1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

O.k., ....

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by Radical Raven, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Radical Raven

Radical Raven Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...

I know this wiki is young, but we need to get a few things straightened out right away;

1. Individual Character Articles?: We already have an article on Cadpig. It was suggested that we simply have a link to a Main Characters list on each page, but I did this and it was erased. THIS IS IMPORTANT! There are pros and cons to having individual character articles; the chief con is it'll be HARD, but the chief pro is it will give us something that wikipedia does not have. The current Looney Tunes article, by the way, is probably not sufficient; we need more than a brief description of the kind of short each character stars in; Wikipedia has more than that.

2. Advertising?: We have at least two articles that are better than there Wikipedia equivalents. Should we add links to our site on these Wikipedia articles?

3. Spoilers?: I already asked this in the Grand Day Out thread, but nobody answered me:mad: . I stand by the belief that a no-spoilers policy is a bad-idea.

I have no clue whos in charge here, but whoever you are, this message is mostly meant for you. You're the only one that can make final decisions! Plz respond.

2. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I know all of this, which is why the TZ Wiki article has a WIP tag. It's not finished by any means and I plan on adding more stuff. I have, you know, a job and real-life responsabilities which are a bigger priority.

But hey, nothing is stopping you from expanding the article.

Doesn't matter. The no-spoilers policy stays and I agree that allowing it (the policy) is good. Last thing we need is people complaining that one of our articles ruined the series for them.

Obviously there are exceptions. Everybody knows the general outcome of most of the Disney movies (although I can't say I like scene-by-scene plot descriptions even for those films), but you can't just go around and post who the winner of Total Drama Island is or who gets killed in Naruto. People who want a general description of a series don't go looking for that stuff.

3. Radical Raven

Well, to your first thing; I know. I'm not blaming anyone for the Looney Tunes articles set-up; I haven't expanded it for exactly the same reason. I'm just pointing it out as a way to influence my first point; (Does Daffy Duck deserve an article? What about Marvin? etc...)

And to the 2nd thing; Wjile I don't want to ruin anyones surprise, I still think that she would should be able to include as much info as possible in the articles. Thats why I suggested a warning tag. The people who don't want to know will be warned away from the article; people who are editing can include all the info they want.

4. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

No. I believe that’s the last thing that we should examine, as currently, we would only make people angry if we attempted to do that. After we get things working properly, then we can consider such things, but even then I believe that it would only be appropriate under special circumstances.

Spoilers are inevitable, but only to some degree. While it would be next to impossible to provide information about an animated work and its characters without revealing some information, people shouldn’t contribute anything to the Toon Zone Animation Wiki that would ruin the experience for those who haven’t seen it before. If you ever want to contribute something but are unsure if it would be permitted, feel free to send me a private message.

GWOtaku and I are in charge of this project, but this is a community effort and we prefer to hear multiple opinions before we decide on anything.

The way that I see it, if somebody can write up an objective article about a cartoon character and can provide substantial information, there is no reason why they shouldn’t have their own page. However, the key word is substantial. I wrote that page for Cadpig and I took some flak for it, but I fervently believe that there is enough information there to satisfy any search for information about the character.

People shouldn’t create a new page for a character if they can only write a paragraph or two. If enough information doesn’t exist for the character to have their own page, then their information can just be added to the show’s page or the corresponding characters’ page. Of course, this is just my personal opinion; GWOtaku and I will hammer out our official position before too much longer.

5. Radical Raven

O.K. , you've sorta cleared up my Character Article Question. I request that some of those Character List Articles be deleted, as I can write good articles for all of those characters.

As for the Advertising thing, I just brought it up 'cause it worked so well at the Mario Wiki.

6. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

Just be careful. As I’ve said, GWOtaku and I still have to hammer out the official policy; I believe that pages for individual characters will be permitted when all is said and done, but make sure that the pages that you contribute are informative and objective.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I'm not going to stop people from writing about characters, if someone makes one I'm sure not going to be all stern and saying "you can't do that!" That said, it needs to be understood that writing information about shows and significant parts of animation history and the animation industry should generally come first. I could write plenty about, say, Heero Yuy of Gundam Wing, but if the Gundam Wing article has almost nothing how much good is it? The fact is, not much. There's content that I feel we should be trying to focus on as a community, and I hope to get into that pretty soon. We've talked before about building a foundation of information for the Wiki, and that's something that I believe in. In general, a top-down approach is what we want.

On advertising, what TZ articles choose to link to or what the main page itself links to is rather out of my hands. Perhaps something like a "TZ Wiki article of the day" or "of the week" would be a neat idea, but frankly I don't think the Wiki is nearly developed enough for a feature like that just yet.

The spoiler policy is something that needs to stay for now. Our purpose is to inform. Besides, even if there weren't a policy, I'd rather see focus on baseline information like I was talking about instead of super long summaries of plots from cartoons. That would be an even bigger distraction than super long character dissertations, and I've seen more than a few Wikipedia articles that are basically a long rant trying to tell you every little thing. We can do better than that.

8. Radical Raven

Obviously it makes no sense creating an article on Mr. Krabbs when we don't even have one for Nickelodeon. i completely understand that.

The general lack of rules/rule enforcement is another thing; I like the loose feel this wiki has (a lot tend to be ridiculously tight) but if 20-some users all try to do different things at once, you could have a problem.:shrug:

9. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Indeed. Rules are my current project.

10. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

I think the wiki article of the day idea has a lot of merit, and would do a lot to inform people about various articles that need improving.

Also, on the spoiler issue, I think a system similar to Wikipedia's old system, where they had a spoiler tag on the plot section if there were spoilers in that article, is ideal, but I could understand if you don't want spoilers at all. Unmarked spoilers, which I believe Wikipedia currently has, are probably my least favorite system, in terms of spoilers.

11. Radical Raven

Again, I am completely, 100% behind a Spoilers Tag.