Nintendo 3DS - General Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jave, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

We're only a few days away before Nintendo's new handheld is released in the west, so I figured we might start discussing what's to come in this new portable generation, courtesy of Nintendo's new system that allows to view and play games in 3D... with no glasses.

[​IMG]

Release Date:
    - Japan: Febraury 26, 2011
    - Europe: March 25, 2011
    - America: March 27, 2011
    - Australia: March 31, 2011

Launch Titles (America):
    First-Party:
    - Pilotwings Resort
    - Steel Diver
    - Nintendogs + Cats

Third-Party:
    - Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
    - The Sims 3
    - Madden NFL Football
    - Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
    - Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
    - Ridge Racer 3D
    - Super Monkey Ball 3D
    - Bust-A-Move Universe
    - Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
    - Asphalt 3D
    - Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
    - Rayman 3D
    - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

Pre-installed Software:
    - AR Games (Which includes over ten different mini-games)
    - Face Raiders
    - Mii Plaza
    - StreetPass Mii RPG
    - StreetPass Mii Puzzle

The 3DS will also have an eShop where you can download classic handheld games (GB, GBC, Game Gear and TurboGraphx-16 are confirmed so far) as well as new games (3DSWare) and 3D remakes of classic games, a web browser, and the ability to transfer DSiWare titles from your DSi. However, these features won't be available until late May when Nintendo announces a major firmware update.

Another feature included is StreetPass, which consists on exchanging information with other 3DS users by simply walking by them. If both of you have the 3DS on wireless mode, you can exchange stuff such as Miis, game data, or even have matches between them (which is possible on Street Fighter). The game doesn't have to be in the 3DS for communication to happen.

SpotPass will also allow the user to receive new information such as stages, characters and other things through updates via Wi-Fi. Whenever you're on a hotspot, the 3DS will connect and check for new available content.

This thread is to post basically all types of news, reviews, announcements and other stuff regarding the 3DS. If you have played it already, post your impressions here as well. Announcements of games you feel are popular enough, though, can have their own threads.

Discuss!

2. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Cool, I was hoping someone would make a thread. I'm still deciding what to pick up with the system for launch day.

I'm getting interested in Shadow Wars for my launch game, from all opinions so far its apparently a Fire Emblem/Advance Wars style strategy RPG by the creator of X-Com.

It looks pretty good in motion, too.

All early opinions point to it being the best original 3DS game at launch so far.

3. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Has there been any news about what will be available at the eShop for this in the first week, if anything?

5. Keiichi

Keiichi Prof Lurker

If you still have a Toys R Us open near you their having a buy one game and get the other 50% off starting Sun. So how big dose everyone think the launch will be?

6. Vyse

Vyse New Member

Probably not until close to May, when the 3DS eShop arrives.

BTW, as I'm bolding this: There will be a separate thread for the 3DS eShop come May ala our XBLA, WiiWare, DSiWare, and Virtual Console threads as well as the PSN thread. Any DSiWare games offered on the eShop will still be talked about on the DSiWare thread. More to come as I figure out the path of the discussion of the legal digital downloading. Please PM me if you have any questions/comments/criticisms/ideas. (Also, 3DS Ware accidentally revealed by Nintendo Greece)

Still mad that the 3DS is region-locked. A lot of things have come into play and makes me wonder if I'm going to skip a 1st gen Nintendo portable hardware for the first time (had original GB, GBA, and DS). It's a good system, no denying, but I'm not yet willing to blow another $300.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
  7. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

I could have won a unit from one of my local radio stations today. They had a question for us to answer and I actually knew it. I still don't want any of the launch games, but it would have been cool to snag a free unit, thus saving myself some money, and I'd have it ready for when a game I want does come out for it.

8. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

I won't be picking one up at launch. I have the money, but I'm going to be buying Mortal Kombat and Portal 2 soon and I don't want to spend TOO much on games right now. Not to mention the launch line-up is extremely lacking in my personal tastes. The only game I'd get is Super Street Fighter IV, which I already have on the 360, so it seems silly to run out and get a 3DS just for that right now. Nintendogs doesn't interest me, nor does PilotWings (which I've heard has little content anyway), and Steel Diver looks like a complete bore.

Maybe when Star Fox and Resident Evil: Revelations come around and all the missing features are added I'll pick one up. But be sure to let me know how it is! Because I really am looking forward to it!

9. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

As far as getting a game on launch is concerned, I plan to get Pilotwings, and I was further happy with that decision when I played the game at Best Buy and fell in love with it. I'm also planning on getting Steel Diver as well, but I'm going to see how that plays out.

10. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

From the GameFAQs release date page, here are the post-launch games with confirmed release dates in America:

- May 3: DualPenSports
    - May 10: Balloon Pop 2
    - May 17: Dead or Alive Dimensions; Spongebob Squigglepants
    - June 7: James Noir's Hollywood Crimes; Pacman & Galaga Dimensions
    - June 14: Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection
    - June 19: Captain America: Super Soldier
    - June 28: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclock

11. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

Out of that list of confirmed games to come out post-launch, looks like I'll be waiting until the end of June to get Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclock. That's the only game that appeals to me right now.

12. Keiichi

Keiichi Prof Lurker

Sheesh. With such a long dry spell til we get any good games I might cancel my pre order. But then Gamestop won't be having their trade in deal and I'll have to pay full price....

13. GoldTyphlosion

GoldTyphlosion Hahahaha

Luckily the 3DS will act like a second "DS" meanwhile so I can trade Pokemon between versions until the 3DS games I do want come out so I don't feel too bad about getting it at launch.

14. T&EKING

T&EKING New Member

The K-Mart's in my town shouldn't even attempt that. They need all the money they can get. 3DS looks good without any of the launch titles but if I had to pick it would be Super Street Fighter just for the multiplayer.

15. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Yeah, the launch lineup is very weak if you don't like Pilotwings or Nintendogs. Not even Riiiidge Raaaacerrr! can save it.

The first game that interest me is actually the Pinball Hall of Fame. I own a similar game for PS3, but it would be really neat to play the classic tables with some illusion of depth.

Hopefully there will be some really good games out by the holidays, though. I'll definitely get one eventually.

16. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

So I manage to play the 3DS at Best Buy. It pretty cool machine although the 3D did hurt my eyes a bit. Pilotwing Resort look kind of boring though. I hope when my birthday comes around in June there will be better games for when i buy the system.

Btw people who buy the game on Sunday can expect this update featuring OK GO music video White Knuckles. For limited time. Seems Nintendo can erase content from the 3DS with an update.

17. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

That'll make "homebrew" problematic, unless they just keep it offline. Maybe Nintendo has learned from the piracy problems they had on the Wii and the DS? Can't really say I blame them.

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

In truth, the North American release is about ten weeks early. The media narrative (and the truth) of the North American launch would be substantially different if we had this in June, where there will be more games and the 3DS store in time for E3 hype. I thought I'd read somewhere that we'd at least have Paper Mario then, but I guess that's actually TBD for now.

I demoed Pilotwings. My impression is that the system is nice and cool and all, though not a gamechanger. Stuff looks quite good whether you use 3D or not and I actually agree that things look a tad crisper in 2D. I don't fully buy into the E3 rhetoric (marketing hype going too far? No way!). I think the potential for immersion is great though. If anything, the extent that 3D doesn't blow my socks off is a good thing in a way...my feeling wasn't amazement or a "wow, this is different" sentiment but a sense that the visual effect was natural, that it was ordinary, that it belonged. A quiet, understated, appealing evolution, not a revolution.

The effect does take some getting used to. It feels kinda different when your eyes are looking at 3D compared to 2D. It does for me anyway. I doubt I'm one of those that would actually get tired looking at it. But only prolonged gameplay will let me know this for sure. Five minutes of Pilotwings doesn't.

Pilotwings looks nice and seems like a leisurely game....I just can't see why I would ever pay $40 for it. I suspect getting just about anything else will deliver more game for the money. This Telegraph review explains my general feelings about it, except in informed detail.

19. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

Pilotwings strikes me as a game that really should have come bundled with the 3DS itself. Like Wii Sports was more or less a tech demo for the Wii, Pilotwings looks like a tech demo for the 3DS. What I've heard from basically every review is that the game is fun but it's severely lacking in any long-lasting content. Most say that within a day or two you'll probably lose interest.

20. TheEscapeArtist

TheEscapeArtist New Member

Yeah, this is definitely something I want but definitely something i'm going to wait for. The only game that I want for the 3DS thats out right now is Street Fighter. Everything else right now just seems meh. I'm just going to wait for Zelda and Kid Icarus or I may just wait until the "3DS XL" or the "3DS Lite" or whatever the next version is called.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.