NIS America Gets Cardcaptor Sakura (And Will Even Give it A Dub!)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by MadMan400096, Apr 30, 2014.

1. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Read 'em and weep, CLAMP fans.

I was definitely expecting this to go to Discotek, and NIS especially was the last company I expected it to go to. Guess they're really serious about expanding into dub territory. Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing, of course.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

WOW, I'm so happy. I've waited years for this! And a possibly uncut dub? People are gonna freak! Please let Sailor Moon be next!

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

This is fantastic news. I've wanted Cardcaptor Sakura to get a redub for ages. I'd be happy with legally streaming the subbed version at this point, but this is terrific news.

4. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

That's AWESOME NEWS! Im glad for all the USA Sakura Fans!

5. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

For the record, if it's the dub I'm thinking of, it's actually an older dub and was originally aired on Animax Asia. That may also explain why it's mono as opposed to stereo.

6. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

So given that it's an Asian dub possibly, how unlistenable is said dub? Asian English dubs aren't praised for their quality ever.

7. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

Whoa, the last thing I was expecting and the thing I've been most looking forward to for years now. I thought Discotek if anyone, but instead we get the complete series not only on Blu-ray but in one premium edition set from NISA, and in only a few months, while we still don't know when Discotek will have their lesser movie out on Blu-ray after all this time since announcing it. Now the question is who gets the second movie. It's the conclusion of the series, but Discotek might have a better chance. At any rate, after this I no longer have too much doubt that it will be licensed, which makes me incredibly happy.

It would be amazing for NISA to have Bang Zoom! produce a new dub for the entire series with the Movie 2 cast, but it's pretty clear this will be the Animax dub. Hopefully the use of the word "bonus" in describing it means it will default to Japanese, because that would be a lot of changing over I'd have to do otherwise.

And with this coming after Toradora!, NISA is really winning this summer.

I'll order it when it goes up on their site to get the bonus item.

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Damn this is amazing. I definitely didn't expect any kind of dub track. That Blu-ray set is a serious contender for anime release of the year.

This is another remaster of a 90s show that really shines. The extra money is worth it.

[video=youtube_share;PH6PZlLoZk4]http://youtu.be/PH6PZlLoZk4[/video]

I have limited knowledge of Animax dubs and the like, but FWIW some are better than others. Heard some clips from a dub of Toward the Terra once, which was never adapted to English in North America. I was totally fine with it, for whatever that's worth. I realize I tend to be more mellow on this count.

9. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

It kind of funny this news should come up as I was re-reading this article.

There's probably some irony in the beginning of 'moe' being such a 'mainstream' series amongst American fans of Japanese cartoons. :lol:

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Complete and utter bunk. "No accepted premises", ha. Except for the one where you say CCS is moe because, what, Sakura has a cute character design Mr. Fuuta? This is a cute shoujo for kids, the end. That's the manga, that's the show, that's how it was in Japan, and so it would be just as outside the phenomenon as he says Spirited Away is as a thing not explicitly aiming at an otaku audience. Any connection the show has to that phenomenon is peripheral at best. One might as well say Pretty Cure qualifies also.

CLAMP delved into moe in spades in Chobits. That's where one can turn for an analysis that actually makes sense and has some grounding in reality. This ongoing idea it's all so vague and hard to understand and that no one can really know what it means.....yeah, no. That's absurd.

(incidentally further / deeper discussion of this topic, while OK, should probably go in its own thread).

11. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

The Animax dub (even if it is uncut) makes Cardcaptors' acting look like Citizen Kane.

12. FireStarterLE

FireStarterLE You don't want to see us mad

I've heard the R. Kenshin dub version that Animax Asia aired, it was .... interesting

13. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Was just listening to the Animax dub.

Eesh. What a mess that is. It sounds like they're dubbing for people with a 5-year old's level of English comprehension.

14. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 The Sleep Eater

hmm interesting i seen intro and stuff online alot i really wanted get into this show as well hoping see if toonami gonna be interested in this show to air

15. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

I think they'd say "not enough action".....ironically, they aired Cardcaptors once.

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I remember them airing Cardcaptors when they hadToonami on Kids' WB, but from what I've read, they had no control over it and it was forced onto them, much like how they had Hamtaro on the lineup on one point. If the dub is the uncut Animax dub, then they probably wouldn't air it just for that. I heard a bit of it and man was it bad.

17. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

Not so fast.

I'm sorry everyone, but this is too easy, in my opinion. Nelvana may not have the show anymore, but what's to stop NIS America from licensing that other "version" and releasing it as well (or worse yet, sub-licensing that version to some other company)? I won't be buying this show if the "one version for the fans, another for everyone else" disparity is brought back. Some of you may not agree with this stance, but the idea is to bring all viewers (anime fans, and casual/mainstream viewers) together, not drive them further apart, and for this reason, I can't and won't support this release if it ultimately ends up being given the "Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodiac" treatment. In any case, and assuming it won't be given this treatment, for those who might be considering the "I'm not getting this because it's not the version I remember" stance, IMHO, "nostalgia" (I word I personally feel gets overused sometimes) and "nostalgic feelings" can only go so far where English-dubbed (or otherwise) anime is concerned. Older anime like Gigantor (Tetsujin 28-go) or Speed Racer (Mach Go Go Go) are one thing since who knows when or if we'll ever get the Japanese versions of those shows (although it would be nice if that could happen), but with more recent (I'd say, early-mid 1980s) anime, we should reasonably expect to be given the original version as seen in Japan without catering to those people who might not know any better, not just when it first comes out, but when it's given a re-release much later as well. For these reasons among others, I think you should give this show a try. You might even like the new English dub (which I assume [for now] will avoid using certain four-letter words). This show: Cardcaptor Sakura, has been given a second chance, and it's my hope that It won't be wasted...

I'm sorry if the above sounded like a rant, but the long and short of it is that I want to support not just the show as it was originally created, but the franchise as well, and not just one company/entity's (referring to Nelvana in this case) personal interpretation of it (i.e., one that also includes the original Japanese version of the show). I realize that to some of you, it seems as if I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I really don't feel that I am...

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

NIS America's release includes the Japanese audio track and uncut episode footage, per the product listing. There is no issue here. They're doing this right and fans would do well to reward that.

19. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Not with a low-fi dub from Cambodialaysiapore they won't.

20. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Not really interested in this show but I can't deny this is big news. Congrats, fans!