Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Sarada, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

Months ago Schemmel claimed that Ocean would be doing their own dub for Canada. He has since recanted those comments on FaceBook, but it seems Kirby Morrow has brought the subject back up this September 8, 2010. Because I'm a lazy bum, here is the Daizenshuu EX transcript of what Morrow had to say.

Damn, you Canadians are going to be on your fifth adult Gokû. :sweat:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2010
  2. Paradox295

Paradox295 Chicks dig it, dude!

All I'm hoping is that this will come to the UK

3. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

The Daizex headline said it would, but I'm not sure if that's an assumption on Mike's part or not...

...it might be the very same company that produced the Canadian dubs of the first three series'...in that case, you can kiss a home video release goodbye. >_<

4. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

Why would Canada need a separate dub anyway? Are there any kind of issues with the one Funimation created?

Also, I'm aware of the fact that Dragon Ball (Pre-Z) also had a separate one for Canada. I think it was made a studio called "Blue Water".

5. PC!

PC! lolwut?

So has it pretty much been confirmed this is going to be a quote/unquote "hackdub" like their original dub of Z?

6. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

CanCon. Not to mention the fact that supposedly the International community revolted when they heard the 'Americanized' dub voices when FUNimation brought recording down to Texas.

FUNimation did all of the editing and writing for those first 'fifty-three' episodes of Dragon Ball Z. Ocean was just where they recorded. Even the 'International English dub' they did while FUNimation was recording their 'episodes #54+' used the same video and scripts as FUNimation.

I suspect this will be the very same video that is being used for either The CW4Kids or Nicktoons, as well as the same scripts. Schemmel claimed months back that the music and sound effects were being replaced. This was done with the Dragon Ball Z dub of edited episodes #108-276' (or just #123-291, since by then FUNimation had resynch with the Japanese episodes).

7. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

Man, it seems no matter what happens in life, there's going to be a new format of Dragon Ball in some media.

8. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

I bet if somebody wrote it as a scientific law they might win a Nobel Peace Prize.

I just hope to goodness this doesn't start up more of those 'Ocean v. FUNi' fanboy debates. >_<

9. King

King I'M GOING TO JAPAN!

What? I thought through out the Ocean dub DBZ series use the same Goku VA since the very begining (90's).

(I personally like that Goku VA. Though, he doesn't show any serious tone in his voice, but he does give that care free likeness. IMO)

Whatever. I guess the whole "FUNi vs Ocean" debate dub will go on. :sweat:
    (Oh god :sad: )

10. Lockjaw

Lockjaw New Member

Being form the uk, i am a big fan of the ocean dub. It would have been great if they went back and dubbed episode's 54-102 of the original series but this is better than nothing.

11. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

Ian James Corlett: Edited episode #1-37 and the broadcast version of the third film (split into three episodes and aired during Season Two).
    Peter Kelamis: Edited episodes #38-53; 108-144 and home video dubs of the first three Dragon Ball Z films.
    Sean Schemmel: the on-and-off aired FUNimation in-house dub.
    Kirby Morrow: Edited episodes #145-276.
    Jeffrey Watson: Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball's twenty-third Tenka'ichi arc.
    Jeremiah Yurk: Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball GT.

12. Sgt.Frog

Sgt.Frog New Member

What's the point of making two dubs of the same show? Americans and Canadaian already sound pretty alike just look at a Canadian show like Total Drama World Tour.

13. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

In the case of this franchise? Using Canadian voices, music, and sound effects make it easier for networks to air the show (CanCon requires a certain percentage of shows aired are Canadian). There was also word back in the day (when Ocean/Airwaves Sound/Westwood did their dub of Dragon Ball Z #123-291) that YTV was fed up with FUNimation sending the show to them so much later than they did CN and the international community generally disliking the FUNi actors.

So basically, it all comes down to money. Kind of hard to beat that.

14. suss2it

suss2it New Member

That's bound to happen no matter how much we hope it doesn't.

15. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

By the way, Dennis Hrehoriac and Diane Gage are listed as producers in the Nicktoons run of the show here in the US (under Ocean, considering they make they censor the show). I can't seem to find much information about how to contact them, either. An interview would be nice, espicially since they were involved with the Canadian dubs of the first three series'.

Yeah, it's pretty much a guaranteed fact. :p

Doesn't mean I can't hope for a miracle. :p

EDIT: Not that I probably couldn't just 'ignore it'. Or laugh at the ensuing debates. ;)

16. Innagadadavida

Innagadadavida Doenaught

I doubt the validity of this claim. I doubt Canada or Europe had any of a larger "revolt" than America did over the original shift from Ocean to FUNi's in-house cast. Sounds like something spread by someone who has it against FUNi's in-house cast, or a statement made for publicity.

The real reason for Canada's own dub is the law which requires a certain percentage of domestic programming.

Also, has anyone mentioned the alleged replacement score yet? Sean Schemmel made some comments about this some time ago.

17. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

Fifth?

Ian James Corlett
    Peter Kelamis
    Kirby Morrow
    ...? (Morrow's future replacement)

Am I missing someone?

18. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy New Member

Oh boy. I hope they definitely don't use the Toonzai-4Kids version for the video. Atleast Nicktoons' version makes the story still comprehensible.:sweat:

It disappoints me that they won't use Funimation's already excellent dub for international release, because I can't imagine Ocean doing any better. Besides, they probably won't keep the Japanese score and sound effects.

19. Pepperidge

Pepperidge New Member

If FUNimation thinks that giving the show an entirely new dub that gets Canadian Content points is the only way to get a Canadian broadcaster to pick the series up, then they aren't trying hard enough. I doubt that is the issue though, since they've had more than half a dozen series' run in Canada with the American dubs intact.

There doesn't seem to be any one good reason why Ocean keeps insistent on making separate dubs for Dragon Ball properties, just a lot of really stupid ones. Don't get me wrong, I love to see them getting work, but this just seems like an enormous waste of time and resources. Why can't FUNi just send them a fresh series from their massive backlog to work on instead?

I really hope he was wrong about that one. I'd also be surprised if Ocean manages to put out an HD version of this series. I fear the worst for AV quality in this version.

20. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

I agree there is little validity to the claims made by the online Ocean fan community. As far as my experience with said sect of fandom goes, it wouldn't totally surprise me if it was true.

I repeat the line enough, though, that I must have carelessly said 'generally' instead of 'supposedly'.

They got in-house FUNimation broadcasts on-and-off so I included Schemmel. The Blue Water actors escaped my mind at first, but I did mention them several posts later.

I imagine it's a matter of trust and wanting their titles to be kept in-house. They do quite seem to like promoting their actors at cons and on their social networking sites and it's typically a lot easier to do that when said people are at arms reach.