1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh my! John K. bashing Animaniacs?? :O

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by MattieShoe, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

Yeah, but it was John K. who helped him really think about the idea and how to approach it.

2. Mickialla

Mickialla Suave Incarnate

If that was true, then a lot of John K's insight would be heavily hypocritical. He has criticized both Butch Hartman and Seth MacFarlane, both of whom had shorts that John K supposedly helped to bring onto the big screen.

3. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

It's not hypocritical. He says that there wasn't any particular quality control on the project.

Also, in awesomer news, TOM REUGGER posted on my Livejournal!

http://hoyvinglavin64.livejournal.com/103833.html

Wow...

4. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's interesting, but since when did Tom Ruegger read Toon Zone messages? Did Keeper send him this or something?

5. Mickialla

Wow, that's kinda random. You should've asked him WHERE ON EARTH HE'S BEEN. He should go back to WB. His shows in the 90's were awesome. Now WB is pretty much dying, they have like one show in production per year. And comedy's aren't even being produced anymore, and the one's that were a few years back stank. I mean, Coconut Fred?? Mucha Lucha?? Are these shows really from the same people who mad Pinky and the Brain or Freakazoid? Only the DC superhero shows are any good now.

6. chdr

chdr Active Member

In one of John K.'s recent posts, not only does he not like modern-day cartoons for not being like Ren And Stimpy, but HE ALSO DOESN'T LIKE MODERN-DAY CLOTHING for not being like Ren And Stimpy either and went on a tirade on how things were better in the old days, back when people dressed like Elvis and stereotypical traditional Europeans.

I think he has finally lost it.

7. Hiya Animation

Hiya Animation Animation lover!!!

It's kinda funny how John is always complaining about the "state of modern animation", especially features... okay... that's all well and good but if you think you can do better then Pixar why don't you get off your butt and just MAKE a feature! Prove to us that you can do better then Disney or just shut up!
    I don't know about you guys here but I'm sick of George Liquor and Ren and Stimpy. The guy needs to do something new. He's not getting any younger.

Okay, so he complain that he doesn't have the budget but HELLO... features can be done, especially today with access to reasonably priced software like Toon Boom or even Flash, for ultra low budgets!

Just look at Bill Pympton... the guy is an independant animator and has done MUCH more then John K has ever done... he's done what... 8 features? And numerous short films to boot. And it's all HAND-DRAWN as well! No Flash! And the artwork and animation, even though it's limited, is pleasant to look at!

A feature doesn't have to have Disney style budgets and animation for it to look good. Plymton's style of animation is pretty much the anti-Disney in terms of art-direction and animation style but it's still great! And his films are all very critically acclaimed even if they are not widely released.

Heck, Ralph Bakshi is realeasing a film that was traditionally animated done for less then $100,000.

I say John should follow Ralph Bakshi's advice that he gave to young animators recently... (paraphrased) "Stop complaining, get off your butt, and DO something!".

8. Mickialla

.............AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

Is this dude serious??

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Eh... I've seen worse posts. He does have a point that it's more fun to create characters with exaggerated visual and/or cultural traits than to draw some boring guy in a business suit with no personality at all.

10. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Is it possible that some of what John says in his blog (like the clothing post) is supposed to be inherently humorous or tongue-in-cheek? Is it possible that the man is just trying to be funny and that people aren't seeing it?

11. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

While some of his posts are supposed to be humorous, I think a lot of the stuff is completely serious.

12. Mickialla

Yea, and some of his humor is kinda pointless. Like his post a few days ago making fun of Smokey the Bear for no apparent reason. :shrug: Doesn't this guy have a job?? Like, a paying job?? Doesn't he have anything better to do than to write blog posts infuriating cartoon dorks like me??

13. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Honestly, it's his blog and he can do what he wants. If you don't like what you see you don't have to visit it. I'm not a huge fan of his opinion of modern animation but some of the stuff on his blog is indeed for spits and giggles.

I'm sure John K has lots of better things to do than post on his own blog. But what he does in his spare time is really his own business and if he wants to post his own ideas and opinions on his web blog he has every right, whether or not we agree with him.

14. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

I guess I don't see this stuff as extremely as you do, Annie.

Things aren't the way they were back in the late 90s on Alt.animation.Warner-Bros. I feel like I can have a discussion about the show now without loosing ALL of my dignity.

Just hearing him compliment the animation in an episode was a major revelation.

You'd think by his review in the early-90s that he though every episode was painted like Tiny Toons and had Akom animation.

him, John K, actually SAT THROUGH a mediocrely-written Animaniacs cartoon and complimented the Animation and Layouts.

That's what I was trying to do; not convince John K that it's something spectacular that he's an idiot for hating (he's certainly not an idiot for hating it) but just that it's slightly above the likes of Bonkers or Ducktales, at least in terms of Animation quality.

I'm sorry I embarrassed you, Annie. to be fair, I didn't bring up the subject this time.

I'm way beyond that.

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Actually I'd say that Bonkers was above Animaniacs in animation quality, at least when Walt Disney Australia was doing the work.

16. Annie-Mae

Annie-Mae Crazy Person

Part of that problem is while pitching George Liquor o networks, they're telling him that that style is too old and nobody will be interested in watching it. For a man who's got such high praise and strong opinions, studios are to afraid to cut him a break. 1) because of the bad stuff they've heard about how he works 2) they want more things done faster and cheeper and 3) they want what he's doing to be edgy. One of is posts was about changing Georges appearance to look like something from Family Guy, which was a watered down flat scarier looking George. The media for adult toons has actually gotten into the mode of looking for cartoons that are cheep and bland. So you can tell him to get out and do something else but when he tried it got cancled and he keeps getting shut down by the people who'd give him the funding.

Mattie, it's not really about getting him to see that A! was better then any other show, it's about you likeing A! at all. Because you like A! he doesn't really have to listen to your opinions. I can give you credit for coming in defence of the show but it's really not worth it, because his cronnies will pretend like they hate it. If he's got a full on post bad mouthing A! then it's a good chance to go in and defend your fandom 100% but this wasn't the time or the place. Learn to pick your battles.

17. chdr

chdr Active Member

Most companies stopped taking John K.'s work because

1. Pretty much everything after his stint on Ren And Stimpy was awful trash that never became successful

and

2. He is notorious for skipping deadlines and going overbudget a.k.a. everything you are NOT supposed to do at a studio

The studios won't take him because they know that John K. is a one-trick pony, and a total jerk at that.

18. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

That was a joke drawing from one of his friends. He's never actually been told that (though it's not too far-fetched as something a dumb exec would say).

19. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

Well, that's true with folks like PCUnfunny and Mike Fontanelli, But even after praising Animaniacs, John K has said that he agrees with some of my points (Those not regarding Animaniacs anyway)

20. Annie-Mae

Annie-Mae Crazy Person

Dude totally aware of all that and when it comes down to cartooning, most studios like it if you're a nice person to work with. Which is how Seth McFarlin has gotten where he is by being a really nice guy (I've heard it personally from friends and his mother). But I did say the point that "studios are to afraid to cut him a break. 1) because of the bad stuff they've heard about how he works." I thought that line covered the missing deadlines and overbudget stuff.

I just thought of something interesting about that deadline though. I don't know the full extent of details that went into make the Weird Al vid but that seemed finished on time. And he's made progress with some of the new stuff. SO I wonder if the problems delt while working on RSASP was because of the studio giving him problems, asking for too many edits and budgets cuts.

Problems on BooBoo Goes Wild and Ripping Friends was his fault because he kept telling the asian animation studios to go back and re-animate scenes that didn't copy his weird lineart to an exact 't'. But once again he had to agree with studio standards and politics to get this stuff done, and even the nicest of cartoonist would get pissed off at some of the BS they give you. You could agree with everything the studio tells you to do but then you get blandness and conformity. Even TTA and A! broke the rules of network standards and there were deadlines and budgets broken, but when it comes down to it they didn't raise hissy fits over the lineart looking boaring for one ep when deadline is in two days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.