1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Nickelodeon Ratings Discussion, Part 2

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Bryan, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

With the last thread reaching over 1,000 replies, now was as good a time as any to launch a fresh new thread.

Please remember: This thread is for discussing Nickelodeon’s ratings. The last thread got off-topic often with general “what Nick’s doing wrong” posts (that had little to say about ratings) and various bashing of Nickelodeon’s administration. That’s not going to fly in this thread.

A quick ratings 411:

There are different kinds of ratings that are measured and reported. There are viewers and there are demo ratings. Viewers are usually in decimal format, which is representative of millions (e.g. 1.234 million viewers = 1,234,000). A demo rating of a 1.2 is NOT the same thing. First, it depends on what that demo is. A 1.2 demo in Adults 18-49 is far different than a 1.2 demo in Kids 2-11. See TVbytheNumbers.com’s What is a Rating and Who is It Dating for 2012-13 for what a 1.0 demo is equal to in viewers (for that demo).

Lastly…

Ratings are fun to look at and discuss to a point (there are entire websites dedicated to it) but at some point you do have to realize they are just one set of data networks use to make part of their programming decisions. Just one part. We’re not looking at all the data (every demo breakdown, examining year-over-year stats, competition comparison, production costs, an actor’s contract negotiations, etc.) that the networks do, so every opinion we have is only half (or less) the available information.

Good ratings resources:
    - TV Ratings, TV Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com
    - Ratings | TheFutonCritic.com - The Web's Best Television Resource
    - Son of the Bronx: Nickelodeon

2. Hail-the-Whale

3. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

Nick pulled next week's KFP's Tues-Friday premieres and moved them Saturday and Sunday back-to-back 11:30 a.m. and 12 p.m. Not necessarily a bad thing, as KFP will do better in the ratings instead of weekdays at 4 p.m. But next Saturday is a week plus away. And we know Nick...

Something I wanted to continue from the previous thread, so Power Rangers Megaforce is set to premiere February 2, 2013. Just two weeks away, and no promos for the franchise's 20th season. I'm pleased Nick showed improvements with advertising in Marvin, Marvin, Wendell and Vinnie, Supah Ninjas and House of Anubis' a month before their premieres, but if Nick doesn't put anything on the table for Megaforce... Pathetic.

----

So we got TMNT's new episodes starting Friday Jan. 25, Power Rangers Megaforce on Saturday, Feb. 2, and Supah Ninjas on Saturday, Feb. 9. I'm assuming See Dad Run will return when Wendell and Vinnie premieres as well.

I'm thinking we'll see advertising/promotions with set premiere dates for Power Rangers Megaforce, Supah Ninjas, and "maybe" a teaser of Legend of Korra when Nick premieres the Avatar: The Last Airbender, next Monday night. If not, extremely sad, but crossing fingers.

And food for thought, since Nick is premiering the Avatar movie, why didn't they run a day-long or weekend-long marathons of Avatar and Legend of Korra? Would've been a perfect time to tap into the cartoon franchise...

4. MegaJ

MegaJ Like a spring breeze.

I'm starting to think Nickelodeon just has some sort of toy sales deal with Saban, which is why they keep the show on the main channel and aren't worried about the ratings or promos. I was positive that Power Rangers Megaforce would be a Nicktoons exclusive after the treatment Samurai got.
    Well...at least they rescheduled them. I suppose 4pm wasn't a good time at all, I think a lot of kids are still kinda getting back home from school. I think for Nickelodeon, the real crunch time for ratings is around 5pm.

5. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

And here's some more bad news...

Today's TMNT repeat just got pulled for another encore of...SpongeBob. Reruns have also been pulled from tomorrow and ongoing. So now starting next week, you have SpongeBob and FOP again. Pathetic, Nick. You had the potential of having variety on the weekday lineup, yet you spam every good thing with SpongeBob. Way to go...

6. Nick Fan 2.0

Nick Fan 2.0 Active Member

I'm still not sure why Nick wants to put that disgrace to Avatar on TV. If it bombed in theaters why would it do good on TV. Well, as much as hate it, I'm NOT missing a possible Korra promo. Oh, and good news, new SpongeBob episode of Nick this SatAM at 10:30. Suprised at the last minute schedule change ( I mean..IT'S SpongeBob) and the lack of promotion but whatever. As for Kung Fu Panda, I new it's ratings weren't gonna be good at 4. FOP and SpongeBob can't even do that well then. Oh, and Nick really needs to cash in on TMNT. Reruns are beginning to get to SpongeBob-level high. 3.1 million viewers is higher than any FOP rerun. As for TMNT's Friday premiere, I'm not sure why it was put there. Because the episode afterwards is listed for Feb 2, which is a Saturday. Then new ones are supposed to continue airing SatAMs. Maybe it's a new random premiere night..I dunno.

7. Alec

Alec Webmaster, DC/DXD Fan

I wouldn't say The Last Airbender bombed in theaters when It actually did really well. It wasn't until after the movie came out people hated it. At least Nick is airing the movie I mean the original show and Korra is on the Channel so why not air it. I'm kind of glad they're not putting a marathon before the movie. I don't want to see a great cartoon then a crappy movie version after it. Nick usually never airs movies on the channel. I would like them to air "A Series of Unfortunate Events" on the channel but that probably won't happen.

8. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Member

Well so much for Nick coming out swinging to start the year.Nick needs to have everything go exactly to plan or they back down.It took Nick 2 days of their KFP premire block not getting the ratings they needed for them to nip the idea in the bud.While it's clear that KFP wasn't going to get the ratings it gets on weekends with 4 pm premeres at first the ratings would have improved from the promotion and it being on the same time day in and day out for a few weeks.This not only would have given the show a much larger repeat count very quickly so it eat some of Spongebobs timeslots but spiked intrest in the show so the repeats and the tailend of Season 2 and Season 3 would have had a signifigant bump in ratings.Despite gutting next weeks premiers we still have 2 left this week so time will tell how much of an impact this block had.It'll be interesting to see how this affects the 4 KFP premiers next weekend If it does at all.Ultimatly while the ratings for the first two days were dissapointing Nick should have stuck the rest of the weekout before deciding to pull the plug we might be pleasently suprised the next few days ratings improve as fans get used to the block.

TMNT getting brilliant ratings for repeats is a plus.With the exception of Spongebob and FOP these types of numbers for repeats being achieved consistently are uheard of.Since TMNT is having this repeat sucess with only 12 episodes WHY AREN'T THEY REPEATING LOK a show with superior premiere ratings a large fanbase and the same exact number of episodes.I'm sure LoK would score just as good if not better repeat ratings and due to the shows hugh budget the network should be dancingat the prospect of making such a large amount of money by showing the same episode over and over again.Also it now appears the dream of a Lok,TMNT action block has died.Both show have 14 episode backlogs leading to speculation but it now appers the TMNT hiatus is coming to an end and so is the chance of the deadly duo of Lok and TMNT.I don't believe Lok will start up again until the spring after it recieves some momentum from the dvd release and by then HOPEFULLY repeats and promotion fit for a show that averaged more than even Sponebob premierewise in 2012(I can't confirm this but looking over the numbers I'm think this is true if I'm wrong please enlighten me).

9. rkofan87

rkofan87 Member

when is the avatar movie set to air?

10. JusticeLeaguer

JusticeLeaguer Watchtower

11. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

Nick needs to be more proactive with TMNT, yeah. The big indicator was the toys virtually selling out around Christmas (we're just now starting to get some stuff trickling in, but the TMNT sections still look anemic), so... why isn't Nick seizing the opportunity?

That said, it still baffles me that they'd premiere new episodes on Friday nights now, allegedly. You'd think with DC Nation back, they'd cobble together a block with TMNT and Korra to compete with them (considering Korra shares some of its fanbase with GLTAS and YJ; and there's a bit of a crossover between TMNT and GLTAS' fanbases since some started watching the former when the latter was on hiatus), at least.

12. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy

The way Nick treats PR shows, at least to me, that they have NO commercial/toys/financial commitment/investment with Saban. They'd promote it much more aggressively if they did, if only to stuff their own coffers. Nick's deal with Saban appears to be nothing more than a 'we'll show it on our channel' arrangement.

13. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

Agreed- a more proactive approach toward the programs would benefit Nick, especially when it comes to competing with action animation programming on Cartoon Network, Saturday mornings. Why not schedule Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles along with The Legend of Korra, Winx Club and Power Rangers Megaforce, which debuts, next month, to run, between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. on Saturdays- that would be good for competition and furtherly increase the value of Kids Saturday TV viewing. That's something Nick should consider.

14. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Actually, since Nick seems to show almost no interest in non-original shows, the fact that they're showing it on their main channel at all leads me to believe that they actually do have some kind of investment. Otherwise, they'd remove it from the lineup completely, given the ratings it gets on Nick and the fact that it's not theirs. If they didn't, they'd probably keep it exclusive to Nicktoons, as they did with the successful DBZ Kai.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. Nick Fan 2.0

Well, Nick is now heavily promoting Saturday's new SpongeBob episode. It is (not suprisingly) being aired a marathon of pet-themed SpongeBob's called Best Of The Pets. Well, I can see this scoring around 4 million viewers. Whatever. What I'm really wondering is what is with TMNT's 1 night primetime premiere. I also don't understand why it's gonna be on at 7. Do they think TMNT can't beat Disney. Last I checked, TMNT's ratings beat every Disney show except maybe GLC.

16. MegaJ

MegaJ Like a spring breeze.

So, that's Wendell and Vinnie settled. February 17th, at 8:00pm. See Dad Run is after that. I think this will do a little better, but not by much. I don't think Nickelodeon's too concerned about the ratings, but trying to rebuild nick@nite. Though it would be helpful if you know, they actually advertised the block. I don't think any See Dad Run/Wendell and Vinnie promos saying "on nick@nite!" ever. Which makes it even more baffling that there's still a split between Nick and nick@nite. Especially when these new shows can easily fit on Nickelodeon. I don't think I even heard one curse word or overt sexual suggestion on See Dad Run yet.

I'm actually excited for the TMNT premieres on Fridays. This shows Nickelodeon wants to take back Friday night and is slowly testing it.

17. rkofan87

rkofan87 Member

thanks

18. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I disagree. I think the only reason Megaforce is airing premieres on Nickelodeon is that Saban probably insisted on it in the initial deal for Samurai. Nickelodeon probably feels its not worth it at this point to attempt to breach the contract, so PR stays on Nick. Also, answer this question then if Nick has an investment in PR: What show can Nick make more money from, Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers? The answer is obviously Ninja Turtles because Nickelodeon owns the property. They can make significantly more money from sales of Ninja Turtles merchandise than from a third party show like Power Rangers.

19. rkofan87

rkofan87 Member

i did but if i say it i will probably get banned

20. Nick Fan 2.0

I'm actually excited for the TMNT premieres on Fridays. This shows Nickelodeon wants to take back Friday night and is slowly testing it.[/QUOTE] Well, as much as I'd love that, I'm not sure what Nick is trying to do with Friday Night. After TMNT's Friday Jan 25 premiere, TMNT is scheduled right back for SatAM at 11:00. And nothing else is scheduled the next Friday, but with Nick's scheduling, who knows. I hope this ultimately leads to a Friday Night Nicktoons 2.0. Especially with Korra and FOP's new seasons coming up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.