1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo 3DS - General Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jave, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shift

Shift Brave Warrior of the Sea

It might as well be; now you can only transfer notes locally, and only to people who happen to be in your Friend list. Won't even work with taking it around conventions; only the friends you come with will receive them. You'd be better off drawing on a bunch of sticky notes for all anyone will get to see them.

2. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

3. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Posting Nintendo Direct tidbits sourced from the official NoA twitter feed:

• Regginator showing off Zelda 3DS XL model, naturally. Unsurprisingly A Link Between Worlds has a StreetPass minigame where you can create a shadow Link and fight other people.
    • Mario Party Island Tour uses streetpass for games, has download play, comes with 80 minigames on the cart. Due on 11/22 at the same time as the next Zelda.
    • Bravely Default dated for 2/7/14, and it's getting a special edition.
    • Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy is dated for 2/28/14. My first Layton game that I finished was the one before this. It rocks. Exercise for your noggin!
    • Another awaited 3DS system update will introduce support for Miiverse and, in a "hell, it's about time" change, merge Wii U and 3DS eShop balances. No more separate wallets. It will also integrate Nintendo Network IDs. It will also add a Youtube app (and they're updating the Wii U one).
    Tidbits are tilting toward Wii U now. I'll update this post if I spot more stuff.

5. MDawg

Today's Direct is now on YouTube for your viewing enjoyment.

[video=youtube_share;mijfc0-zEgw]http://youtu.be/mijfc0-zEgw[/video]

I really do like nintendo's push for the indie market. I mean it does help that the big third party games just won't be coming to their console, but it's a nice option that Nintendo has been expanding on for quite a while now.

6. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

I've been waiting too long for 3DS Miiverse. Now we will be able to take screenshots of our games for sharing and showing off.

The legacy of Swapnote will live on.

7. Shawn Hopkins

Pretty important thing to note about the update. Spend any money you have on the 3DS in currencies outside your region or it goes bye bye.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-...rk-ID/FAQ/Nintendo-Network-ID-FAQ-828876.html

I have used Nintendo eShop in different regions, and I have funds in multiple currencies in my balance. What will happen to these funds after I register a Nintendo Network ID?

After registering a Nintendo Network ID, you will be unable to change regions and use multiple currencies – for instance, pounds and euros – in Nintendo eShop. The funds in the currency that corresponds to the country setting of your Nintendo Network ID will remain, and any funds in other currencies will be deleted and no longer usable. Please make sure to use up any other currencies before registering a Nintendo Network ID to your Nintendo 3DS system.

8. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

3DS Miiverse functionality won't support sending messages between users. I can't.

9. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

I'm expecting them to add it over time, albeit heavily restricted due to the whole Swapnote incident.

I'm also guessing they weren't adding it initially since they were banking on 3DS owners to keep using Swapnote as a messaging system during the beginning of Miiverse. Killing Swapnote definitely wasn't something they planned.

10. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Wait, if the Wii U can do it......do they plan on removing that feature as well?

Maybe I shouldn't say that.....

11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Uggggghhhhh. Okay.

So in late October, my 3DS XL acquired a problem where it could not get SpotPass Data. When going into the plaza it gave me this message: "Could not access SD card during the last attempt to use SpotPass. Please check that the SD Card is not full or write-protected." Neither issue applies to the system's original 4 GB SD card and this new 16 GB SD card I bought directly from Nintendo, and I can access the eShop and downloaded games with no trouble. So I call up tech support and explain things and they want me to ship it in for repair. So fine, I do that and go back to my GBA SP for a bit. Fast forward to about two weeks later and I get it back...and whatever they did, it didn't fix anything. The exact same problem is still there, which means they didn't even bother checking to see if what they'd done had fixed my issue. Lovely.

So at this point, I don't get what's wrong and am undecided on what to do next. Any ideas on solving this?

12. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

That's odd. What exactly is not working? All I can think of is a corrupted SD Card. Did you try copying everything to your PC, reformatting the SD Card, then copying everything to the SD Card back?

13. MDawg

Yeah, that problem really sounds like a corrupt SD card. I had a similar issue on my phone's a while back and had to replace it.

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Formatting is the one thing I haven't done, although this problem was actually the tipping point that got me to buy the 16 GB SD card. I'd meant to upgrade for awhile and figured maybe something had gone wrong with the 4 GB card. The bigger card is brand new. I transferred everything over and gave it a shot, but it was no good.

What's getting in the way of this reading correctly is the big unanswered question. The big practical impact this has that I've noticed is that I can't access the puzzle frames at all, outside of the original 3D images that could be collected at launch. The minigames work, StreetPass works. But accessing that SpotPass data = no go, every time.

15. MDawg

Power down your 3DS and pop in the SD card into your computer if you can. It should be able to rad all the data if it isn't bad completely and you can then copy the netire contents of the card to your system and then copy it over to a replacement card. See if that works at that point. If not, it's likely the card's data itself is corrupted and you're not going to easily recover it.

#635 MDawg, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
  16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Yep, I tried that. Yesterday I also formatted my 4 GB card and put it in just to see what would happen. That didn't address the issue either, so it sure seems as though the SD card isn't the problem? Talked to Nintendo and they want me to send the system back to a different, major repair center that will supposedly take a "closer look". Eeeeh. Don't think that's happening til' after Thanksgiving so I can at least give the new Zelda a whirl for awhile.

17. MDawg

It may be a case where the card reader on your 3DS is defective. I'm guessing that's why they want another look at it. Possibly the contacts on the card aren't touching the reader's or something.

18. Shawn Hopkins

Huh, I left my 3DS on the charger all night and it only charged 75 percent. I replugged everything, maybe it will work this time.

19. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

I saw that the 3DS eShop will be getting Super Mario Bros. 3 soon. I'm looking forward to that.

I also downloaded YouTube to my 3DS and I'm not sure I like it too much. I activated it, and logged into my own account, and there doesn't seem to be an option to play the videos that I've favorited in my account.

20. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

The 3DS Youtube app is very poor. It doesn't support 3D videos, has a low image resolution, and crashes a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.