1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"OK Kira, let's blow this thing and go home"

Discussion in 'Toonami (Archived Forum)' started by Pepperidge, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

This past weekend I went to Anime Evolution and I got a chance to hang out with the voice of Mu Lu Flaga from Gundam SEED himself, Trevor Devall. He was a pretty cool guy, and dropped a few interesting notes about his performance. From the start, he had intended to give the character a real "Han Solo" style voice, but in the end decided to tone it down a little to make it less obvious. However, here's the interesting part: in every single episode of the Gundam SEED dub, he made sure to include one quote from Star Wars in his dialogue.

I also chatted with voice director Rob Bakewell. He mentioned that, while he's not involved with the project, he believes that Blue Water Studios is currently working on the dub for Gundam ZZ.

2. JohnCrichton

JohnCrichton An astronaut!

Whoa!

Guess we outta be looking out for his Star Wars quotes from now on. I mean, I do this to myself everyday when I hear dialogue and chuckle in my subconscious whenever I hear someone say "all most there...." or "I'm just tryin' to help".

I probably did this with ol' La Flaga and just didn't really register it, since I figured it was just a coincidence.

Mu La Flaga rules, and that's all there is to say about that.

Did he really say, "Okay Kira, let's blow this thing and go home"?

3. RedTail

RedTail Active Member

Interesting... Thanks for the heads-up!

4. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

ZZ already? Hmm... interesting.

I'll have to listen for Star Wars quotes as well. But in truth... I hope they aren't part of the uncut dub since they OBVIOUSLY were not in the original.

5. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

Well, the thing about Star Wars quotes is that a lot of them can be used in just about any context, so most of them probably WERE accurate interpretations of the lines. :)

Mind you, that was not a CONFIRMATION on ZZ, because he wasn't actually sure, but it makes sense. Zeta's been done for ages, after all.

6. Will Sturnick

Will Sturnick J-Pop Addict

Awesome. At least Bandai is keeping up their UC/AU trend. Let's hope that ZZ doesn't go through as many delays as Z. I'm excited, let's hope ZZ gets released by Fall '05.

7. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

I say one UC boxset a year sounds about right. Zeta this year, ZZ next year, and V the year after.

I'm guessing they'll also treat Turn A more like a UC series than an AU, but since it's "newer" I doubt it would get the boxset first treatment as well. But that one'll almost definitely be the very last of the current shows to get released.

8. Crazy Pineapple

Crazy Pineapple Active Member

Speaking of box sets, when is Bandai gonna release sets of 08th MS Team, 0079, 0083, and 0080? They're releasing a box set of all of the gundam movies this fall, plus Bandai is releasing a lot of box sets this fall, even for things that already had starter sets (s-CRY-ed).

9. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

As for ZZ- I'd say boxsets are an acceptable but an expensive way to go to finish off UC (anyone wanna buy a kidney?). Giving it to Blue Water is good because that gives us continuity, but without having heard how they did for the Zeta dub I can't help being a little bit worried.

10. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Active Member

ZZ aye? interesting...i wonder who'll do the voice of Judau?

11. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

0080 is only 2 discs, so there's not much point in releasing a boxset. 0083 and 08th MS Team could work. As for MSG, I'm personally only expecting to see it get the boxset treatment if Bandai ever get their hands on the Japanese audio. The extras on the DVDs pretty much say that they think only Gundam fans will buy the existing ones (all but one trailer for other Gundam titles).

12. shadowstrain

shadowstrain a new day

If Bandai wanted to, they could release all of these series in one box (10 DVDs)- an OAV collection

13. Keiichi

Keiichi Prof Lurker

hahaha I was thinking the same thing reading that.

14. NickWhiz1

NickWhiz1 Active Member

Someone should go through and compile a list of them. That would be interesting.

15. Will Sturnick

Will Sturnick J-Pop Addict

I hope they don't get the person that did Raven in Zoids, they could not act for anything.

16. Obi

Obi SEVEN. MONDAY.

Darn it, now I have to start paying attention to Gundam Seed more...

17. Mysteryinfoman

Mysteryinfoman Sada Pop

Star wars lines I also gotta pay more attention and ZZ, if they truly are then that's great news.

18. Sheamon

Sheamon Lost in the Undertow

Already? Well going by the time table we had for Zeta, I'd say don't expect ZZ til 2006 at the earliest. Assuming this latest Zeta release date works out, it will have been approximately 2 years, 3 months after the first rumors that it would have come out. Do not be surprised when Seed 2 delays ZZ for well over a year just like the original Seed did. I'd estimate 2006, maybe 2007 before we see it. And I wouldn't assume ZZ coming out as a boxset right away like Zeta, which in official terms has always been stated as an apology for the delays rather than having no faith in the series. Considering I haven't heard any of Zeta dubbed I'll hold off on saying whether I'm happy with dub continuity with it and Zeta. If the Zeta dub turns out bad we won't have much to look forward to with ZZ.

19. Kryptonian

Kryptonian Member

Great! We got to see some of the characters from the series, on the Gundam Battle Assault games, now we'll actually get to see the series soon.

Thanks for the good news Pepperidge. =]

20. RedTail

RedTail Active Member

There's two things you have to take into account. First, if Rob's right, it's going straight to Blue Water so no union-related delays. Second, they're not going to expect any TV deals with this one. The only delay we might see is from a possible conflict of release dates between SEED and ZZ.

I wouldn't be too certain. Bandai might go the same route w/ less marketable series like ZZ and V.

Yea, I wouldn't have cared if ZZ had switched studios. I believe the only main characters that reappear and have dialogue are Bright and Fa. I think Camille does have a line or two somewhere though...