1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

OK, folks promote your favorite Band

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by killercroc, Oct 15, 2001.

1. killercroc

killercroc Active Member

Or one that you think we don't listen to, but should. What I mean is that we should all name a defining song from a good band that we would like to share with each other. Then those of us who are inclined and able can get a copy of it and give it a listen.

I'm having a hard time narrowing mine down to one, but this could get out of hand if I don't so I'll pick "Three" by Massive Attack from the album Protection. Really just about anything by them is good, though.

Maybe we should give a description also. This is kindy trippy, jazzy and hip hoppish, from a British band. Kind of like Portishead.

I hope some of you check this song out and give a listen or two before forming an opinion. I also look forward to checking out your songs.

2. Nightflower

Nightflower Floral Mod Extraordinaire

NIGHTWISH!!

First of all, I know it's not for everyone, but that doesn't mean they're bad at what they do. They're an awesome band, their songs have a lively beat and their guitars are amazing. I guess the category they fall under is "power metal", like Dream Theater and Angra, but the vocalist is really talented (But once again, just not for everyone. It is really opera-esque). The lyrics are beautiful too, they can stand alone as poems.

Moondance is instrumental, and a kick-ass song, everyone should listen to it! And if you liked it, try "She is my Sin", that has vocals.

3. Failure

Failure Entertainment Mod

Massive Attack is cool, I've only really hear the songs on Mezzanine. The only song I've heard from Protection was the title track, which I really liked. I'll definitely check out Three, thanks Croc.

Nightwish is cool too. Actually I think I stumbled onto them when I was stumbling round your site Nightflower, so thanks! I kinda thought of them as Dream Theater with female vocals, but now that I think about it, I guess it is very opera-ish.

Now, my recommendations, hmm, there's so many good bands. Well considering my user name and all, I think I'll recommend the now-defunct band named Failure. Kind of an indie/space-rocky type of sound. Their biggest song was "Stuck on You" but I'll recommend "Another Space Song" or "The Nurse Who Loved Me" all from the album Fantastic Planet.

I'm also going to recommend a Tool song, even though they're pretty big and I'm cheating on this thread. :p "Disposition / Reflection / Triad" it's 3 different but connected songs, they were conceived as a 23 minute song and just split apart. If you're expecting standard hard rock affair, it's far from it. I cant think of the right words to describe it, my friend described it as entrancing and I think that describes it pretty well. Any song with Tabla is cool!

I better quit before I start rambling... even more than I have.

4. Shriek

Shriek Warriors.. Come Out To Play!

One Band. Van Halen. They are so damn cool. Look at them.

David Lee Roth (first lead singer) Has penis insured. Maternal insurance, so if he has a kid illigitametly he don't have to play jack. HE had 8 women in bed at once. And he led Van Halen to number 1 in 184 with a song called "Jump"

Eddie Van Halen - He is the best guitarist. Download the solo "Eruption" and you'll find out why.

Alex and Mike - They're just there.

Sammy Hagar (second lead singer) He is really cool also. I'm to lazy to type stuff.

Best songs to get.....

Van Halen with David Lee Roth - "Unchained"

Van Halen with Sammy Hagar - "Good Enough"

For you sappy guys and gals get these songs...

"Not Enough"
    "Right Now"
    "When It's Love"
    "Why Can't This Be Love"
    "I Can't Stop Lovin You"

Give this band a chance guys. If you don't like it. Ignore the words and listen to the guitar. And slowly place in each instrument until the lyrics hook.

5. Failure

Failure Entertainment Mod

maternal insurance? i didnt even know such a thing existed.

6. killercroc

killercroc Active Member

Man, I'm not a big Van Halen fan, but I have to admit that song that goes "I've been to the edge, stood and looked down..." was one of the greatest rock songs of all time. And their first album ruled!

Failure: I've been meaning to check out some Tool for a while, so I'm getting your song as we speak. I'm glad you like Massive Attack. I just got Mezzanine and it's taken a little while but it's really starting to grow on me.

