1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Nickelodeon Ratings Discussion, part 3

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Jacob, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Those 7pm SaC airings show Nick shouldn't have moved it, for even more SB. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Anyway, even though I said Nick shouldn't renew EWW so they could create a tradition of one month events, they really messed up on not renewing this one. Like Rocko said, it had chance to grow, and the finale outranked nearly all of TTM's episodes (or all?? I don't have a list).

It could have also helped them out with the K6-11 demo, a demo they really need help in, and Spongebob just isn't enough.

Not smart of them to do that. Basically giving viewers to their competition, and judging by the comments on the CN board, not a lot of people are happy with the decision. The move takes place late March, so it's going to be interesting to see if the regularly scheduled programs Nick & Disney air in the 8pm slots increase.

#981 J21697, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
  2. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

I'm sure Nick would move SaC back to 7 p.m. if needed. If you look at the ratings, four of the five airings two weeks ago hit 2.6M and are all in a row. Maybe they felt TTM/THH weren't holding up, but I would have just given SaC a full hour Monday-Wednesday (seems like movies on Thursdays and marathons on Fridays are back). Oh well, at least it remains on schedule, as well as SJC/RI. It's nice to just see other shows on there. And it's been over a month now (I hope I don't jinx it).

I still wonder if Nick could somehow revive EWW or convince the team to start on a new season. The ratings and demos are very telling. I'd assume editing 40 episodes to 20 must've been a huge slap in the face to the EWW team, but J21697 is right, for whatever reason kids in the K6-11 demo seems to respond to the show no matter how low-budget, corny, or bad the acting is. Imagine if Nick gave the show a bigger budget. Anyway, I'd say there's a month window where Nick could still renew it, but it's a slim one.

3. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Nick's premiere for Ice Age on last Sat. scored 2.821 mill viewers which is still solid and good for movie night

4. Hail-the-Whale

Wallykazam! Premiere Scores Nickelodeon its Highest-Rated Premiere with Preschoolers in Almost 10 Years - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

5. Wi-fi Calcium

Wi-fi Calcium Active Member

So Wallykazam looks like their new breakout preschool show in the 1PM slot. That's good. The Rabbids Invasion reruns we see are also doing well. Glad to see that show picking up viewers.

6. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Surprising news: according to Thursday cable ratings from tvbythenumbers, Ice Age at 7PM scored almost 3.2 million viewers last night, which is higher than last Saturday's 8pm premiere that had 2.8 million viewers

7. rockorockorocko

Definitely seems like Nick Jr. has another hit in Wallykazam! The block may be underrated since it's Nick Jr., but since Paw Patrol premiered, it seems like Nick has been winning against Disney Jr. head to head and in the K2-5 demo. A revitalized Nick Jr. block helps the whole network really. Paw Patrol in particular has posted gaudy numbers and if Wallykazam! can post similar ratings, Nick Jr. is looking good. Factor in an already strong core group (Dora, BG, TUZ, PR) and two more coming (Blaze and the Monster Machines and Dora and Friends) - Nick Jr. may really hit some major streaks and make up for what they lost when Disney Jr. premiered and split morning viewership.

RI seems to really have a niche. Repeats continue to do well and the last premiere hit 2.5M - the highest since the third episode. I think the show is growing and will really pick up premiere numbers following Breadwinners instead of TMNT. Great investment for Nick to have renewed the show despite low premiere numbers.

And crazy for Ice Age to hit 3.2M on it's THIRD airing on Nick. Only goes to show Nick should continue to nab these kid movies. Ice Age came out in 2002 and it is still extremely viable. BTW, Nick will air Friday night this week, and Thursday/Friday night again in two weeks. Overkill, perhaps, but if it continues to perform, why not?

8. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Ice Age did fantastic, just like the other movies Nick has premiered the past year. Nick really needs to invest into more movies. I'm thinking of a movie block that could bridge between Nick and Nick at Nite at 8:00pm weeknights.

Full House is doing too well for Nick at Nite, so why should it leave? But IMO, I think 2 slots is enough for FH. Nick could be doing something important with the 8-10pm block instead of reruns of an 80's sitcom.

