1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Official "Batman Begins" Movie News Thread, Part 3 (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Marvel_Knight, Jul 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvel_Knight

Marvel_Knight Ahh, dammit

Is this debate over now? SJJ has her perception and DD_2K3 has his (I got those right, right?). So now let us talk about how Begins will/won't be true to the comics, will/won't be better than Burton's, it will/won't be the best comic book film, the suit/trailer does/doesn't please us, speculate what we'll get in the full trailer, sequels, the story, actor's performance, how the public will recieve BB, what Six Flags will do to celebrate BB, the toyline, video game, fastfood tie-in, soundtrack, nitpick, and other topics I should not post to make this longer/forgot.

I'll get the ball rollin', what are you looking forward to seeing in the next trailer?

If the debate's not done, please continue.

Edit by Bird Boy: We're in part three! Here's what's happened:

http://www.batmanbegins.com/ - Trailer Released, plus many pictures!
    A New Shot of the Suit

2. Daredevil_2003

Daredevil_2003 The Man Without Fear

Umm...haven't we kind of been doing that all along? :confused: lol

EDIT: SJJ is a female? Hmm...I was under the impression she was a he, no offense if you are a girl, SJJ. I just always assumed you to be a guy.

EDIT 2: Ok, I just checked his profile and he's a definitely a guy, unless she likes putting pictures of young men in her profile. :p Well, I'm off to bed now, cya later, gents.

3. Marvel_Knight

Oops.:eek: I was under the impression taht SJJ was a girl when I read some posts about Bird Boy. Sorry SJJ.:eek:

4. BeastBoyWonder

BeastBoyWonder Teen Titans Go!

SJJ's not a girl? :confused:

Anyway, I watched the teaser a couple more times, and yeah, its pretty boring.

5. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nope, like Inque before me, I masquerade under a female avatar but am actually a girl in a guys body... according to Sparks.com whose test guaranteed it could guess me gender but ended up predicting with 86% certainty I was a girl. Well, I was impressed. I wish the had put money on it. Funny how our avatars throw people off... even though we don't actually hide our gender in our profiles (anyone who reads DKA will also know that I'm certainly an odd girl if I go by the name James..).

Is the debate over? Who knows. I imagine it will just evolve as the trailers continue.

Again it's not my personal view of Batman I'm grumbling about. It's that I think armour Batman is such a small facet of the Batman mythos but that's to the old films it's now accepted as one the only version a film can pull off. My point is that the more mainstream Batman identity has been ignored as a possibility by both fans and movie alike. I'm just so few support that concept and are happy to except a re-tread of the old Batman visuals when more mainstream facets of the Batman persona could have been explored.

Certainly I think this film is doing just that with the Bruce Wayne persona - this seems to be a far more mainstream form of Wayne which is akin to the comics. While the old movies presented an aspect of the character, they didn't capture the heart of what the comic is about. This looks closer to the marker. I suppose I hoped for the same to be done with the Batman character.

I'm so chuffed I've managed not only to suffocate the thread with my points but also turn it into a thread about me rather than Batman.. can one ask for anything better than that? :p Back to you guys.

6. Jaguar

Jaguar Cogito ergo doleum

Maybe...you ARE Batman! :p

The pictures on the site were...disappointing. The trailer was different (not a bad different, but not the best different), the suit is different, and the movie, all and all, will be...different. I had never seen anything of Nolan's but just from the little bit I could gather from the trailer, it seems like his whole "ground-in-realism" feel is going to work. I thought Bale's voice worked pretty good as well.

7. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Sigh.

We interrupt this thread to bring you this special news bulletin...

SJJ, they think you're a girl. >snickers< Oh, that's great. Wait 'til the others hear about this. :D

>ahem< We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

8. Salvor

Salvor You can't take a picture of it

haha of course SJJ is a girl... named Jamesie... you should see her naked, she's got that gorgeous hairy texture to her skin :D

ANYWAY to get back on-topic, I love the teaser. Nice creshendo, terrific creepy music, some interesting shots... it served its purpose, ie tease me! And looking at those pictures and that last shot of Batman, I can't help noticing how similar Bale's Batman looks to Tim Sale's Batman... can't wait to see this movie!

9. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I think you're right. With four movies featuring armor, I've gotten accustomed to thinking about Batman on film that way. on an unconscious level, I think I just accepted it. With all the pages of discussion on this, I've been forced to think about it and I agree. It's not quite the Batman of the comics, the Batman we've been following in the comics all these years.

Like you, I'm used to Bruce being able to shrug off what he's wearing with the costume underneath, ready to jump into action. One of my favorite moments from the comics was from Knightfall, when Bane confronted Bruce at the mansion. After they exchanged words, Bruce threw off his robe, reached back and pulled on the cowl. In a moment, he was ready for action. He couldn't really do that with the "Begins" costume, could he? He'd have to ask Bane to wait a moment while he suited up.

I don't mind the suit offering protection, but I would want it to be slim enough that Bruce could wear it under anything else. Maybe that could still be pulled off, though I don't know where he'd put the cowl. It seems like its rigid.

As for the question of laziness, I'm still not sure. I know you've waved aside the realism aspect, but I think for many it applies, including Nolan. Someone posted a link to an interview with Goyer. Here's something he said:

So it seems realism is something that Nolan and Goyer are going for. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that for many, Batman is appealing because he is more realistic than other heroes. Any one of us could be Batman, however unlikely, because no powers are involved. Also, with comics or animated shows, we're willing to accept certain things. But when we see something live-action, we start asking questions we wouldn't have otherwise. With Spiderman, or another super-powered hero, its not a big issue because his powers are all the explanation we need. For Batman, there are no powers to justify some things. For instance, I don't think I could really accept Batman dodging bullets. To me, some kind of protection makes sense. I'm not saying this as justification for what they're doing. I still want a streamlined suit that he could wear under other clothes. And I want a cowl similar to the feel of Spidey's from the movie that Bruce could pull on and off with ease. But I don't see why there can't be protection as well. Realism can play a role. I don't mean in general, but specifically here with Batman given his lack of powers.

So maybe its WB and their fear of doing something different. But I think it is Nolan and that this is what he wants. Not necessarily a bad thing. I'm mixed on the suit, but I think it'll work. I liked the teaser and the different direction is seems to imply.

Oh, and I almost forgot about the website. I agree its disappointing. I highly doubt that the intent was to produce a gritty, sparse, austere site. Like SJJ said, the design (if one could call it that) does not appear professional.

10. Damien

Damien Watching

To answer Marvel Knight's question, I look forward to seeing clear shots of the villains...or Batman, for that matter. I assumed the hooded figure in the teaser was Ra's al Ghul, but it could've been Ducard. Also, I've heard both sides of the Scarecrow story, and I'm anxious to know whether or not Crane gets into costume. And don't come to me trying to answer that by saying "I've read the script!" because I don't take any script seriously until I've seen the movie.

11. Robin

Robin Guest

I like what I see here in both links. The trailer takes abit of an unexpected turn, deciding not to cash in on some flash Batman-in-costume superheroics. A bold choice I think. The costume looks great I think. Not what I was expecting but it looks just fine.

12. Shaggy&Daphne

Shaggy&Daphne It's show time!

I hope Christian Bale trips and falls on that overly large cape of his enough times during filming that he will become to sour and banged up to continue working on the movie, and then they will half to hold off on production and it will stall.:evil: That would be so groovy!:)

13. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Interesting quote. It does make me a little more sympathetic, but at the same time I disagree with the perspective from a point of source issue. Yes, I appreciate their viewpoint, however it's absolutely no different to Burton's. I wish they had tried something new. If this had been the first time this angle had been approached rest assured I would have been far less vocal.