Nightflower: I'm getting "She is my sin," and "Lothlorien Lord of the Rings" by Nightwish. I can't get access to Moondance.

I'll let you guys know when I listen to them.

7. Fish

Fish Danish Dynamite

I'm trying to DL all the songs you have recommended :)

My favorite band...hmm - I think it must be a folkrock band called "Serras"
    No use in searching for it on the net, cuz I think the only person in the whole world who has the songs on mp3 is me.
    It's old nordic folksongs fusioned with rock and it's really cool!

<>< F I S H ><>

*agh my fishies are gone again!

[edit] oh they loaded..finally!

[​IMG]<>< F I S H ><> [​IMG]

8. killercroc

killercroc Active Member

Well, what file sharing network are you a part of?

9. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pixies - A mixture of Spanish blood/male female close harmonies and rock music. They may be over, but they'll never be replaced!

Faith No More - Patton's crazy vocal style is responsible for the dire spawnage of Nu Metal. Pity they are not as quirky and pure in singing voice as this guy.

Fantomas - Patton again. If you like the quirky, try their Film Theme CD titled 'The Directors Cut'. Bizarre versions of Rosemary's Baby, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, The Godfather and The Omen. Great and refreshing!

Hats of to Moloko, Aimme Mann and of course as previously mentioned, Portishead!!

:D

10. Trent Lane

Trent Lane How can that be?!

Okay, I've got a few, you may have heard me speak of them before, so here goes:

Joydrop: Their latest album Vibrate is one of the best albums I've ever heard. There is not a song on the album I'll want to skip past, and that's pretty rare for any artists...

String Cheese Incident: If you like jam band stuff, this group is one of the best. Plus, they're almost always on tour. By the end of the year, I'll have seen them four times, each concert relatively close to where I live...

Cloudberry Jam: A band I found when searching for music similar to the Cardigans, another fave. They broke up a few years ago, but if you come across an album of theirs, get it. It's well worth it...

Komeda: Another group like the one above. Awesome pop from Sweden...

11. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

I'll say--

*Bob Dylan and The Band (which is a great name for a band...no bullpuckey, says what it is)

*Blues Traveller (though I haven't heard much of them since frontman John Popper skinned off darn near 200 lbs. He was on Howard Stern's show once, and scared the frig out of producer K.C. Armstrong by pulling one of the five knives he carries out)

*Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

*The Oak Ridge Boys (I always picture Froggo from Histeria wanting to be the deep-voiced singer when he grows up)

*The Steve Miller Band (Some people call me Maurice....:D )

12. Captain Caps

Captain Caps Active Member

I wish to recommend...

-Eric Clapton-Give the man some credit. He has made good material. Granted, his stuff of today may not be up to his hard-rocking past, but I say it's just the sobriety that changed him, and that he can still make a good tune.

-Talking Heads-David, the Chrises, and Tina, together known as the Talking Heads, were one of New Wave's best bands. They rocked when they wanted, boogied when they wanted, and never passed up an opportunity to get odd (The Big Suit and the Spastic Dance are testaments to that...see "Stop Making Sense" for further reference). They were the funkiest white people I know of. It's no wonder that Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz (husband and wife after all these years) formed...

-Tom Tom Club-Even if you've never heard of this group, you've heard their 1981 hit "Genius Of Love"...thanks to Mariah Carey, who seemingly samples it on every album she releases:D . Either way, they're a great dance band (especially the proto-rap of songs like "Wordy Rappinghood").

Sincerely,

John "Captain Caps" Kilduff

13. Shriek

Shriek Warriors.. Come Out To Play!

Killercroc. That song you're singing is called, "Aint Talkin About Love"

14. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

I have heard of many of these bands here, so I will mention one that I doubt many of you heard of...VIGILANTES OF LOVE!

