1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Official "Batman Begins" Movie News Thread, Part 4 (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Re; the suit, I agree with Batkid that the head dress does look a far better fit and I doubt it will either wobble or weigh down even as much as Clooney's more lightweigh mold did. Lucky Bale. :)

I've given up on the cape, I agree with Tim but eventually you just got to accept it and pray the reel will do more justice to it than the camera has.

The one niggle that I really don't like that's evident on that pic is how the mask sort of sits on top of the cape. It sort of makes the seamlessness of the rest of the costume jar. Again, not a big issue, but it just looks... odd. I think a cape of similar material would have been more suitable for the all matt look they have here. The matt black against the cape I'm sure is what makes the cape look so awkward.. it makes it very visable. Maybe on film where the contrasts are more likely to be balanced to suit the ambience it will look a lot more sexy and fitting.

Edit by Bird Boy: We're in part four!

http://www.batmanbegins.com/ - Revamped site, all three trailers, posters and pictures.

2. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

I've read the script...but even if you overlook that, this costume was chosen because Nolan is trying to make Batman more gritty and realistic. Based on what I've seen, a full-out Scarecrow costume, while cool, would look out of place in this movie; if Tim Burton (or even Joel Schumacher) were directing, I could see this, but here, everything is rooted in reality. Hence, a Scarecrow costume that still includes that vital mask, the rest of which being a regular suit - but hopefully distinct enough to set it apart from other suits.

As for the cape - I want to like it, but from here, it looks like the type of material that if you held up a flashlight to it, the light would shine right through. I'm sure it's not that cheap, but it just LOOKS that way at the moment. I really liked the latex capes used in the movies thus far, as it matched the rest of the costume quite nicely. Here it sort of clashes.

Oh well, we'll see soon enough when some better footage is released.

-Tim
    (11,000 posts!)

3. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

I wasn't too thrilled with the cape's texture. But if you look awhile back at the massive BOF set report on the suit, they actually had a reason for not going with the previous films' latex cape. And that reason being that it reflects too much light when shined on. You can see this even in B89 at the belltower. A lil' bit of light, and bam...he's like a walking 'glow n da dark'.

And of course, with Nolan's film being grounded in reality (I honestly think he's looked over every single aspect regarding this), Batman would never consider that as part of his costume.

4. Phantasm

Phantasm Bittersweet Symphony.

hhmmm...I don't see this problem with the cape except that it looks real long.Long is Good.:) I hope they include instances in the film where the cape will envelop him. That would be SO dramatic!

5. langden alger

langden alger Active Member

i guess since batman is still in piece-together prototype stage with his costume in this film, we'll maybe see him get a new mask color that blends seamlessly with his cape in the sequel...especially since for all his darkness, batman has the most fashion awareness/never caught dead in the same costume twice attitude of all movie superheroes;)

6. wrenchien

wrenchien Active Member

you sure it isn't batcat?

7. Damien

Damien Watching

That's...the Scarecrow. Geez. He better kick butt to Dixieland and back in this movie. I understand the concept, but still...I was hoping to see something close to TNBA or Hush versions. Ah well.
    I also like that last pic. of Batman posted by BatKid. I mean, it actually says "This is Batman."
    I'll probably have to work Superbowl Sunday (it's my last day there), so hopefully the new trailer won't be until the fourth quarter sometime.

8. TimTwoFace

I'm sure that someone in the world will copy that Superbowl ad and post it on the net, just in case some of us miss it. I wouldn't worry about it.

-Tim

9. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

That is a dramatic look. The cape design used in this & all the big-budget feature films, of course, doesn't lend itself to Batman being fully "enveloped" in the cape (like he is in many of the comic panels, where his costume is completely hidden by the cape), simply because the film capes all connect on the shoulders & don't come all the way around the neck to meet in front, leaving a gap. But based on the publicity photos that have come out so far, I'd say they'll be using plenty of shots that still achieve that general look anyway.

10. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

Well, it looks like we have a "official" look at Scarecrow (sans fear effect victims see him as). One of the insiders at BOF confirmed that this is what he will look in the film:

[​IMG]

11. matta2fatta

matta2fatta cuz i eat 2 much pancake batta

that ish is creepy as hell i like it

12. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

I like it a lot. Far more than the traditional comic version. The uneven eye slits really give it a eerie edge. I look forward to seeing how that looks rendered in a photo shoot.

