1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo 3DS - General Talkback Thread 2

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by defunctzombie, Feb 6, 2014.

1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Outside of some likely-worthless feature (3D or a "special" area), there's really not much that the New 3DS offers that makes it a must-buy for me. I'm happy with my 3DS XL and outside the amiibo stuff, there really isn't anything that screams "must buy" for the New series. It was the same thing with the DS and DSi. There just isn't anything there that will motivate anyone but new buyers or die-hards who have to have the newest revision of the hardware always.

2. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Yeah, even as someone that owns a "new" 3DS XL, unless you really want built-in amiibo support and you want to play Xenoblade Chronicles or Binding of Isaac Rebirth, it's not really worth it to upgrade if you have any other 3DS family system. There are some advantages like using Miiverse for Smash Bros, and faster skipping speed for enemies turns in Code Name STEAM thanks to the faster processing power. Not a big fan of the stylus and cartridge placement, especially the cartridge since my fear is accidentally hitting the cartridge while playing the game and popping the game.

Though as far as amiibo support is concerned, considering the new NFC reader will come out this week with the release of Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, you could argue that amiibo support edge the "new" model has is a little bit moot. Provided that is, if you don't mind having a separate device if you have amiibo fever like me.

3. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

In my opinion it's just another gimmick. I would compare it to when the GBC came out, except that was an actual improvement. This is closer to the GB micro. An extra stick and a few more clicks in processor power is nothing. Besides, I'd rather have a larger screen than a changeable case (which the player doesn't even see anyway unless it's off).

4. MDawg

#164 MDawg, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I seriously hope that they have something on a new main series Pokemon game. I'm probably getting my hopes up for that, but they've been taking their sweet time with announcing a new game after revealing the new forms of Zygarde. It might just be on games that they've already announced, but I'm pretty desperate for Pokemon news at this point. They'll probably cover some more on Pokken Tournament at least.

6. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

Isn't there supposed to be something big on the 15th of this month where the director of Pokemon himself was showing up? Or was that just a rumor?

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I believe that's true. I remember reading somewhere that the director of Pokemon was supposed to appear on a new Pokemon variety show on the 15th. I don't know if they've confirmed that since I haven't heard much about that appearance for awhile. If it is true, then that would possibly make it more likely for them to finally announce the new game in a couple of days with this Nintendo Direct.

8. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

9. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

Junichi Masuda tweeted out to watch the Direct today, so I think it's safe to say we'll be getting *some* Pokemon news.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's good to know. It may be just more information on Pokken Tournament and maybe Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon since that comes out later this month in the U.S., but hopefully they'll announce a new main series game too. Even though I'm glad that they're taking a year breather from releasing a new main series game, I really want them to just announce it so there can be something more to speculate on. That and it gives me something else to look forward to for next year.

11. MDawg

Today's direct starts now! View it live or later on

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow will be available on the 3DS Virtual Console next year. They also revealed another free to play title with Pokemon Picross. I am disappointed that they didn't reveal a new main series game. We know that it is on the way. Just announce the darn thing already. Delaying the announcement just feels annoying.

Even though, playing the original Pokemon games does sound like a pretty cool way to celebrate the franchise's 20th anniversary and playing through older main series Pokemon games does sound pretty neat. I'll probably need to get either a new 3DS or someone else to transfer my information to a new larger SD card since I don't want to risk messing things up again like I did with that last attempt.

13. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

In any case, this means that other "game link" games (including F-1 Race, where up to four people could play) can be handled the same way, which also means that it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask if any of the existing games would get updates that would now include support for the original 2 player/multiplayer modes they had. Oh yeah, this would also include the "infrared transfer" functions found in certain Game Boy Color games (including most [in]famously, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe), not to mention both types of multiplayer in certain Game Boy Advance games (which either required just one Game Pak or one for each player depending on the game). Here's hoping in any event...

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

After thinking more about it, getting the original Pokemon games would allow me to try raising of first generation Pokemon that I haven't used before or haven't used in ages. It will be kind of weird to go back to the first games, especially after stuff like natures and EV training have been introduced, and I feel like grinding will be pretty challenging too, but it does sound like fun. Just seeing the video announcement and hearing the old music just made me feel nostalgic, even though I have much more nostalgic fondness for the second generation than the first one. Playing them while waiting for the new main series game to come out could work nicely.

15. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

There's still the 15th!

Would he really come on to talk about what was announced today?

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's true, although I wouldn't be surprised if he did come on to talk about this announcement instead. The original Pokemon games being available on the 3DS Virtual Console would be a pretty big deal and this might be the start of their celebration for the 20th anniversary too. My disappointment has calmed down a bit after imagining playing through old Pokemon games for ages, but I do still hope that we get some new main series game announcement. I guess I'm just too eager and impatient for one after expecting them to make an announcement for the past few months.

17. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

As much as I think the VC needs R/B/Y and on, I can't imagine myself enjoying them too much these days. Every one is so pumped to play them again because of nostalgia, but they'll quickly realize exactly how dated they are when all of the improvements made over the years in Pokemon games are gone.

Like boxes. The fact that back then you couldn't catch a Pokemon if the box the computer was on is full, and the fact that the box view was clunky and there was the whole saving and loading switching from box to box.

Not looking forward to all of that. D: Just give me FR/LG. Lol.

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I imagine that they've fixed some of the technical issues the original games had for the Virtual Console. The games will still feel pretty dated and they might not have held up that well due to all of the improvements other Pokemon games have made over the years, but I haven't played the games in years, so I'm kind of curious to see how well they feel after playing through the most recent games. It is a more interesting way to allow old and new fans to play through the original games without making another remake.

Although, I still wouldn't be against another Kanto remake, if only because I found FR/LG to be pretty lacking. It felt too much like just R/B with a new coat of paint and a few new upgrades/features. Compared to what they've done with HG/SS and OR/AS to expand from the original versions, I thought that FR/LG were kind of boring. It was kind of weird when I realized that I wouldn't be able to play as a female trainer in any of the original games though. I've been so used to playing one game as a female trainer and the other as a male trainer that I completely forgot that feature wasn't introduced until Crystal.

19. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

We might see those for the Wii U. Game Freak has already caved on the "No Pokemon on VC thing", and the 3DS can't emulate the GBA, so there's no chance of one set of eShop rereleases cannibalizing the sales of the other.

20. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

That 3DS/GBA thing isn't going to last forever.

Besides, what's stopping Nintendo from releasing Minish Cap or Fire Emblem on the New 3DS? Technically it's a different system, and Club Nintendo is gone...