Vigilantes of Love (or VOL as they are also billed on some CDs) is one of the best bands I have EVER heard. And you all know I got about 1300 CDs, so I mean that! They don't get much radio air play, at least not on any mainstream stations, and that is a shame. I cannot say enough good about them. Here is a review of their latest CD:

[​IMG]

Summershine
    Artist: Vigilantes of Love
    Label: Compass Records
    Length: 13 tracks/48:23
    Sometimes you hear a record that makes you lose your objectivity. As a critic, you think "I can't just rave about a record without finding
    something wrong with it!"

Summershine, the latest gem from Vigilantes of Love, made me work awfully hard to find anything negative. In fact, I would say this album insures that I will deliver my annual rant to anyone who will listen, along the lines of: "VoL is the best band in the country that no one has ever heard of. Why won't radio play these guys?"

"You Know That (Is Nothing New)" opens the album with a Dire Straits meets Gin Blossom style, and sounds like a hit single on any "adult alternative" or college station. "She Is Fading" details a chance meeting at a carnival or like event, and sums up the essence of what it's like to be young and looking for love in the summertime. "Fading" is the song R.E.M. should have recorded on their latest release.

"I Could Be Wrong (But I Don't Think I Am)" bears a strong resemblance to the Tom Petty song "Feel A Whole Lot Better", and details a man trying to understand where his relationship is headed:

What you keep telling me just keeps me guessing
    but those green eyes leave a different impression
    Sometimes your heart, well, it won't follow the plan
    I could be wrong, I could be wrong, I could be wrong
    But I don't think I am.
    Sometimes with words, you gotta look right through
    Sometimes the opposite is true.

"Stand Beside Me (You've Got To)" is a cross between Americana and British pop. It serves as a perfect example of Bill Mallonee's ability to convey an experience that we all have, yet make it poetic:
    Sleight of hand, angry words,
    and the arguments that don't get heard
    I'm so smitten and so attached
    With my paper dreams you strike the match.
    You should know my buttercup -
    It's easier to fall and harder to get up!

And it won't make it any less true
    When you deny what's inside of you
    I could show you a thing or two
    But you've got to stand beside me, stand beside me.

There are two songs here that have been rescued from possible obscurity. "Puttin' Out Fires (With Gasoline)" was a concert staple during the Audible Sigh tour, and thankfully, Mallonee saw fit to include it here. "It's Not Bothering Me" was included on the limited edition 2000 EP, Room Despair, and has some slightly reworked lyrics here.
    "Green Summer Lawn" contains some of the more profound lines:

There's a wind behind the stars
    There's a voice that says:
    'You are more than you think you are!'
    If you don't know the score you don't know when you lose,
    And my God this stuff you buy in place of the truth
    Won't stay strong
    Let your worries be gone
    Put your dancing shoes on
    For your green summer lawn.
    Bill has always described VoL's method as "Making It Up As We Go Along." Now he's written the song to go with that philosophy. It speaks of how we need to put forth our best appearance, even when we're unsure:
    Hit it with a swagger
    Underneath we're not that strong
    We are making it up as we go along.
    So what, you ask, stops me from giving this selection my highest rating? Is it bassist Jake Bradley or drummer Kevin Heuer? No - this is the best band Mallonee has assembled yet. My minor, petty, trivial complaint is in regards to the last song on the CD, "Sailors (The Reddest Rose)" - the lyrics are great but the tempo of the song, to me, seems incredibly slow.
    Summershine, if given a chance by radio and the corporate music world, will be the biggest surprise of 2001. Anyone who likes Squeeze, Tom Petty, Neil Young, XTC, the Byrds, the Athens, GA sound, or British pop will find something here. The best album I have listened to this year.

Brian A. Smith 8/14/2001

15. The Dork Knight

The Dork Knight The saddles do what now?

DAFT PUNK!!!!!!!!!!!

These guy are the best! With cool songs like One More Time and Digital Love, how can you not love them?

Puddle of Mudd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These guys work with Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst. Great songs.

