Nickelodeon Ratings Discussion, part 3

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Jacob, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob

Jacob Moderator Moderator

This has been a pretty popular topic on the Nicktoons Forum with the last thread reaching 1,000 posts in less than nine months. Most of the discussion has been on-track lately, but just to remind everyone: stay on-topic, don't let this thread delve into too much Nick-bashing.

2. Wi-fi Calcium

Wi-fi Calcium Active Member

I was curious to see how kids networks were responding to the fall transition. I got these total day averages from Cypnosis Kids.
    Cynopsis Media :: 09/11/13

These correspond to the first week in September.
    K2-11: DSNY 2.8 NICK 2.5 TOON 1.4
    K6-11: DSNY 3.2 NICK 2.1 TOON 1.6
    K9-14: DSNY 2.5 NICK 1.3 TOON 1.2

These were from the third week of August
    K2-11: DSNY 3.3 NICK 3.0 TOON 1.6
    K6-11: DSNY 4.0 NICK 2.9 TOON 1.8
    K9-14: DSNY 3.2 NICK 1.9 TOON 1.4

Keep in mind Disney does not end unlike Nick and CN. CN does not have a preschool block. In general there were drops for all three networks. Nick is still the #2 kids network. They responded the worst but like I said in the other thread, I suspect it's because the big premieres still have to come.

3. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Yeah, I expect those demo #'s to increase due to the big three rapidly rolling out premieres over the next few days.

I'm really interested in seeing Korra's demo numbers. While it's not directly going up against that Jessie finale, it is its closest competitor, and those two premieres will really shape both networks' overall demo numbers for the week. The only thing Korra has against it, IMO, is tons of teens/adults, who are obviously out of Nick's target demographic, watch the series, and this really showed in its decreasing demo numbers last summer, but it's steady total viewership numbers.

4. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Active Member

Tuesday Cable Ratings: ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Rides to First Place + ‘Tosh.0′, ‘Rizzoli & Isles’, World Cup Qualifiers, ‘Amish Mafia’ & More - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

SBSP on Monday and Tuesday are up from last week. Perhaps everything is getting back on track, but with NFL and college football back in the swing, Nick will continue to lose some ratings through out the weekday, although I think weekend numbers should get a spike with kids back in school.

Promising to see SBSP a bit up, which hopefully will translate into a boost for this weekend's premieres... LoK, SJC, RI, MvA, PRM, DF, SaC, THH, WC, SDR, WaV, ATV... quite a lot this weekend!

I wouldn't worry so much about LoK not hitting the right demos. I don't think Nick is expecting it to - another reason there are no repeats of the show... and with SJC/RI/SaC/THH all back (and TMNT/FOP sooner or later), I'm sure these are the shows Nick is hoping will perform in the targeted demos.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013
  5. JusticeLeaguer

JusticeLeaguer Watchtower

I'm not sure how Nick qualifies as "responding the worst" when its K2-11 and K6-11 demo numbers fell the exact same amount as Disney's and their K9-14 demo only fell .6 points compared to Disney's .7 point fall.

Still though, it's obvious each of the networks were hit this past week. I'm thinking Nick's set of premieres this weekend should certainly help. Any guesses on Korra's performance tomorrow night?

6. LegoFan224

LegoFan224 Active Member

5.3 million viewers. It's on a better time slot, and had 15 months to get a bigger fan base.

7. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Regarding Korra...

Best case: Over 5M
    Worst case: Under 3.5M
    Likely case: 4.3M - 4.6M

8. rockorockorocko

A 5.3 is SUPER high for any Nick show right now and I don't think LoK is gonna beat out SBSP or Swindle or SaC's premiere numbers.

TMNT did not premiere particularly high at 7p.m. Friday nights. Nick's ratings have been down the last two weeks. LoK has been off air for ovre a year. And let's not forget Disney has a set of premieres that air an hour later, but could still detract viewers from LoK. I'm always on the conservative side, so I'll go with the following:

Best case: Over 3.8M
    Worst case: Under 3.0M
    Likely case: 3.2-3.4M

For the rest of Nick:
    SJC - 3.1
    RI - 2.4
    MvA - 2.1
    SaC - 2.9
    THH - 2.4

9. Nick Fan 2.0

Nick Fan 2.0 New Member

IMO Korra will score between 3.8 and 4.4 million viewers. I would shoot a bit higher but with the recent low weekday ratings and the 15 month hiatus, it will be brought down a bit. Nonetheless, it will be well over 3 million no doubt which is great for any show on Nick. I believe Sanjay and Craig will continue to do well. The repeats have managed to stay in the 2.4-2.6 range despite the two month hiatus. It will likely premiere at around 3.1 million viewers, but could go slightly higher or lower depending on its SBSP lead-in. Rabbids, which should be getting a SjC lead-in instead of a TMNT repeat, I predict 2.5 million viewers. I believe SaC will get a slight boost from the Fall season and I think will be above 3 million. THH will be around 2.6 million viewers.

