Nickelodeon Ratings Discussion

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Space Cadet, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/11/10/nickelodeon-investigating-its-mid-september-nielsen-ratings/110300/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+(TVbytheNumbers)

Wasn't sure where to post this specifically.

Interesting. Nick and More can provide more insight but, Nickelodeon has been trounced by the Disney Channel in certain demos, but Nick still does well overall. I believe Nick has fallen enough in K9-14 that CN has caught up a bit. I'm not sure this investigation will turn up anything suspicious though.

2. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator

It must be upsetting to Nickelodeon to continue to see ratings releases like this one from Disney Channel at The Futon Critic. Disney Channel says that is 21 weeks straight they've won over Nickelodeon among Kids 6-11 and Tweens 9-14. That goes back further than September 2011.

3. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Invincible

That's what happens when they just needlessly spam Spongebob pretty much 99% of the time.

4. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

While Nickelodeon has been suffering a big ratings slide this year (especailly with kids 6-11), they are only specifically concerned with a week (or so) in September where they say ratings were especially low and there’s no obvious reason why.

Take the three new episodes of SpongeBob that premiered on Friday nights at 8pm in September for example:

Sept. 16 at 8pm – 4.394 million total viewers
    Sept. 23 at 8pm – 2.648 million total viewers
    Sept. 30 at 8pm – 3.333 million total viewers

Notice the outlier? That’s the timeframe (around the week of 9/19-25) they’re concerned about.

5. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator

There was an event that may explain a Nickelodeon drop in that time frame: Saturday, September 24 was the Worldwide Day of Play, where Nickelodeon went dark for three hours. I know it was only for that short period, but older kids definitely knew that Nickelodeon wasn't going to be on the air for some time that day, so they watched Disney Channel instead or other shows.

Update: I was wrong about kids not returning that night, as Nickelodeon Saturday showed normal ratings outside the Worldwide Day of Play for 9/24, from TVbytheNumbers, Also, these are the Top 25 Cable ratings for the week ending September 18, also from TVbytheNumbers. There are many Nick shows in that one too.

6. Hail-the-Whale

Hail-the-Whale New Member

Could it have had something to do with that whole "Spongebob causes learning disabilities" story that was all over the news? I can't remember when it was exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was sometime in September. :confused:

7. Wi-fi Calcium

Wi-fi Calcium Active Member

http://www.nickandmore.com/2011/11/08/cable-ratings-october-24-30-2011/

Spongebob seems pretty normal in total viewers and in kids via cypnosis media. Kung Fu Panda may be helping them a bit. The drop is still present in Nick's live-action tween-coms. BTR only got 2.5 Million viewers. via cypnosis: Nick is still beating DC Total Day in K2-11 but not in K6-11 or K9-14
    http://www.nickandmore.com/2011/10/19/cable-ratings-october-10-16-2011/
    Heres is some ratings from a few weeks earlier showing Victorious hitting 3.3 million
    but as far as I know,it usually gets 4 Million+.

Kids aren't interested in Nick's tween-coms lately. From what we do know Disney premiered Jessie and that must have effected them. Nick hasn't had many good new shows that bring home the ratings bacon, for the exception of Kung Fu Panda. Disney, having a lot of off-channel promotion, just took those viewers like nothing and many of them decided to stay.

8. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator

9. MegaJ

MegaJ Like a spring breeze.

Maybe if they actual promoted something other their highest rated shows, they'll do better.

It's one of the most frustrating things about this network. They HAVE the variety of programming, but they choose not to really take advantage of it. And Disney has the advantage of a prime-time slot.

I think it's time they took a look at their schedule.

10. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Active Member

Having an 11 year-old sister turning 12 by the end of the month who use to watch Disney Channel and Nickelodeon evenly at one point and then for the past few months just obsessively watches anything on Disney Channel, I can vouch that at least much of that claim if not all of it is definitely true. Heck since at least A.N.T Farm permiered has my sister been more into that channel.

11. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

It doesn't help that there's ZERO consistancy in Nick's scheduling outside of Spongebob. Some weeks BTR and Victorious will air five nights a week; the next week they'll alternate days; the next week only or the other will get any real airtime or neither will be on the schedule at all.

Outside of the endless Spongebob airings, with a dash of iCarly tossed in whenever, it just feels like Nick's schedule has been put on the 'shuffle' setting and it's hard to really tell when BTR, Victorious, or any of the animated shows will be on.

And is it me just not seeing them, but what happened to Penguins and Tuff Puppy? I haven't seen either one on a weekday in quite a while.

12. Kool345

Kool345 Starting at 8/7c on ABC

I think Nielson will find nothing abnormal or wrong because yes Nickelodeon saw the largest drop out of the three main kids networks, but also, Disney Channel had quite a big increase, which most likely shows some of Nicks viewers went to Disney Channel.

13. nomoregroundhogs

nomoregroundhogs New Member

Back when I was part of Nickelodeon's target audience and watched the network quite frequently, I always remember it being a big deal when the new schedule was announced, usually in the fall. They always did have a tendency to change things up at the last minute, but generally back then you could at least count on the schedule remaining MOSTLY the same from day to day.

I rarely watch the network anymore outside of the occasional Fairly Oddparents episode, but I still follow the schedule, and just from doing that it really does seem that there is absolutely no consistency at all. The lineup changes every week if not more often, there is a supreme lack of variety in that all but the 2-3 most popular shows get little to no airtime, it's hard to know when premieres are going to be. Seriously, they can play multiple hour blocks of Spongebob if they want to, I just wish they were at the same times each day.