THE RAMONES!!!!!!!!!!

Before blink -182-, before Sum*41, way before Green Day was.....
    THE RAMONES. Their music kicks butt. Best punk band ever!

Thank you for taking your time by reading my post.

- Peter Melnick

DAFT PUNK RULES!!!!!!!

16. Singin' Stray Cat

Singin' Stray Cat Still Alive Somewhere

I'm gonna stick out like a sore thumb here, but lately I've gotten hooked on the background music for video games. They've come a long way since the 8-bit Super Mario Bros soundtrack...

Recently I collected some songs from Sonic Adventure (1 and 2) - I don't know who composed them, but my favorites are White Jungle, Emerald Coast, Red Mountain, Tikal's Theme (I think that's what it's called), and the level 6 boss (on SA 2, I think). (I looked for that last one for weeks!!)

There's some pretty decent background music from the Need for Speed series, if you're into techno-sounding stuff. Most of my favorites here come from the latest in the series: NFS 4 - High Stakes and NFS 5 - Porsche Unleashed. Not sure how you can find them (I used a program called WinMX) but here's a quick list of my faves, song title first:

Cold Fusion Power - Morphadron
    The UK Sound - Morphadron
    Funky Phreakout - Morphadron
    Dude in the Moon (Luna Mix) - Dastrix
    Callista - Saki Kaskas
    Clutch - DJ Icey
    No Remorse - Junkie XL
    The Mobieus - Morphadron

That's all, from off the top of my head...

#16 Singin' Stray Cat, Oct 16, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2001
  17. Fish

Fish Danish Dynamite

Right now I'm on Morpheus...
    Nowadays my computer is on nonstop so you should have a chance of finding it

<>< F I S H ><>

*once again my fishies won't load!

18. killercroc

killercroc Active Member

Nightwish: I listened to She is My Sin. I go from loving it to thinking it sounds too manufactured. Parts of it sound like it's straight out of a synth machine, then parts of it really impress. I could definitely see that they have potential. I'll try another song. I

Failure: Listened to Disposition. I think I like it. I had no idea Tool sounded like that. I will definitely check out the rest of the song.

SJJ: Bossanova is a great album. The only FNM I've really listened to alot is that popular one with the video with the exploding fish. But that one rocks. It was pretty daring, but it came off really tight. Haven't hear of Patton's other band. Sounds freaky enough to be cool though. I'll probably check that one out. Yeah, Portishead is cool, huh?

foodlionhero311: I've heard the String Cheese Incident, I guess they're OK, just not my type of band. You said 'if you like jam bands'. I don't really. I will check out Joydrop though. DLing now!

Belch: I like The Band and Dylan, but I saw Dylan in Oklahoma City last year and he was truly awful. Still, he had some great songs in the day. Tangled Up in Blue is one of my favorite songs. Popper lost 200 pounds!?!? Are you kidding? That is Crazy! Doesn't seem like he'd be enough man to blow that harp, after that.

Captain Caps: I like Clapton fine, but it seem's like he's unoriginal. Still he's a heck of an axe man.

Shriek: Thanks. I couldn't remember the name. Now I can get it!

Got Lucky64- I like Daft Punk also. "One more time" is such a feel good song. I just love listening to it. It makes me wanna dance!

Stray Cat: Have no shame, I recently DLed "The Trial" from Chrono Trigger.

Fish: I don't have Morpheus, but I'll check it out. I like Audiogalaxy, but I haven't really checked any other ones out since fleeing there in the Napster fallout.

19. kiddiesunshine

kiddiesunshine Active Member

gotlucky64- you read my mind! i love daft punk! fave songs:
    ALBUM-HOMEWORK
    AROUND THE WORLD
    ALBUM-DISCOVERY
    ONE MORE TIME
    AERODYNAMIC
    DIGITAL LOVE
    HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER
    HIGH LIFE
    i like eminem also. i have so many favorites