1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: I've decided that I like "Weird Al" Yankovic after all!

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Captain Caps, May 10, 2001.

1. Captain Caps

Captain Caps Active Member

I was thinking about it in school today, and I realized, "You know, 'Weird Al' isn't such a bad guy after all". I'll admit that I like some of his newer stuff, and I've decided not to take offense after all at the minor profanity he used in "Jerry Springer".

I guess that I was just a (bleep) for disliking "Weird Al", but now I've changed. While he's done some things I don't like, I now say: "Hell, every music artist I enjoy has done a few things I disagree with". Can I be accepted a little more now that I like "Weird Al" again?

By the way, I found out that Al got married recently. Good for him! I went on the official website, and the photos of his good day looked nice. One quibble: I noticed Al with a glass of wine in one photo. I thought that to be odd, being as he's been rather anti-drug (to the best of my knowledge) and he refused to do a beer commercial after an actor in his movie "UHF" was killed by a drunk driver (beer and wine both containing alcohol, a drug I'm not so fond of). Any views on this Al-cohol matter? (Despite the pun, I would like serious answers only, please)

Sincerely,

John "Captain Caps" Kilduff

2. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

Welcome aboard! I dunno about anyone else, but I've never had a problem with your not liking Weird Al. As to the wine, some people who're normally teetotalers will make an exception for weddings. I dunno, I guess that's as good an explanation as any. That, or another case of a celebrity saying one thing & doing another. Cya 'round, Captain.

3. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

The general opinion in the medical community seems to be that *moderate* alcohol consumption- say, one glass of wine with lunch and a beer with dinner- is harmless to the great majority of people, and may even have some health benefits (alcohol dilates blood vessels, so can help keep veins open; the tannic acid in wines seems to be good for the heart.)
    Over-consumption is another matter; regularly ingesting enough to get drunk is damaging to the liver, and, of course, factors in a horrific number of car accidents.

Here's the problem: some people can't seem to keep their drinking moderate. If they take one drink, they *have* to take another, and another. Such people are better off abstaining. Or at least restricting their drinking to only certain occasions, with somebody else driving them home afterwards.

4. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

Who's the lucky lassie? Or is her name not given? I recall in an interview he said (perhaps facetiously, perhaps not) that some of his relatives were wondering if his door might swing the other way because he was 40, compulsively thin and neat, and unmarried. I guess their concerns have been laid to rest.

They do make non-alcoholic champagne, suitable for teetotalers and expectant mothers. Though if you want to be very technical, it's not rightfully called champagne unless it's made of certain grapes in a certain French town--all else is "sparkling wine". On that note, true caviar is only found in certain sturgeon in a particular Russian lake--all else is just "fish roe".
    Women are more susceptible to the effects of alcohol because they are usually smaller, lighter, and their bodies can't absorb it right (their systems lack a certain enzyme that breaks down alcohol). If I and a five-foot-two, 110-lb. woman were to each drink six wine coolers straight, for example, she'd show the effects more than me (six-one, 220 lbs.). Also, a woman doesn't have the muscle control of her bladder that a man does, so as she vomits, she's more likely to piddle herself simultaneously.
    Why can't some control their drinking? I think it's due to (a) desinsitization (the more you booze it up the more needed to get a buzz) and genetics (studies have suggested that alcoholism runs in families).
    Why do people drink? It feels good. Even horses and elephants know that--that's why they nosh on fermented fruits and then stagger around pixilated. I don't know if that shows intelligence, mind you...but they can remember what the good stuff is and where to score it.
    Like anything you eat and drink, alcohol has to come out somehow--which it does through your pores. My former health teacher talked of a collegue of his who slings back so much hootch that he actually sweats it. It stains his T-shirts and, on a hot day, the smell of booze seeps out of the guy's skin. I can't speak for you guys, but that's enough to turn me off the sauce.
    As the Greeks said, "All things in moderation."