1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo 3DS - General Talkback Thread 2

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by defunctzombie, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Mega Man Legacy Collection would interest me if I hadn't already downloaded the first six Mega Man games from the eShop, although it does have some artwork that might be nice to look at.

2. Dread Lord

Dread Lord Banned

Still sad that there's been no news on Monster Tale Ultimate's release date. Generation one Pokemon games coming to the eshop sounds cool but I hope they give players the option to speed up the battles and walking by 4x like in Poekmon Stadium. There was no running shoes in the originals if I remember correctly,and it felt like your character was walking through mud.

3. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

I'm pretty surprised we're getting Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3D here. I know Horii had kind of let it slip at a gaming expo about that a while back, but I wasn't sure if that would be confirmed and that announcement at the Direct came out of the blue (although Amazon listings got discovered before they made it by some NeoGAF folks). I was certain we'd probably never get at least one of the games. Good to know that the franchise isn't truly dead here, and hopefully it leads to the localization of DQXI...or maybe that Rocket Slime game, or the other 3DS titles we missed out on.

4. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I'm incredibly jealous of the new Amazon-exclusive New 3DS XL that just debuted. It's lime (Yoshi) green and comes with a free copy of Super Mario World.

If I didn't have one already, I'd have scooped this up in a heartbeat. I'm liking that color and I love SMW and don't own it for my 3DS.

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

A Super Mario Bros-branded "New" Nintendo 3DS is coming for $99, which is a first for a non-2DS model (note this is *not* an XL console based on the packaging). White & black versions will exist, there is no packaged software. Currently unknown if this is a special holiday deal or a broader release. Based on Polygon's report it will be first available on Black Friday.

Keep in mind the base 2DS is now priced down to $79.99. This is a very good deal if you want to replace your console or give one as a gift.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/7/13551550/nintendo-black-friday-3ds-deal-special-edition

6. MDawg

A new Nintendo Direct is coming Wednesday. The focus will be on Splatoon 2 and ARMS, but the 3DS is mentioned, so figure it's worth mentioning here.

7. MDawg

8. MDawg

There is a Pokemon-related Direct coming up tomorrow at 10AM ET/7AM PT. The timing seems rather odd since E3 starts this coming weekend, but I guess Nintendo wants to get this out of the way now to not have it buried in their presentation there maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  9. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Especially if this game is 3DS only, as Nintendo has done something similar in the past where they had a short Nintendo Direct before E3 that focused on the 3DS games while saving their big guns for the show itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon continues on the 3DS, I always have a better feeling for the next gen game to be for the next Nintendo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MDawg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I'm totally okay with this. I was skeptical of the Pokemon Stars rumor from day one. While I eventually started to be convinced that a third version of Pokemon Sun and Moon was real, I wasn't sure it would be on the Switch.

I prefer Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon on 3DS so the Switch's first mainline title is a new game and not an enhanced port.

Pokemon Gold and Silver as Virtual Console titles are pretty cool, but I hope Crystal is released as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While I was worried that the games would be on the Switch, I thought that the chances were relatively low. I don't think that they would have wanted to put a main series game on a new system that has only been available for a few months. It seems too early for Pokemon to move to the Switch. Plus, it gives the 3DS some nice attention, which is good.

I forgot about the Stars rumor after the announcement hit. I was pretty skeptical about that as well. While Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon potentially sound like duel third version games, they could offer more new content than a Sun/Moon Switch port could. I like the idea of a single sequel game for Sun/Moon, but I didn't think that they'd put it on the Switch. They'd rather have a new generation on the Switch than a continuation of the seventh generation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I'll bet the Stars rumor came because, during the Game Boy Color era, Atlus released a game called "Robopon" (short for "Robot Ponkottsu") which was suspiciously like Pokémon in a number of ways, including having two versions: a "sun" version and a "star" version (which was never released in North America), and having 150 different Robopon (it was, of course, impossible to collect all of them because of just the one version). There was even a group called the "Elite 8" (as opposed to the Red and Green/Blue version's Elite 4). So with the newest Pokémon games having "sun" and "moon" versions, someone probably wondered if there would be a "star(s)" version as a way of coming full circle (or something like that), but that's just my take on it...

15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Played Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. It's good...if you liked Shadow Dragon (the 1st one repolished for DS) fine or cut your teeth on the first one released in English. It's not that I didn't like it, but for all the upgrades it's still a window into the past (Gaiden was the 2nd one in the series) and I couldn't help thinking about all the ways Fates was a stronger game on story, characters, mechanics, everything.

Speaking of mechanics, there are parts where the difficulty is basically manufactured. Lucky criticals, maps where where you're basically asked to handle a zerg rush, two critical boss fights where only every fourth battle deals damage and odds are most of your characters won't be able to tank it. Definitely a game where permadeath turned on will inevitably frustrate.

If you do play it, Clerics and Archers will save your life and the Lords should get all the stat buffs. And promote at the first opportunity. Trying to max stats in this game is a waste of time, experience gain is way too slow. What the game has to offer doesn't justify a long grind.

If they ever did major upgrade for Path of Radiance like this, it would be a contender for the best Fire Emblem game ever made.

Short version: Echoes is great for major fans, people that just want a good time with a Strategy RPG should just stick to messing around in Awakening + Fates.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #195 GWOtaku, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  16. MDawg

Bumping so the 3DS portion doesn't feel left out of E3 and there will likely be announcements for it as well.

Make sure to keep an eye on Nintendo's official E3 page for all the information in one place.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. MDawg

Nintendo delivers!

NEW METROID ON 3DS THIS YEAR!

It's a re-imagining of the Gameboy version of Metroid 2.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this announcement a lot. 2D Metroid always looked prettier to me than 3D Metroid, and this remake looks gorgeous. Metroid fans should be properly appeased for the time being (please? I can't take the whining anymore). Also, I noticed the Zero Suit during Samus' death animation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MDawg

Metroid will have amiibo support for the pre-existing Samus amiibo and also new game-specific amiibo are coming.

There is also a special edition of the game coming with best of Metroid compilation soundtrack.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MDawg

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions is coming to the 3DS on October 6 of this year. It's a remake of the original game along with a new mode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1