10. Wi-fi Calcium

Wi-fi Calcium Active Member

My guess - 3.5 Million. The show has done well before. Although it's not on Saturdays, weekday numbers have been okay and Nick's in a better condition now than a year ago.

11. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

12. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy Moderator

That is serious cause for concern. It's about a 28% erosion from a less-than-hoped-for 1.607M for the Megaforce premiere at 1:00.

I keep flipping between Nick trying to establish 1-2pm as a legitimate extention of the prime Saturday morning kids viewing window (remember how the Cynopsis:Kids ratings stopped at 1:00) -- OR -- if they see 1:00 as the wastelands where required-by-contract shows are exiled.

13. rockorockorocko

i wouldn't worry too much. Ratings for Nick overall were super down this week, plus ratings seem to have been up this week. Plus, all of Nick's "top-tier" shows, so hopefully combination of both will boost PRM and DF. Don't forget PRM premiered at 1.3 pr 1.5, another week went over 2m.

14. JusticeLeaguer

JusticeLeaguer Watchtower

Yeah PR and DF's ratings aren't great but I'm more interested in seeing how they perform long-term.

15. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Korra is currently number #3 and #4 on ALL of iTunes (right under Breaking Bad) could be a good sign ratings wise. I know online sales don't = viewership totals, but all we know is the message definitely got out that Korra was returning, and I'm hoping for some great numbers Tuesday.

Korra is also #1 and #2 on the kids charts, and it is #1 on the TV Seasons chart with kids, beating Teen Beach Movie.

16. rockorockorocko

Ratings for Korra will be out by Monday, since it aired Friday. The only chance of it not airing is if it didn't do well in the demos that TVbytheNumbers uses, which is highly unlikely considering the strong adult fan base.

Breaking Bad has great premiere ratings, so it is a good sign for LoK. The iTunes chart does give "a little" insight on how shows premiered. Even though its a head of TBM, that's been out for over a month, unless that chart tracks the initial online sales ?

17. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

All things considered, Digimon got over 1 million which is pretty good. And it was only around 100,000 shy of beating Pokemon on CN last Saturday.

18. Nick Fan 2.0

Nick Fan 2.0 New Member

I believe this is a very good sign for LoK. The only thing standing between Korra and great ratings was people not getting the message of Korra's return due to the long hiatus. This shows people have not forgotten about the show. Also, if we look back to the summer, generally the better SaC did on the iTunes chart, it did in the ratings. I believe Korra scored 4 million+ on Friday.

19. rockorockorocko

Just to give some perspective on how the other shows in the top 10 of the iTunes chart did in the ratings:

1. Sons of Anarchy - 5.87M
    2. Breaking Bad - 5.11M
    3. The Legend of Korra - ?
    4. Suits - 2.95M
    5. The Legend of Korra -?
    6. Breaking Bad - 4.41M
    7. Breaking Bad - 5.92M
    8. Burn Notice - 4.97M
    9. Breaking Bad - 4.85M
    10. America's Next Top Model - 1.15M

So there's a bit of range, but if there's any indication given by the iTunes chart and the actual ratings of the other shows that are in the Top10, LoK most likely scored over 3M, there's a good chance for over 3.5M, and a slight chance it hit 4M. Guess we will see come tomorrow.

LoK was trending all over social media for quite some time Friday night and there has been a lot of hype on the net since the trailer and premiere day was released thru Comic Con. Should LoK do as well as projected, I expect Nick to immediately announce the TMNT Season 2 premiere date and that it'll follow LoK. That's a HUGE lead in for TMNT, which is a success in its own right and could retain a good chunk of the viewers IMO.

20. Nick Fan 2.0

Nick Fan 2.0 New Member

Another thing I'm interested in seeing is how well the TMNT repeat after Korra did. I'm sure Nick is waiting to see how well TMNT can do alongside Korra before making an official announcement of the pairing. How well TMNT did greatly depends on how well Korra did. I'm going to slightly lower my expectations for Korra to 3.8 million viewers so I don't end up disappointed. Though I still believe it will do anywhere for 3.8-4.5 million viewers. If Korra does do over 4 million TMNT should be able to score at least around 3 million, which will give TMNT a huge boost heading into Season 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.