1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh my! John K. bashing Animaniacs?? :O

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by MattieShoe, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taco Wiz

Taco Wiz The Loyal Order of Stupids

1970 was about the time that the idea of formulas came about [Scooby-Doo], people started talking down to children and using the "demographic" writing style, and, what John K. hates the most, focusing on writing over art that looks cool. And Dark Lord Aviator, he was probably just sick of everybody going:

DO U LIK BILLY AND MANDY
    DO U LIK INVADER ZIM
    D U LIK THE SIMPSONS

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. chdr

chdr Active Member

:shrug:

I see, so everything before 1970 was perfect in every way, and was completely original and absolutely not derivative at all.

Whatever you say, man.

3. Taco Wiz

Taco Wiz The Loyal Order of Stupids

Not perfect, but not horrible. And I'm just speaking for the way I see John's critique. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

You don't like his critique? How about you stop reading his blog?

4. chdr

chdr Active Member

That's like saying that even though there's a rapist in the room, he's not doing anything to you so don't look at the rapist.

He's still going to be a total jerk to everyone, so I don't see why he should be left alone on his ivory tower, complaining on how people are realizing that they don't need him or his ideals to be creative. I have absolutely no respect for him. He made, like, one season of Ren And Stimpy (that wouldn't have been worth jack had it not been for Nick's S&P department) and a crappy webtoon and he thinks that he is God or something. The worst part is how his fanbase parrots him exactly, as if John K. is their sole reason for living. His art isn't even that good. I could name at least 10 artists that run miles around his chicken-scratches that he calls cartooning.

Oh, and I never liked Ren And Stimpy, not even the first season. The only redeemable aspect was the voicework.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

That's a terrible analogy.

6. chdr

chdr Active Member

A bit too serious but I think it gets my point across.

7. PositronShooter

Try telling that to the Ren & Stimpy fans who may not entirely agree with the creator's philosophies of animation. Those who know that there's more to modern animation than words from a guy who spent most of his career splitting hairs in television animation.

If people want REAL animation critiques, perhaps from those who have actually worked on animated features and theatrical shorts, go to Glen Keane, Andres Deja, Eric Goldberg, Mark Henn, or Chris Sanders among others for advice. Or why not those who actually experienced the Golden years, like Floyd Norman or Burny Mattison?

If you want to read musings from a wannabe master, or just want to watch a bunch of fanboys maul themselves with their clueless logic, stick with John K.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Haven't you seen The Jetsons? lol.

I sort of agree. I liked the show back then and continue to enjoy it. That being said...there was a time when I tricked myself into giving the show more credit than it deserved. Truth of the matter is that as I actually thought about it I realized that I wouldn't rank the show so high. As far as `90s cartoons is concerned shows like Batman: The Animated Series, Animaniacs, and Doug to name a few were a 100x better. And as far as "quirky" cartoons are concerned I'd take Beetlejuice and Rocko over it.

9. Ghostbuster Man

Ghostbuster Man "Batman's my Cousin"

Could someone explain to me WHERE does bash on about Animaniacs in this blog?

10. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Not really. You can't ignore something in YOUR room, but it's perfectly possible to ignore someone who's in his own room and not bothering anyone outside it.

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

John K. gives a lot of great advice on character design.
    And that's actually he's good for.

12. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that's enough. This thread has more than run its course. It's really gone all over the place now. To each their own: John K's entitled to his opinions, and everyone else is entitled their own as well. I think this topic is covered enough where we don't need to revisit in the future. Let's move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.