"Once Upon a Time" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Space Cadet, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

[​IMG][​IMG]

A new ABC original series makes its debut tonight at 8 PM Eastern. A show about fairy tales, but with a twist, the series looks at famous fairy tale characters living under a spell, not knowing who they are. The show has gotten good reviews so far, but you be the judge of that.

Episode 1.01: "Pilot"

2. JustLeagExpansio

JustLeagExpansio New Member

Requires a lot of suspension of disbelief,but it is pretty interesting,even though some moments have you tilting your head and saying Huh???? to yourself.

It's like a less violent version of the comic book series Fables.

3. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

It was pretty good. The Evil Queen is sure a nasty one. I think Snow White and the Prince should have taken care of her with a pair of red hot iron shoes (go read Grimm's Fairy Tales, you'll get what I'm talking about). I'm curious what the other characters are like in Storybrook. Especially my favorite: Jack who climbed the bean stalk. I hope they don't make him a jerk like Fables did or a villian like the Sisters Grimm books did.

4. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

I thought this series had potential, but one episode in I'm already reconsidering watching the rest of the series. I enjoy Fairy Tales, and I still remember ABC doing an old series on TGIF where Snow White and Prince Charming had been transported to our world and currently lived with their two sons looking for a way back to their world. Now we get the evil Queen as the mayor, Snow White as a teacher, Prince Charming as a comatose John Doe in the hospital, and some unknown kid who has a lisp trying to get everyone to remember their past fairy tale life. I think that Rumpelstiltskin certainly knows whom everyone actually is, and I'm interested in seeing how his story progresses. the rest left me going eh, let's wait and see if this gets better. I truly hope it does, because this is the one ABC show I was slightly interested in this year, and it is currently under-performing to my tastes.

5. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men

I had high hopes for this one but was half-expecting it to disappoint me (especially since I got early access to the Grimm pilot and have had to scratch that off my list despite having looked forward to it). Turns out I hadn't needed to worry. I loved it. There were some elements of cheese, yes, but that's unavoidable when you delve into the fairy tale realm. It felt like everyone involved just embraced the cheese factor and went with it, which made the whole thing a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this is going.

6. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Was that some time in the late 80s?

I also checked out the pilot episode of this, since the previews from the ABC fall lineup special made it look more interesting than what I had read about it. I wasn't really drawn in, and it took me a while to figure out just what was going on. So all in all, I wasn't blown away, but I'll at least check out the next couple of episodes before deciding whether I'll leave or stay. Hopefully the story doesn't end up being so convoluted like say, Revenge, which I've been contemplating ditching for that reason.

7. KJ Styles

KJ Styles The Instant Classic

I DVR'ed this on Sunday Night and watched it today. I would have watched it live if not for the WWE Vengance PPV. I absolutely LOVED it! The storyline and plot was AWESOME and I will watch or at least DVR it every week going forward. This is my second favorite NEW show of the season, only behind Person Of Interest.

8. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

Is it possible that this started off as a TV adaption of Fables? I mean didn't ABC pick up the rights for a TV show based on it a couple years ago and nothing happened?

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

That's what I've been thinking. They did want a pilot for a Fables series at one point, but nothing else was heard of it, and now a couple years later here's something remarkably similar they don't have to pay Willingham for. Maybe they thought it would be too dark; who knows.

10. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

[​IMG][​IMG]

A new episode airs tonight at 8 PM Eastern.

Episode 1.02: "The Thing You Love Most"

11. suss2it

suss2it New Member

Just watched the pilot so far, and I thought it was okay, the show definitely has potential. The kid is annoying though, but Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold is an interesting villain. Looking forward to more of him, and I wonder if the Evil Queen was effected by her own spell, since she didn't act like she was in the know like Mr. Gold did.

12. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

Okay... Two minor complaints:

1) Maleficent got taken out because she dove in front of an attack to save her pet unicorn. Seriously!? Maleficent is one of my favorite villains, and this series is seriously not doing her justice.

2) The Evil Queen claimed her apples are Honeycrisps. They are obviously Red Delicious apples. Not cool, queenie, not cool at all. Honeycrisp apples are sacred and calling any other variety by their name is heresy!

That aside, I'm enjoying this series so far. I like the modern day parts much better. The fairy-tale scenes seem a little... bland and cheesy... to me at least. This week's wasn't as bad, but I don't hold out much hope for those parts. I'm hoping now that the origins of the curse have been explored, the fairy-tale scenes will take a back-seat...

13. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Yep. It was called The Charmings, and it an on ABC from March 1987 to February 1988.

14. MasterDartz

MasterDartz Animorph

Geez, excellent acting by the Queen is making feel sympathetic towards her. Give the woman a happy ending! :)

15. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

That's what I thought it was called. I remember it quite well.

Anyway, after watching the first episode again, the story seemed to flow better. The second episode flowed rather well too. I might just stick with this.

16. suss2it

suss2it New Member

Episode two was a step up from the pilot. But Henry is an annoying character, I wish he wasn't so central to the plot. Mr. Gold continues to be an awesome villain.

17. Palin Dromos

Palin Dromos The Abyss Stares Back

I gotta say I'm enjoying the series a lot.
    Here's hoping it stays both interesting and entertaining.
    Know-it-all-kid aside I'm enjoying all the other characters, in both incarnations.
    I like that it's embracing and acknowledging the cliches and fantasy elements in fun ways.

18. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Eh I've been enjoying revenge actually due to it getting more complex and throwing all these soapy, dramatic plot twists that aren't all just "I act like I know you're secret but it's really something else" or "I'm keeping the secret for some mysterious twisty reason" like in say Ringer. Besides it can only get so complex since sooner or later they're going to have to go back to the "present" from the first scene of episode one with who murdered Daniel but uh that's talking about another series that isn't this one.

Yeah for the mistress of all evil and quite possibly the most powerful Disney big bad next to Chernabog/the devil himself, I don't see her really being a lesser or weaker then the Evil Queen. Eh I guess they wanted to go with the Evil Queen as the main baddie due to probably her being more recognnizable to the average viewer then say Maloficient. ANd I guess you can slip in more apple refrences then pricked finger refrences.

Yeah sorry that's not happening. The creators admitted they envisoned this show being like Lost with fairy tale characters which means a lot of flashback sequences. and even if the curse has been revealed we're sure to have a lot more flashback sequences. For example this week we're having one where Snow White and Prince Charming meet, and then there's going to be one for Rumpelstilskin, as well as one I'm sure about why The Evil Queen hates Snow White so much.

So far the series has been okay. I do like the bits between Emma and the Evil Queen if only because it's escalted more from conversations to actual back and forth schemes, as well as how Emma convinced Henry she was on his side in the latest episode. I haven't been that annoyed at the flash backs of the fairy tale characters though I think the Evil Queen's story is more interesting then Snow White's which seems pretty by the books for a fairy tale. Though maybe the next episode will change that. We'll have to see I guess.

19. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

[​IMG][​IMG]

A new episode airs tonight at 8 PM Eastern.

Episode 1.03: "Snow Falls"

20. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men

Absolutely loving this show so far. I really like the twist on the Snow White character, turning her into a bandit who robs Prince Charming (aka James) and that is what sets off their relationship. I've never been big on the Snow White fairy tale (heck, she's evil in the fractured fairy tale I wrote) but this is a fun change.

And apparently John Gilbert left Mystic Falls to be a doctor in Storybrooke. Ha.

Excited to see some expansion of the world with Cinderella next week.