When Nick used to change the schedule around with no notice 10 years ago I would frequently change the channel. Maybe I was just a weird kid, but it seems to me that a little bit of consistency today couldn't hurt anything. Of course I'm no expert about any of this, but it kinda hurts for sentimental reasons to see Nick struggling when it seems like they have the solution right in front of them.

14. bleachj0j

bleachj0j Demon Slayer in training

Nick definitely has the programming to work. but they don't know how to use it well. Disney Channel does a lot better promoting than Nick does.Promote more of their shows and stop spamming spongebob all day. Give some more slots to other shows which could probably helped increase ratings for them. And like what was said be consistent.

15. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

After last week's SpongeBob & Kung Fu Panda premieres (and massive SpongeBob airings all over), it looks like they are going to be a bit more consistent this week - which is what a lot of you think might help. Wonder if it'll work.

Here's this week's schedule:

Monday-Friday
    7:00AM Max & Ruby
    7:30AM Max & Ruby
    8:00AM Dora the Explorer
    8:30AM Dora the Explorer
    9:00AM Bubble Guppies
    9:30AM Bubble Guppies
    10:00AM Dora the Explorer
    10:30AM Dora the Explorer
    11:00AM Team Umizoomi
    11:30AM Team Umizoomi
    12:00PM SpongeBob
    12:30PM SpongeBob
    1:00PM Kung Fu Panda (Mon/Wed/Fri) T.U.F.F. Puppy (Tue/Thu)
    1:30PM Penguins (Mon/Wed/Fri) Fairly OddParents (Tue/Thu)
    2:00PM SpongeBob
    2:30PM SpongeBob
    3:00PM Winx Club (New Episodes)
    3:30PM SpongeBob
    4:00PM iCarly (Mon/Wed/Fri) Big Time Rush (Tue/Thu)
    4:30PM iCarly (Mon/Wed/Fri) Big Time Rush (Tue/Thu)
    5:00PM SpongeBob
    5:30PM Kung Fu Panda
    6:00PM VICTORiOUS
    6:30PM VICTORiOUS
    7:00PM Family BrainSurge (New Episodes, Mon-Thu) SpongBob (Fri)
    7:30PM SpongeBob
    8:00PM SpongeBob
    8:30PM Kung Fu Panda (New on Fri)

Weekends are TBA right now (as it is every week).

(View day-by-day schedules for Nickelodeon at toonzone's schedules section.)

16. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator

Then how do you explain this tweet from Burgundy Ranger, posted today?:

17. Hail-the-Whale

Hail-the-Whale New Member

That new schedule looks much better. What I really like is the fact that no one show is on for longer than an hour at a time - one thing that bugged me about Nick's schedule in the past was that they've have the same show on for hours with nothing to break it up. Even though in this schedule they have lots of slots for the same shows, they are punctuated regularly. It's far more interesting.

18. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

All the schedules show is a one-hour block labeled "Power Rangers" (like always) with a (R) = repeat. That's the generic format, but being an hour block leads us to think it's the team-up special (which is 1 hour long).

99% of the time, Nickelodeon leaves weekend schedules generic (with "(R)") until Thursday or Friday of that week. Been that way for years now.

19. spidey4545

spidey4545 Fox Kids Historian

As others have already said, Nickelodeon needs to set a more concrete schedule like they did throughout the 1990's. Not only do shows not have set timeslots, but Nickelodeon itself doesn't: some days and some weeks Nickelodeon starts at 6 AM while it starts at 7 AM on others. The same is also true for when it ends and Nick@Nite begins - either 8 PM or 9 PM on weeknights. It's just too random, even the primetime slots constantly change. Kids have no clue when their favorite shows will air.

Also, they need to give some shows more support. Supah Ninjas almost never airs outside of its premiere slot on Saturdays. I missed the 2 part Ishina episode because of the October showstorm knocking out my power and it hasn't repeated. The BTR episode that week has however, though only once (Big Time Superheroes).

And for the record, since July 2010, SpongeBob has aired over 4,200 times and accounts for 32.4% of Nickelodeon's schedule up through tomorrow (not actual time % but program timeslots %; does not include Nick@Nite as being a part of Nick). That number does not include all the half-episodes that have aired as filler after movies and specials. iCarly accounts for about half of that at 16.66% and together, they both account for nearly 50% of all the programming that has aired on Nickelodeon for the past year and a half! Think of all the other shows that split the other 50%: Big Time Rush, Victorious, Supah Ninjas, The Penguins of Madagascar, T.U.F.F. Puppy, Planet Sheen, The Fairly OddParents, Kung Fu Panda, Fanboy and Chum Chum, BrainSurge, all of the preschool shows, etc...the list goes on. Case in point: Nickelodeon needs more variety.

20. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator

4200/165 = 25.45. That means, if it were to be evenly distributed, every Spongebob episode would have been shown 25 times on Nickelodeon! Now, it can't be evenly distributed, because of new Spongebob episode premieres. 1/3 of Nickelodeon's schedule is for Spongebob Squarepants, 1/6 for iCarly, and a show like Power Rangers Samurai gets one or two time slots per week on the channel.

Also, look at the latest Top 25 of cable from TVbytheNumbers, for November 7 to 13. Spongebob Squarepants is the only Nickelodeon show listed in it. However, it appears 8 times in that list.. Despite their Nielsen complaints, Nickelodeon still sent out a ratings release today, highlighting Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness, Kids 2-11 ratings, and total viewership ratings. Meanwhile, Disney Channel also sent out their own ratings release, highlighting Kids 6-11 and Tweens 9-14 ratings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.