1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nickelodeon Ratings Discussion, part 4

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Jacob, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob

Jacob Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

This thread is for discussion of Nickelodeon's ratings. I want to remind everybody to stay on topic... if you want to discuss and speculate about Nickelodeon's schedule, there is a separate thread for that. Apparently there is also a ratings thread in the Disney/Pixar forum to discuss Disney's ratings, so check that out if you're interested. I will re-post the ratings 411 again, as it's pretty helpful in understanding ratings terminology:

2. Jacob

Jacob Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

3. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see how Nicks premiere ratings hold up with the Olympics. The daily ratings will bounce back up eventually (every network looks a little down), but for the sake of their shows, I hope the Olympics don't hit their premieres. Interested to see how the live action and TMNT did.

4. Hail-the-Whale

5. rockorockorocko

Fantastic for TMNT - up almost 0.3M from last week and the highest premiere in season two. It also retained SBSP's numbers, so the higher SBSP, the higher TMNT will go. And man, this show scored HIGH with adults, which could be a good omen long term. KFP posted solid numbers as well showing it's still viable franchise. I really like the pairing and hope Nick continues to premiere the two together (15 episodes left for both shows after this week). Looks like the move will definitely benefit TMNT and Nick as long as they continue to promote episodes. Essentially, it gives Nick a second premiere block for Nicktoons and we know Saturday morning was pretty crowded.

TMNT doing well probably bodes well for the live action premieres as well. However although Disney has been down, that 2.7M by LaM could be due to the Olympics. There was 25.0M that watched the Olympics prime time on Saturday and 26.0M on Sunday. Hopefully SaC started night strong. Anything over 3.0M for SaC is a win IMO.

6. rockorockorocko

7. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Look again further, tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/02/11/nickelodeon-nabs-weekly-win-with-kids-and-total-viewers/236428/.
    It mentioned about SpongeBob, SjC (despite no new episode), TMNT were top 3 animated. SaC is top live action for last Sat. scored 2.7 million viewers and mentions the demos gain. Nothing mentioned for THH and TTM which will find out later this early evening in thefutoncritic.

8. Nick Fan 2.0

Nick Fan 2.0 Active Member

That's actually really good for TMNT. The drop from SBSP was virtually non-existant and 2.9M is the highest it's done since the finale in August. This just shows that, with promotion, TMNT is quite strong. Give it some repeats and a decent weekday slot and I guarantee TMNT will soar. It was averaging around 3.5M before its Friday move, and with the right treatment, it can be near that lever again. Also, it did HUGE with adults. Despite only scoring 2.9, it had a 0.7 with adults, which was even higher than SBSP. And SJC continues to be a dominant force, despite being on hiatus for more than 2 months. 2.9M and 2nd with K2-11. It's strange how it can do so well on weekends yet is underperforming on weekdays. Maybe it's because it only has 13 episodes and doesn't premiere very often. Also, check out the Saturday numbers (i can't link it for some reason). Nick dominated that entire day. SJC and RI pulled in 2.1M each in the 3PM hour, which for that slot is very high. Once again, RI is pulling in repeat numbers which match its premiere numbers, something I don't understand.

9. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Not that great for Sam & Cat, expect it to be even lower this week since Nick hasn't even released a promo for any of the live action's new episodes this weekend. I understand though both the Nick and Disney programs had to go up against the olympics.

Decent for TMNT, and that 0.7 adults ratings is crazy. It's K2-11 numbers were decent, but I think the K6-11 numbers weren't that good since Nick didn't even mention them in the PR.

10. Hail-the-Whale

Ratings - Saturday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: Olympic Winter Games Keep NBC on Top | TheFutonCritic.com

Hathaways - 2.559
    Thundermans - 2.364

Although Disney is still ahead with K6-11, this week it was by a +13% margin, which seems smaller than usual. In their PRs they always point out that Disney beat Nick in that demo by at least double digits (118 straight weeks and counting), so if Nick could reduce that margin to a single digit then at least they'd take that particular bragging right away.

I have to say, after following Nick's ratings these past few years it's very satisfying to finally see Disney's press releases get shorter and shorter.

