1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo 3DS - General Talkback Thread 2

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by defunctzombie, Feb 6, 2014.

1. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Last thread was bursting. New thread START!

From what I played on the Ocarina remake, the 3D wasn't that special. Reminded me of those tricks in kids books where you have to cross your eyes.

Can anyone testify whether or not the XL has an impact on 3D perception compared to the normal? Not sure I want to plunk down more cash just for a size increase.

2. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

The XL is better just for the screen size alone. I leave the 3D off, but I probably would have skipped the 3DS if they didn't have the size boost to make it just look better than that tiny little window they had before.

3. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I need to get an XL. I gave my 3DS away. I always end up giving my handhelds away for some reason or other.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Getting a blue Pokemon X/Y edition of a 3DS XL would be awesome, but it's quite too expensive for right now and my 3DS is still working fine as it is. I may try to get one in the future, but if my experience with the DS system was any indication, I'll probably keep a hold of my regular 3DS until it falls apart. Although, hopefully getting upset at a game hopefully won't be the cause of it this time around.

5. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

The first Nintendo Direct of the new topic is coming tomorrow.

That's an odd time for a North America-only Direct. They've previously done them earlier in the day before. Never this late.

6. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Maybe they want kids to see this after coming back from school?

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hopefully, they'll be able to give some kind of release date for the new Super Smash Bros. game.

8. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 Evil PLANS...

I'm waiting for more on SSBWiiU & 3DS
    Also Mario Kart 8 looks fun too

9. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

I'm mostly looking forward to a Kirby Triple Deluxe release date. I want to play that game so bad.

10. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I know that Nintendo has the best of intentions, and that they mean well overall, but I will be passing on both Steel Diver: Sub Wars, and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball. Now I already knew that they would be making a "free-to-play" game, but the fact is, there's simply no two ways about it: what Nintendo will be giving us is in both cases is little more than a glorified demo (although one of them actually calls itself a demo) that requires us to pay money in order to "unlock" the rest if the experience. In the case of Steel Diver: Sub Wars, it will be the remaining single player missions. For Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, it will be the other minigames (where we can "haggle" the price, but we all know that isn't the issue here). Also, spare me any "future of (portable/handheld/mobile) gaming" or similar responses. Especially where Nintendo is concerned, either something is free or it isn't, and while I have faith that Nintendo would never abuse this kind of release, simply put, free-to-play just isn't them.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

11. Shawn Hopkins

But it basically is a demo. It's not like there are energy meters and two currencies or any mobile evilness. Are you telling me you won't buy a game because it has a free demo? I'd much rather support this model than, say, a GLU Games or EA customer abuse model.

12. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

Welp, I got what I wanted from the Direct, less than 3 months for Kirby Triple Deluxe!

13. Mandouga

(Bolded for emphasis.)

I'm not buying them because they ARE demos in which you have to pay to "unlock" the full experience. In other words, until you pay, it's nothing more than a demo. It doesn't become an actual "game" until you pay to unlock everything else. Again, that just isn't them. It's true that Nintendo has released demos before, but they were always separate from the actual games you pay to actually get in the first place, plus they were always specifically listed as demos. This however, is totally different. These two games were made specifically as free-to-play games where these are the actual products that they are releasing, and not separate "preview" versions. Here, you're downloading the actual, complete games for free, but if you want to play any more of them beyond what you get for free, you have to pay. Again, they mean well, and I have faith that they wouldn't abuse this type of game (hence, no "customer abuse model"), but it's the principle of it. I would much rather either get a game for free, period, or pay money to get one; something I know Nintendo would really much rather they have everyone do. Like I also said, there are simply no two ways about it, especially where Nintendo is concerned.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

14. Shawn Hopkins

That's just how downloadable demos work now, at least with smaller games like this. You download the whole thing and then pay to unlock the non-demo portion.

I think you're getting hung up on semantics or purity or something here and missing the wider point and its impact. THIS is the kind of free-to-play model people should support. This lets you try a game and then buy more levels or buy more content if you like it. The alternative is what EA does, which is give you a "free" but also horribly broken unfun game that uses psychology to get people to push the pay button in the worst kind of Skinner box fashion.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was pretty surprised to see that they announced Pokemon Battle Trozei. I didn't think that they would announce any Pokemon game during the Nintendo Direct, so it was a nice surprise. Pokemon Trozei wasn't one of my favorite spin-off games. It was fun, but like with Pokemon Dash, its appeal ran out fairly quickly. It did have a storyline to go with it and while it wasn't great, it was enough to help make the appeal last longer than with Pokemon Dash. I did like the trailer for Pokemon Battle Trozei though. The graphics look nice and battling to befriend Pokemon sounds really fun. I'll probably get it since I get all of the Pokemon spin-off games on the handheld systems at least and it is at a good affordable price too.

16. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

I now know that Kirby Triple Deluxe comes out May 2nd. Better late than never, I guess.

Hope Nintendo makes awesome commercials for Yoshi's New Island and Kirby Triple Deluxe.

17. Mandouga

Okay Shawn, look. It's obvious that we're not going to agree on this. However, let me say this. I'm hoping that they don't start making free-to-play Mario or Zelda games. That would be the worst thing ever. I personally have faith that they won't, but I'm just saying.

18. Shawn Hopkins

Never say never. The gaming world is changing and that day is coming.

19. Beemo

Beemo Member

Right after Nintendo starts making games on tablets, which would defeat the purpose of Nintendo having their own system to begin with.

20. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Technically speaking, Nintendo already did the F2P thing with Wii Fit U.

I was a bit disappointed there was no mention of Layton Vs. Phoenix in the Direct. We know that one is coming, but we still don't have a date.