Nintendo Going Digital - Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, May 1, 2012.

1. River26

River26 Active Member

What do you guys think of the latest confirmation by Nintendo that they will include digital game releases, alongside the physical game store release? And knowing this, will you try this new thing that Nintendo is offering?

By IGN
    "Nintendo has confirmed to IGN that it plans to support both third and first party content for its new digital initiative. Late last week the publisher revealed that, starting this August with New Super Mario Bros. 2, all self-published games will be available on launch day in digital and packaged forms. This plan applies to both the 3DS and Wii U.

"We are currently preparing a program for third parties but have nothing specific to announce at this time," a Nintendo representative told IGN, when asked about the company's plans to include other publishers. There's currently no word on prospective partners, nor a timetable for their possible involvement. "

link
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/122...eed&utm_campaign=Feed: ignfeeds/wii (IGN Wii)

2. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

They're just finally catching up with everyone else. It's no big deal.

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I can't think of a reason not to take advantage of it for the 3DS; it's convenient to not have to carry multiple cartridges around. For the WiiU, well, I see no reason to download a PS3 game when I can just have a disc, and the same attitude applies here, but if nothing else the digital copy works as insurance against damage. If anything ever happens to your disc, you're not out of luck, whereas now you either buy another copy or go without. So it seems like a natural step forward.

4. spartanx54

spartanx54 New Member

It's definitely a step in the right direction. Vita I believe is partially digital.

And look how well digital distribution has been for Apple and Google.

5. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Every Vita game available at retail is available on PSN. Many at 10% discounts compared to the physical version, though I certainly wish it was a higher discount.

And yeah, this is just welcoming Nintendo to the 21st century again.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Oh, something I belatedly realized is that for Nintendo the digital copies are going to bind to hardware, not to an account like PSN.....which is dumb. All that does is give people incentive to never upgrade their 3DS if Nintendo rolls out a new model.

Regarding Nintendo catching up, right now 360 and PS3 titles aren't coming out in physical & digital formats on the same day and there are no plans announced yet...the Vita did it first but Nintendo's introducing this to a home console.

7. Shawn Hopkins

Are you sure? So if I lose my 3DS I lose my games? Who the heck would go for that deal? That's awful.

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Well, come to think of it, I'm assuming that you can't use your code to redownload your game. But if you can then I'm not quite understanding how Nintendo accomplishes its goal of not having downloadable games shared around.

Edit: A source:

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
  9. Shawn Hopkins

Geez, that's a dealbreaker. I think I'm still on my first DS, but I went through three or four Gameboy Advances. I tend to give them away to kids in my family. And what do we do when the inevitable new revs, the equivalent of the 3DSi and 3DSXL, come out?

10. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

For the record, it's not impossible to recover your lost downloadable games if you lose your 3DS. People who have lost their 3DS and gotten replacement units have phoned/e-mailed Nintendo and using their Club Nintendo account Nintendo has made their games re-available for download at no cost, even the Ambassador games. This can be done in less than a day.

It's not the most quick solution, sure, but it can be done.

11. Shawn Hopkins

Well, that's not as good as tying it to accounts, but it's better than nothing. I wonder if they will do that for hardware upgrades.

12. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

So that's another benefit for registering games to your Club Nintendo account, if I understand correctly? If so, it's just too bad you can only do that with Nintendo-brand games, and not the ones from their third party licensee companies.

If Wii U games are only going to be bound to hardware when you download them, I guess I'd just rather get the physical copies. As clumsy as I am, all my cartridges and game discs are actually in rather good shape anyway. Besides, I actually like taking a whiff of the inside of the game packagings when I take off the plastic wrapping and open them. It's kind of like the same with the smell of a book and why some people don't want them to be phased out by e-readers.

By the way, I read about someone's disappointment about how games downloaded to the Wii are only bound to the hardware and can't be recovered if the Wii unit were to get damaged or stolen. Then he talked about how it's why he doesn't feel bad about pirating Nintendo's games, and so many people even agreed with him.

13. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Tying it to the hardware is a deal breaker. But enough of a discount might make me consider buying some games I'll never be able to play on different hardware. At least when it comes to portables.

14. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Downloadable games are all registered automatically, whether they're first or third party. No exceptions.

Some third parties have also added Club Nintendo codes to their retail releases. Sonic Generations 3DS can be registered, for example.

15. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

3DS will face the same issues PSPgo had with many games not showing up digitally due to contracts being signed without digital rights. That's the major fault of starting the "Let's do DD retail releases" a few years after the platform has launched. Of course 3DS still has the ability to play retail games, unlike the Go, so the situation isn't entirely similar. Vita, and Wii U have/likely will avoid this due to digital distribution being a requirement from Sony/Nintendo.

16. Batmex

Batmex Avengers Assemble!

I pray that Nintendo will put some kind of regiulation or rules for third party developers, specialy EA and Capcom and their dirty DLC practices, if with physical discs we got scandals like the SFxTekken, what's to keep them from releasing games at 60-70% of content and sell you the rest in bits and pieces as "downloadable content" :sad:

17. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

No digital releases for me. One good power surge/drop/little kid not looking where they're going/etc and I'm out forty bucks in addition to a system replacement.

Why can't people do digital like Steam does it?

18. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

"Tied to hardware" has only been mentioned for the 3DS. It's been hinted (while not confirmed) that the WiiU will have a proper account system.

19. Shawn Hopkins

I think those prayers are going to go unanswered.

20. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Plenty of DLC is already confirmed for Fire Emblem 3DS with more likely on the way so yeah, I wouldn't expect Nintendo to take a hard line on the subject (especially when they want to attract third parties to their hardware). Just a sign of the times we're in, I suppose.