11. rockorockorocko

TMNT numbers aren't decent. All things considered, a 2.9M is fantastic with no drop from a 2.9M SBSP that aired before. I'm sure the reason it's so high in adults and K2-11 is fathers who grew up on the 80s/90s TMNT now watching it with their kids. In any case, should promos continue for TMNT, I could see it cracking the 3.0M again. Especially when SBSP is over. Great showing SBSP, SJC and the rest of the animation this last weekend. SBSP, TMNT, SJC, FOP and RI was all over the ratings withslid weekend numbers.

Sucks for SaC back under 3.0M although a 2.7M against Olympic coverage isnt shabby at all. A lot of prime time shows on cable and broadcast were considerably down.

Still, Nicks wins in the overall ratings and K2-11 and K2-5. Nick had the top three animated shows (SBSP SJC, TMNT) and the top live action (SaC) for K2-11 and basically it's whole Nick Jr. block was the top six preschool shows. Fantastic start to 2014.

#12 rockorockorocko, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
  12. rockorockorocko

Those are actually solid numbers for THH and TTM. Although SaC dropped, the other two held steady. In fact, THH out scored IDDI and was only 100,000K less than LaM and AaA.

And I fully agree on your assessment. That gap in K6-11 is shrinking and Disney doesn't have as much to brag about anymore. I think it's safe to say live action on Nick has finally settled in.

#13 rockorockorocko, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
  13. NickDisneyCartoo

I agree about THH and TTM. They manage to keep steady. It could have been worse.

14. J21697

J21697 Active Member

I'm surprised at Nick's live action. Honestly expected both would dip under 2M. Still think either THH or TTM need to be placed after the KCA's so the ratings could grow even more. Also regarding the K6-11 gap, I too noticed that the gap was smaller when I read the Disney PR earlier.

Still excited for next week, with the new SB special, premiere of Breadwinners, new Sam & Cat, and the return of SJC, it could turn out to be a huge week for Nick, and for that week, Disney only has a new Jessie, DWAB, and Fish Hooks.

I'm also interested in seeing how the live action goes up against the olympics (again) especially TTM, and THH, both of which have no weekday slots.

15. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Cynopsis Media :: 02/12/14

Sam & Cat and The Haunted Hathaways were the #1 and #2 kids shows for the week in the K2-11 demo (I have no idea as to why Nick didn't mention THH in their PR, it was right behind Sam & Cat, did good in K2-11). Literally only 5 kids (K2-11) tuned out after the Sam & Cat airing. That's great.

Sam & Cat was REALLY close to beating Liv & Maddie in the K6-11 demo (1.169 vs 1.163)

The Haunted Hathaways also beat I Didn't Do It in the K6-11 demo, and was close to beating Austin & Ally (1.156 vs 1.151)

16. rockorockorocko

After seeing the demo list, the showing by THH and TTM are even more impressive. The three episodes that have premiered this year have been consistent and perhaps the shows aren't too dependent on SaC. Remember, even when SaC was at 3.2M and 3.4M in January, THH/TTM basically had the same ratings as this week when SaC only hit 2.7M with Olympics on. And I know this weekend Nick started late on advertising the premieres, there's the Olympics and DC is airing a GLC special against Nick on Saturday night (with the finale on Sunday), but I honestly think Nick's live action is now on par with DC. DC had nothing stand out this year from their old and new shows and the demos have shown THH/TTM are RIGHT there.

GMW could be that mega hit Disney is missing, but until then, Nicks not far behind. And the ONLY reason Disney will always have the edge in K6-11 is 80 percent of what they air is live action reruns. Just like how Nick will always have the edge in K2-11 because they focus on animation. But even this week showed that's not gonna keep the gap too large. Nick was only down by 13 percent. And the demos are pretty telling that Nick dominates the K2-11. Ya a bunch of SBSP, but we also see SaC, THH, and SJC on the lists. And none of the DC shows. Very promising. Anyway, we may see some gaudy GLC finale numbers, which will likely give DC a boost on Sunday, but the ball is back in Nicks court on Monday with SBSP and BW.