And it looks like the Nick Jr. block is back from its feet. Paw Patrol is already a hit, so let's see what Wallykazam! can bring up.

Rabbids Invasion reruns at 4PM are doing slightly better than the ones at 4:30PM. Sanjay and Craig just seems too edgier, which is why it's now at 4:30PM. SJC, RI and SaC on the lineup shows that diversity can hold up well on the weekdays. Now we just need TMNT, The Thundermans, The Haunted Hathaways and perhaps Kung Fu Panda (from what I've heard, KFP is one of Nicktoons' highest rated shows on the network, so why not), and it'll be a fantastic weekday lineup for Nick.

9. rockorockorocko

Now that Nick Jr. and Nickelodeon blocks seem to be rejuvenated and stable, Nick may want to shift focus to Nick at Nite. Honestly, the only viable shows on air are Full House, Friends and George Lopez. The other shows are all dead weight IMO and unfortunately SDR and IM don't do well on reruns either. Nick should try to nab new ones. Not sure what would be available though.

Would love to see Nick regularly have a movie night on Thursday or Friday nights.

Regarding the schedule, I'll always hold my breath. I think the ratings have proved RI, SJC, and SaC SHOULD be on the weekday schedule regularly, but you never know with Nick. It is encouraging Nick has now kept these three on for two months now and at least thru February from what the upcoming schedule looks like. TMNT DESERVES to be in their somewhere. Still confused why it's not. TTM/THH should rotate at 7:30 p.m. after SaC. KFP isn't gonna be renewed so it ain't getting more slots. TBH, I think Nick should air until 9 p.m. anyway, which would give live action two hours to work with.

10. Cartoon Ruler

There's a BUNCH of shows in the Viacom library that Nick at Nite could use: Futurama, Degrassi, Beavis & Butthead, etc. Even the older, edgier Nicktoons like Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life would work. But the best bet Nick at Nite could've gone for was The Simpsons. I could see that show pulling huge numbers for Nick at Nite if it weren't for FXX acquiring it.

I agree. I think from 3-5PM should be FOP-RI-SJC-TMNT (from lighter to darker). Sam & Cat should get a full hour at 7PM and The Haunted Hathaways and The Thundermans should each have enough episodes to get them their own slots at 8PM. As of Kung Fu Panda, I'm thinking of getting it an early timeslot, say around 7AM. Not at a viewable time.

But I think we're getting a bit off topic. Let's go back to ratings talk.

#991 Cartoon Ruler, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
  11. rockorockorocko

Son of the Bronx: Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., NickToons, TeenNick and Nick at Nite ratings (January 27-February 2, 2014)

Week breakdown - nothing out of the ordinary, but Nick put up some solid numbers last week. Nice to see MUCH more diversity in the Top 50. Last year it was basically all SBSP. Good for Nick.

EWW finishes averaging 2.2M viewers. MvA has one more episode, but it'll average 2.0M for the series. Not horrible, considering how bad FBaCC, RaM and TP were doing, and it's been very consistent on premiere numbers.

Weekday stretch:
    SBSP @ 3:00 p.m. - 2.4, 2.1, 2.4, 1.9, 1.9
    FOP @ 3:30 p.m. - 2.1, 2.0, 2.1. 1.8, 1.7
    RI @ 4:00 p.m. - 1.8, 1.8, 1.7, 1.9, 1.9
    SJC @ 4:30 p.m. 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0

Kind of weird numbers. Some days SJC and RI out perform FOP and SBSP. Great to see though because it shows that RI/SJC can remain on schedule without hurting the lineup. Unfortunately, Nick can't find anything to perform at 7:00 a.m. FOP was replaced with SBSP with more sub-1M performances.