13. Phantasm

It looks dramatic and menacing enough in this rendition form but I'm hoping it doesn't look like a man wearing a tattered dishrag in the film.:shrug:

14. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

The Scarecrow's look is one that's probably a lot easier to make dramatic in animation than it is in live action. But this pic looks pretty promising to me.

Thanks for keeping us so up-to-date, BatKid! :)

15. Damien

Damien Watching

I like the rendition, but the walkie-talkie looked kinda bland. I'm sure he'll look cool in the movie. He better. He better be so cool. I've been looking forward to seeing a live-action Scarecrow for years.

16. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

Glad to see most like it. Ironically, I myself don't like it that much. :sweat:

I agree that this does look creepy..but in a deformed kind of way. I was expecting it to be creepy in a "holy crap! that guy's evil!" type of thing. :yawn:

17. Phantasm

hhmm...I was wondering, why did't they stick with the popular traditional Batman villans like Joker or Catwoman for this film? I mean Scarecrow is a pretty low-key Batman villan...

18. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

They wanted to introduce villains that weren't brought before in the previous franchise. Rest assured though that the important villains (Joker and Two-Face at least) WILL show up in this new franchise.

19. TimTwoFace

Exactly. They wanted this movie to be totally free of those earlier movies, so they went with two of the most interesting villains that were as yet unused in live-action.

Besides, look at the movies we've had so far; as far as the general public is concerned, before Tim Burton started up the last franchise in '89, Batman only had four major foes (Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler). Now that other villains have been used in the movies (and thanks to a lot of influence from the animated series), they are all generally household names; people may not know much about them, but if you mention "Two-Face" or "Mr. Freeze", the general public would still associate them with foes of Batman.

Therefore, I believe that the simple fact that the Scarecrow is in this movie as a major supporting role (just as Ra's al Ghul, Henri Ducard, The Roman, Mr. Zsasz, etc, are) they'll be well-known now because they're getting the most public exposure of their fictional careers.

Besides, both Ra's al Ghul and the Scarecrow were still pretty major villains in Batman's rogues gallery (both in the comics and in the animated series), and are both definitely considered part of the A-list.

I'm actually very happy that the Joker, in particular, has nothing to do with this film. Even though he's generally regarded as Batman's #1 foe, I despise the fact that he's seen as the only one that can ever be used in anything, like special stories, events, crossovers, movies, TV episodes, etc; I like seeing the wealth being spread around, and two very different and unique villains take centre stage here.

Besides, as Batkid said, the Joker and Two-Face have been confirmed to definitely be planned for being in this revamped movie series - and of all the returning villains to the series, I think these two offer the most interesting foils. (Which one will actually feature prominently in the sequel, however, is up to anyone's guess.)

Catwoman is definitely what I'd consider a no-brainer for this series, too. Funny how we haven't heard much about her. That movie with Halle Berry was a horrible flop, but I don't think it ruined Catwoman's name at all, because people knew that wasn't the real Catwoman from the comics - it was just a pale copy. She'll turn up again, I'm sure.

As for the others - I honestly doubt we'll see Poison Ivy and Bane again any time soon. And Mr. Freeze - really, there's not much more we can do with his character. The basic story would be nearly identical, it would just be given to a better actor to deal with.

Penguin and Riddler are always possibilities...but I'd like to see some more of the lesser, unused villains appear as well, such as the Mad Hatter, Ventriloquist, Clayface, Talia, and way, way down the line, a Harley Quinn that doesn't get on your nerves.

Here's hoping.

Meantime, June 17th awaits!

-Tim

20. Damien

Damien Watching

I'm sorry, Tim, but you threw in Zsasz in as having a major supporting role. Is this to say it won't just be a cell block appearance? If so, nice. Having Zsasz would be a great added bonus.
    As far as future villains, I never like Harley Quinn...I don't care for Clayface...Ventriloquist would be cool, but not as the main villain...and FireFly would make a great opener.
    Can't wait until we see the Joker. Or Two-Face, for that matter. Catwoman, the real Catwoman, will be especially cool, hopefully triumphantly taking back the mantle (metaphorically speaking).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.