1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Not getting four seasons.

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by VG_Addict, Oct 1, 2014.

1. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

It really sucks living in Texas, where I don't get to enjoy four distinct seasons like everyone else. I wish I could move up north.

2. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's kind of like that here in Central California. We get summer (oh boy do we get summer), a decent fall and a pretty good winter. But then as spring starts to begin, it often feels like it just suddenly skips the majority of it and jumps straight back into summer. Ugh. I miss living in the San Francisco Bay Area so much. Springtime there was always so nice.

3. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Me too.

Indiana is a perfect example of how it gets four distinct seasons. Fall and spring are lovely, but what I don't like is their typical quick weather pattern changes. The forecast for tomorrow's high is 85 degrees, then in two days it's only in the 50s - jacket weather.

4. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

But Texas is the only place that doesn't get four seasons.

5. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Me too.

Florida doesn't have them, either. Florida and its subtropical climate.

6. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Ah, but those are the highs. I work third shift, so that nasty low in the 30s is a little off-putting. Gotta dig out my gloves.

Although it's been weird this summer having so much moisture in the air. Got used to the "so dry a spark could start a wildfire" level of moisture the last few summers have had. Wonder what this bodes for winter, though I could really do without the Almost-Christmas flooding of last year.

7. Gatordragon

Gatordragon You are a pebble against a mountain!

As a Floridian myself, I can tell ya'll that it's true. I'm okay with it, though. Only once have I seen it snow here. Well, it was more like a flurry, but I was able to scrounge up enough snow to make a small snowball.

For the last few years, Winter in Florida has been Winter in name only. Most of the time, it's not even cold.

8. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Yeah the closer you are to the equator, the less distinction there is between seasons.

9. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Speaking as someone who's lived on the East Coast his whole life and for whom raking leaves and shoveling and sloshing through snow are among their least favorite activities, I think I can safely say that you're not missing anything great by not experiencing 4 seasons. My goal is to one day live in a climate of around 70-80 degrees all year long. If I never had to deal with the cold stuff ever again, that would suit me just fine.

10. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Over here we're not getting four seasons either. :sad:
    It rained over here for most of the summer, then we had a hot week this week and it will be cold by next week.

11. Mick

Mick Member

I'm not too satisfied living up here in the northeast. I've had enough of the four seasons. I honestly can't stand it. Whenever possible I will totally move out of New York... whenever I have the time and capital, I'm totally moving to somewhere pretty hot. Where? Who knows.

12. Whimsical Crank

Whimsical Crank Sensible to a Slight Degree

^Yeah, when getting down to it, the Northeast (where I'm also from) really does suck weather-wise. Sunshine only 50-60% of the time, the humidity, the extremes in both summer and winter (though other places have it worse overall, the Northeast is pretty bad in my opinion), the amount of rain we get, I'm sick of it all personally. The best place I think to enjoy the four seasons distinctively AND not deal with the horribly high humidity, rain and lack of sunshine is Albuquerque. A city that gets 77% of sunshine all year and never gets too cold (nor snowy) or too hot (or at least not too humid all the time when the temperature reaches 100 degrees) sounds pretty darn good to me. Now if only they have jobs for my field there.

13. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I'll happily trade places with you. :D Give me snow and rain any day over heat and sunshine.

14. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

So a guy who hates the cold lives in the East Coast and a guy who hates the heat lives in California...meanwhile, a Tetris movie is being made, and Pluto's a planet again...what world do I live in?

Anyway, as for not getting 4 seasons, it's not that big a deal. Fall is easily the best season, as all the others have bullying heat (summer), freezing cold (winter), and constant rain (spring). I'd kill to have the fall breeze and heat for the rest of my life, only needing a jacket on occasion. That would be heaven!

15. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I've had my years in hot climates but spent most of my years on the east coast, and I wouldn't give up four seasons for anything. Sometimes it feels as though the weather here can be pretty schizophrenic but when I can get a perfect Autumn day, everything in the world is right.

16. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

I understand... I live in Oklahoma. We kind of have four seasons... Kind of. You have summer which just totally dominates the year (it's still supposed to get up to 90 this week. >.>), and then you have the other three seasons. Fall being pretty visually but usually not the nice balance between cold and hot it should be. Winter is a complete and total mess, but one thing's for certain - winters here are pathetic in terms of temperatures and snowfall rates. It can get quite cold, but it only lasts a few days before it shoots back up into the 70s. Spring pretty much happens during winter and when it's Spring on the calender it's just heat and tornadoes.

I would love to move somewhere more normal... Where Winters are cold, and Springs are nice.

17. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

But all the other places get four seasons.

18. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Sorry for bumping this thread but I have to tell you something:
    Here in Portugal, it has been raining quite a lot and it's not even June yet and the mid-year heat hasn't even started yet.
    This spring was actually one of the wettest ones I have ever seen! It was barely spring, and it seems like it lasted for a week at best. Lots of rains happened since the year started and it doesn't seem to be a very stable year.
    Today, it felt like a spring day, but that was before I started feeling the rain this afternoon. Plus people told me that it's also storming, though occasionally.

19. Deebee

Deebee Purple Puma

I'd argue that Southern California has a summer 2.0 instead of fall. You could maybe count it as fall since most trees lose their leaves, but that's about all that's fallish about it. The entire season is just waiting for hellish heat to pass. Literally the entire season. I'm always "wtfing" in November when it still doesn't dip below 80 at 3am.