#992 rockorockorocko, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
  12. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

nick at nite late night marathon seem to be doing solid especially for george lopez and friends, but Mr. cooper ratings weren't impressive, still gettin average of around 500,000 viewers, even though it's recently acquired. most of the mr. cooper shows are at bottom of list ratings. maybe it can stay at 6am for until around summer for a chance audience to grow. maybe it should be placed at 4am or 5am hour and maybe full house will be placed at 6am where it did well on the viewers at least 1 million. Also last sunday, there's a big drop of Kung Fu Panda that had 1.7 million viewers whereas TMNT had 2.6 million viewers. That's still rough although Kung Fu Panda is burning off episodes weekly.

#993 kanc, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
  13. J21697

J21697 Active Member

14. Cartoon Ruler

An interesting article. Nick was down in 2011-2012 because of the oversized live action (iCarly, Big Time Rush, Victorious, Fred: The Show, Bucket & Skinner, You Gotta See This!, How to Rock, Marvin Marvin, and True Jackson, V.P. say hi), the cast of the former three mention above getting older, the schedule being made up mostly of SpongeBob, the CGI craze and lack of promos between shows. Not to mention, the last minute schedule changes the network makes every day.

Since around summer 2012, the network started to improve. It rebranded itself, had high quality shows (The Legend of Korra, Sam & Cat, Sanjay & Craig, etc.), expose itself on mobile devices, giving its shows more chances, diversified it schedule, focus less on pop star sitcoms and gave more promos to its shows.

Nick is doing a great job than it has been in 2011. With the introduction of Breadwinners, among other upcoming Nicktoons, I feel we're entering a new era for Nick. Kinda like a new 90s era. And with the recent ratings drain from DC, Nick may have a chance to beat DC this winter or even better: this year.

15. rockorockorocko

Great read, thanks for the the find!

Interesting that BW got such an extensive article - three pages worth from the LA Times? That's kind of a big deal. In any case, it's refreshing to know that the ratings recovery is known and not just something Nick spins on it's PRs. I suppose the one thing the ratings collapse caused was Nick to look heavily into what will engage the current kids generation. I know shows like RI, SJC and BW has gotten A LOT of flack from nostalgic 90s fans, but I think it's what kids want now - huge wins for Nick. And LoK, TMNT, RI and SJC have all proven Nick is on the right track. We'll see if BW can add to the current lineup - which I really think will.

Another nice point, I've always felt Nick SHOULD be the perfect medium to CN (boys target) and Disney (girls target). In all seriousness, it's the only network that can pull off both targets IMO and Nick is has gone hard in making every bumper, ad, and program accessible to all kid demos as well as adults.

----

We'll have a better understanding come Tuesday what February "could" look like for Nick beginning with the return of it's live action and TMNT's second weekend out. This, of course, opposite of three Sunday Disney premieres. SaC/THH/TTM and LaM/IDDI/AaA seem pretty even. And from there, Nick's animation (SBSP/TMNT/SJC/RI/BW all new in two weeks) is what gives Nick a huge upper hand. Nick's animation already trumps CNs BIG time.

I wonder if the Olympics will suck ratings from Nick, although it only airs prime time and TMNT (2.7M), did pretty well the morning of the Super Bowl.

#996 rockorockorocko, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
  16. J21697

J21697 Active Member

- Few questions I have:

*How will Sam & Cat perform against the Olympics? We've seen that it can go over 3M against heavy Football competition, but then again, Football doesn't take place every 4 years like the Olympics.

*Will the Thundermans see an increase thanks to it airing after The Killer Tuna Jump?

*How will The Thundermans and Haunted Hathaways perform with barely any repeats?

*Will TMNT increase or decrease this week?

17. Jinbo71

Jinbo71 Member

18. J21697

J21697 Active Member

I don't follow Nick's sister net's ratings, but I do know Nickelodeon beats Disney in the K2-5, and K2-11 demos. Disney is ahead of Nickelodeon in the K6-11 & T9-14 demos.

Also you don't have to hate bringing up Disney's ratings, it's nice to analyze any competitor's ratings and compare it to Nick's.

19. Jinbo71

Jinbo71 Member

Even so, am I the only one who is bothered by the tone of the article? By how pro-Disney and anti-Nick it felt? Nick does get a lot of crud poured onto them, deserving or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.