far as I know, you can watch One Piece episodes through Crunchyroll or the Funimation website. Except I'm not sure if all of the episodes are dubbed and you made need a subscription to watch most of them.

Here are the links:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    https://www.funimation.com/shows/one-piece/

12. ANewMoose

ANewMoose Banned

Damn it.

Damn it, damn it, DAMN IT!!!

G'Dammit!

Welp. That's that. I have a strong suspicion this is the beginning of the end when it comes to One Piece in America.

The simulcast is probably safe, since it seems that people only care about the Japanese version and the most recent episodes.... but as far as the English dub goes, I'm expecting it to cease production soon.

Most people say, "Well, FUNi is really far with the dub, they reached the end of the first half - it should be fine! They wouldn't go that far if OP isn't profitable"!

Look -- I have a feeling OP is a series many distributors know is loved and love themselves, so they make do with mediocre U.S performance just to make the niche group happy. Just like Toonami did. OP has been stinking up the ratings for a while, but Toonami kept it because they love the show - not because it deserved to stay on. I have a feeling this applies with FUNi as well.... but eventually, like Toonami, that's gonna give... and they could potentially drop it.

It has been a long while since the latest boxset came out, after all and we've had no news since then... something is fishy. Something is uneasy about OP's U.S fate..... so business as usual. :-/

Ugh... this just sucks. I know Toonami tried everything they could, so I'm not blaming them... but I just wish with all my might things were different.

This is a great series and if people could give other long-running shows chances that have pacing issues as well (DBZ, Naruto, Bleach), One Piece shouldn't be any different. I don't buy that pacing excuse when the other shows do just fine once a week.

But yeah.... same ol' crap. One Piece mucking up every chance it gets. What a pathetic legacy it made of itself in the West. It's hard to believe it's so popular in Japan, given it's crap-performance here.

Oh, well.... I still love you One Piece. Even if everyone else neglects you.

Have fun with the edge-lord tripe known as Tokyo Ghoul, Toonami fans. I'm sure you'll pump that up with great ratings - if Akame Ga Kill is any indication where mainstream taste lies. Smh.

And before anyone says it - yes, I'm bitter as hell. Super bitter. Incredibly super bitter. It is what it is - UGH.

13. Daikun

Yes, every episode up to the end of season 8 is dubbed and available on FUNi's website. Not so sure about Crunchyroll, though. (I don't use that site much.)

So after OP airs its last episode this upcoming Saturday, you can just catch up using that site. There's a 2-week free trial, so if you don't want to pay cash, you have 14 days to watch episodes 385-516 for free.

14. TheCtes

TheCtes Active Member

A bit late to the party, but I want to give my thoughts as well. Obviously I'm not happy about this at all, but I do understand the decision. I imagine they stopped now because it's a more natural place to stop than anywhere in beteween Sabaody, Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marineford and the Post War arc, and all that would keep it on air for 3-4 years to come, almost as long as it's been on since the revivial.

Any theory about it coming back at the timeskip is just fans being desperate. It'd make no sense to skip what's viewed by many as being the best part of One Piece. The show doesn't pull in great enough ratings and that's it. If there was an ending in sight, I'm sure they'd have kept One Piece, but there really isn't at all, and it's not gonna recover in ratings because a great arc comes on.

Things might have been different if One Piece had aired the uncut dub from the beginning way earlier. The dub is so far behind the original anime, which probably hurts ratings too. Even when 4kids got it, the dub was still way behind, but back then it could perhaps work as a weekly show on TV, not today and not for many years to come. Especially when you can easily watch the next many episodes elsewhere. That said, had One Piece been more fortunate with this, I only think it'd have postponed it going off TV some. The anime is very long and there is no ending in sight at all. The anime isn't stopping anytime soon being incredible succesful in Japan.

With no personal offense meant, asking if we can agree the anime is objectively bad is ridiculous. Saying any anime is objectively bad is honestly ridiculous enough in itself, because it's the wrong way to use the word objective. It's not objectively bad. But we also can't agree that it's bad. One Piece is nowhere near universally hated. In Japan it's incredible succesful, thus why the anime has been able to go weekly from 1999 to now still going strong. In the Americas, it's popular too. It just doesn't work as a weekly show here with its pacing. Said pacing isn't even universally hated either. Many fans appreciate having no long filler arcs anymore which is the tradeoff. It only means that the show is much better suited for streaming here than a weekly airing. The story is very well respected even by people that have isuues with some or all of its pacing, art etc. The show is succesful on streaming sites and the DVDs are selling too. The dub is not at all ending impressively, its run on Toonami is. Anyone is free to have their own opinion, but this show has done impressively.

Anyway, with such length One Piece had to come at some point. I personally hoped it could stay for the next arc too, but Enies Lobby is fantastic and I'm very happy that it got to have TV exposure. Very pleased that the Toonami crew gave it a second chance, this time uncut. They even tried to air reruns in primetime once, though the timing was rather awful on their part. It has been a blessing to watch One Piece on TV for about 4 years again. Thank you for the good times on Toonami, One Piece.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Daikun