For me, Bruce does use his money, but not to make sure he's "protected". He uses it for mobility, decective and analytical devices, medical... I always felt that with Bruce there was something very pure. He uses equipment, but doesn't rely on it for the physical nature of his plight. Maybe it's the eastern training, but on the whole, IMO he really only uses equipment to achieve what the body cannot. Possibly why I feel this goes a little against ethos. Again, I will stress I'm not saying their opinion is wrong, but considering it's already been done, I would have thought they may have tried another - and there are other ways which would have been closer to the comic character.

Incidentally, it reminds me of the Batman Beyond arguments we used to have DA. With the issue of whether Terry was Batman on the basis that Batman doesn't need armour, rocket boots and technology. His skills are mental and physical while Terry's are "supported by the suit" (as some argued). Interesting that's never really been argued on the film front for this or the older films.

LOL. It's nice to see you say that, I was beginning to think I was going insane...

- Jamielina the cross dressing woman.

14. Daredevil_2003

Daredevil_2003 The Man Without Fear

LOL! [​IMG]

15. EJill34

EJill34 Member

I hope you get off your Michael Keaton obsession and realize that Michael Keaton never was and will never be the best Batman. Compare Michael Keaton to any Batman from the comics or the most recent animated incarnations. I don't see a resemblance. Christian Bale looks much more like Bruce Wayne than Michael Keaton does. You can't argue with that. Michael Keaton didn't even play Bruce Wayne correctly (that's also the script's fault). In Batman and Batman Returns, Bruce Wayne was portrayed as some loner and not as the jetsetting playboy he's been portrayed as for years. Besides, if you don't like what you see in this movie, why ruin it for others? Just don't go to see it. I don't know how you can look down upon a live-action Batman movie that actually respects the source material, but somehow you do. Oh, and you previously said the trailer looked like a James Bond trailer, and it made you laugh. What part of it made you laugh, and how the hell does it look like a James Bond trailer?

One last thing. Why do you have hopes that physical pain will be inflicted upon Christian Bale? Did he do something similar to you? If he did, than you can wish as much damage upon him as you want.

16. Phantasm

Phantasm Bittersweet Symphony.

GUYS.There's going to be something about Batmjan Begins on Access Hollywood tonight!;)

17. Marvel_Knight

Well Chris Nolan said this would be a Bond like movie. With Bruce around the world and such.

18. EJill34

EJill34 Member

But I was talking about the trailer. The trailer plays out like a thriller movie, not a Bond film.

19. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

What the hell is your problem? Whether Keaton was great or not (and I liked him, too), there's no way he's ever going to be Batman again, now. He's too old, and doesn't even want to do the role any more.

By the way you're saying it, you're suggesting that if Keaton died, there should be no further Batman movies beyond that point because no one is worthy. That's just stupid and short-sighted.

Keaton was great but we've already had two Bat-actors since then, get used to it. Bale will likely have this role for two or three movies before the WB even considers getting someone else in the suit.

Deal with it.

-Tim

20. Shaggy&Daphne

Shaggy&Daphne It's show time!

I'm not obsessed with Michael Keaton. Where did that come from? He just happens to be one of my favorite actors and the perfect man to play Batman. You continue to question my belief that Michael Keaton is the ideal Batman, which he is, and say that he didn't look or act anything like he did in the comics. One of the main reasons I thought he was perfect for the role was because he was not physically built the way the character was in the comics. The exact same reason you thought he was wrong for the role. Batman is an ordinary guy with no powers of any kind, therefore he should look like and ordinary guy as well, meaning that he should be an average height and be in good physical shape, but nothing more. No different than the average good-looking guy you pass on the street every day. That way, you're able to identify with the character so much more and it makes him seem so much more realistic and grounded in reality. At least that's the way I see it.

And as for my belief that Michael Keatons performance was incredible in both Batman and Batman Returns, I am not basing my opinion on how close his interpretation was to the character in the comics. I am basing it on Michael's own interpretation of the character and how he presented it to us on screen. It has nothing to do with the comics and should have no bearing on the quality of his performance. This is not a comic-book movie; it is a REAL movie that is based off of material from a comic-book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.