----

Regarding SJC and RI weekday numbers, they may not be the best, but both are basically putting up FOP numbers, which I think is the goal. And realistically they aren't great slots. The best weekday times are 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. for Nick and that's prime SBSP and SaC spots. What I'd like to see is Nick take out SBSP at 2:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. to air FOP, RI, BW, SJC, TMNT. And have SBSP air from 4:30 p.m. on.

17. Hail-the-Whale

18. rockorockorocko

Son of the Bronx: Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., NickToons, TeenNick and Nick at Nite ratings (February 3-9, 2014)

SBSP - 1.8, 1.8, 1.8, 1.8, 2.0
    FOP - 1.8, 1.5, 1.8, 1.6, 1.9
    RI - 1.7, 2.0, 1.8, 1.8, 1.4
    SJC - 1.6, 1.8, 1.7, 1.6, 1.6
    SBSP - 2.6, 2.3, 2.1, 2.1, 2.0

The strongest performer out of FOP, RI and SJC is looking to be RI. It gains off of FOP, and isn't next to SBSP. The SJC numbers are kinna low, but it doesn't affect SBSP from bumping up. RI is probably a better draw for the kids that are home during that time than SJC, which would like do better in later slots. But you don't wanna break the SBSP momentum, and you wanna give SaC a good lead in.

I think SaC, RI, SJC are safe in the lineup.

ATV is doing decently after SaC. Went 1.4, 1.8, 1.8. Still confused why it's on air over THH/TTM.

On the Nick Jr. end, wow, Wallkazam! is putting up numbers similar to Paw Patrol's first week.

19. rockorockorocko

Wow, I didn't realize how busy Nick is this Saturday-Monday. Ratings predictions:

RI - 2.5M
    PR (premiere) - 2.0M
    *RI is getting a SBSP lead today instead of TMNT, so I'm thinking it'll bump up. I could even see it going higher if SJC doesn't drop too much. Interested to see if the 12 p.m. slot for PR can increase ratings - along with it being closer to the rest of Nick's Saturday mornings premieres. Could be a better PR season ratings wise. Promotion has been light, but not bad for Nick standards.

SaC - 2.6M
    THH - 2.4M
    TTM - 2.3M
    *I'm being optimistic here. Can't see it going higher, but I can definitely see it dropping lower. Late start on advertising coming off of a down week from SaC. Add in the Winter Olympics and a GLC TV movie airing opposite the block during it's finale week - might not be pretty. But at least this is the final week of live action premieres and Nick can regroup come March. But the THH/TTM was steady last week despite SaC ratings dropping.

TMNT - 3.0M
    KFP - 2.4M
    *Hoping TMNT can bump over 3.0M based off SBSP numbers bumping up due to anticipation for the Monday premiere. TMNT should regularly hit 3.0M IMO. Plus ratings Increased on second Sunday premiere, which is encouraging.

SBSP - 4.5M
    BW - 3.8M
    *Well, you never know with SBSP. November's premiere hit 5.2M with basically two weeks of promotion. Monday's premiere has actually had almost THREE months if promotion if you count the sneak peaks that began in December during Nick's winter block. SBSP ratings have been high on weekends as well. I'm going lower just because that 5.2M is "too good to be true". But what else to do on a cold winter Monday holiday? Plus it avoids Winter Olympics by airing at 7 p.m. Very wise move by Nick. As for BW, same thing, Nick has promoted it for almost three months - and it hasn't been as intense as TTM advertising. I honestly feel like it'll be a hit with kids. Maybe not as much for adults like SJC, but there's something that works for BW IMO.

Can't wait for these ratings to come in. Although it's SADLY gonna be on delay because of the holiday. Ugh.

But then Nick has a weekend that'll likely be boosted by the Monday premieres with SJC/BW/PR/SaC/TMNT/KFP getting new episodes. Should be a VERY fun end to February. Most cable and broadcast networks are holding back on premieres this month due to the Olympics, but Nick is going full force. I FULLY expect next week to be a ratings blast for Nick and it's premieres.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.