1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh my! John K. bashing Animaniacs?? :O

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by MattieShoe, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

#1 MattieShoe, Sep 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  2. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

Haha, taking on John within his own blog, that's kind of a battle you won't win, he's dead set in his ways, that one is.

Like I mentioned before, Looney Tunes took potshots at pop culture, had songs, and broke the fourth wall(actually shattered it and danced on it), which is what inspired Animaniacs to do the same, so I never got why people that were so into Looney Tunes thought A! was such an abomination.

3. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

The main thing he doesn't get is that the Writers on Animaniacs weren't the ""Bob Mckimson characters" he pointed out on his blog.

really, what was "Trendy" about Animaniacs?

It had some pop culture references, but those were typically separate from the plot and throwaways

and I don't see how Jerry Lewis was "trendy" back in the 90s, so Paul Rugg isn't guilty of that crime.

Like I said to him (Whether he'll post that comment is anyone's guess)

The writers on Animaniacs were REAL writers, who brought their experiences with them and put them in the cartoon.

"Survey Ladies", anyone?

4. chdr

chdr Active Member

Meh, John K. is a complete joke. I could write a college-level essay as to why I hate him so much.

5. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

I don't hate John K.

I admire his work and find his blog hilarious. (His comparison of animation writers to Bob Mckimson characters had me laughing out loud.

I just think he has a vaunted and wrong idea of what Animaniacs is.

He thinks all the writers are Tom Rueggers.

(or at least what he THINKS Tom Ruegger is)

#5 MattieShoe, Sep 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  6. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

While I liked the original Ren & Stimpy, I can't really say that I respect John K. He just doesn't seem that nice in interviews. So yeah, I don't really understand how he could hate Animaniacs.

7. chdr

chdr Active Member

John K. is such an arrogant jerk and apparently hates anything that isn't made by him or Bob Clampett. He promotes "creativity" yet tells everybody that whatever isn't in his style is wrong. He thinks just because he created Ren and Stimpy he is the all-knowing god of cartoons. (Did I mention he doesn't consider anything not made by him or Clampett cartoons?)

8. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

"" " Also, as Un-cartoony as you may think the writing is, Animaniacs didn't try to be "Trendy"

Ideas like Slappy Squirrel getting into a war over putting a soda can in her neighbor's Trash can come strait from life experiences.

or Two little old ladys following Yakko Wakko and dot to the ends of the earth saying "Would ya like ta take a survey?"

Wakko's "Potty Emergency" cartoon wasn't something I'd ever seen at the time, But I've seen the ideas presented in it duplicated many times.

things like this rise the show above "A pup named scooby doo"

It actually had REAL WRITERS. who write about their life experiences.
    5:51 PM "

Every single sentence in that comment defies all reason. You grew up with it and like it, that's all. It's not a crime.

I like Rocket Robin Hood in a weird way, but I can't defend it in any way.""

Nah. there's more to it then that.

9. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Is this what John said? To be honest, his response seems reasonable. I think people take what John K says a little too seriously, as if his comments are somehow affecting their enjoyment of something. He has a strong opinion but at the end of his day that's all it is. An opinion.

And I don't see why people get so upset when the only thng the man has done of real quality - and on his own - was a season and a half of one cartoon show that was taken away from him because he refused to play by the rules.

10. Jayngfet

Jayngfet RAWR!

Blasphamey! Burn the heretic!

11. DarthGonzo

Can this sort of drama stop? Please?

12. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

Well not totally. There's a handful of modern cartoons he's liked, such as Beavis and Butthead, Cow and Chicken, and PPG(for its art style) to name a few.

But yeah, Animaniacs seems to be as worse as the f-bomb or a racial slur to John K. Mention it to him and it really sets him off.

13. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

Wow. Mike Fontanelli really is a...well, I don't want another infraction.

No. not because he doesn't like Animaniacs, but simply because he's just such an unpleasant bitter jerk.

"Does Mattieshoe prefer Beatlemania (registered TM copyright 1977, pat. pend., all rights reserved) to The Beatles, too?

Let's hear it for derivative, soulless corporate product - Hooray!!

I speak from (horrible) experience when I tell you that I personally witnessed the Tiny Toons and Animaniacs writers write THEMSELVES into the cartoons! (The artists were supposed to supply them with flattering caricatures. However, they KNEW better than to ask me!)

They also wrote sycophantic, reverential references to Spielberg and Martin Scorcese, (Tarrantino wasn't as well known in those days, I guess) in a desperate and pathetic effort at jockeying for future live action gigs (after they were finished "slumming" in animation, that is.)
    I can name the guilty parties (Tom Minton was definitely NOT one of them) if anyone is interested.

All this on top of the fact that the finished Animaniacs product (you can hardly call it a cartoon) is unwatchable by thinking adults - or even advanced children, for that matter.

I'm sorry, but reality hurts sometimes. The truth will set you free, son..."

14. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

God Dang.

Not only is Animaniacs just Not good, it's THE WORST THING EVER MADE.

Seriousley, Not even John K can say that.

One wonders if mike has anything PERSONAL against Animaniacs...

#14 MattieShoe, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Helpful word of advice: Never read the comments section.

16. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Look at the part I underlined. He didn't specify why he thought that the sentences defy all reason. What's suppose to separate the mature and immature folks online is that mature folks give a reason why the person they debate with are wrong. You don't just say "You're wrong", you say "You're wrong, because". Infact to dodge an arguement to my understanding is internet talk for "You make a valid point and might be right, but my pride couldn't take admitting that I'm wrong, so I'll brush off what valid statements you may have made".

17. DarthGonzo

Still, why not just take the man with a grain of salt. How is one person's opinion going to change your enjoyment of Animaniacs? It's his blog. Let him say what he wants. Just ignore it.

I was just like you until very recently Mattieshoe, but it's pointless to get uptight about it.

18. Roman Legion

Roman Legion Let's Make a Deal
    Staff Member Administrator

I think that's the other half of why John K. gets on people's nerves. It's not just his own behavior; it's the little raging army that seems to blindly follow him. The whole bunch is best avoided entirely.

--Romey

19. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

Interesting what John K. had to say about "Meet Minerva":

Oh, and he admits Johnny Danger was funny.

And here's what I added:

20. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

Found this on a message board.

"I used to think Harlan Ellison was a pretty scary guy. But then, one day, the strangest thing happened. My wife and I were at a Wizard World Chicago where Ellison was a guest. We went to a panel room early for a Jeff Smith panel to ensure we got decent seats. There were only a handful of people milling about the room in small groups when we got there. Suddenly, Ellison broke off from one of the groups, jumped over to us, and pointed at my wife's Animaniacs T-shirt. Then he just started singing the Pinky & the Brain theme song."

Haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.