Nickelodeon Advertising/Promotions Thread

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by rockorockorocko, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

Alrighty, so I know this is a topic that ends up on a lot of threads so I figure it deserves it's own.

What's pretty apparent this week is Nick is going all out promoting TMNT for Thursday's premiere as well as lightly promoting the FoP/TP hour. But I love that THH and SaC are still getting a lot of promos. Would be nice for both to finish their first runs on a high note - although this Saturday will be challenging. But that's where promos come in so good that Nick hasn't backed off despite sub 3 million premieres the last two weeks.

It'll be interesting to see what Nick promotes after this Saturday. Only Swindle and Rabbids have premieres left in August (I suppose the Bubble Guppies/PAW Patrol primetime premiere will get some outside of Nick Jr. too.). You can bet Swindle will have majority of the promos until September, but what I hope to see is Nick begin promoting the upcoming LoK/TMNT premieres as well as some kind of promotion for Nick's other shows returning in the Fall. But the LoK premiere is the MOST important thing coming up for Nick IMO.

2. Nick Fan 2.0

Nick Fan 2.0 Active Member

As I have said before, I am very impressed with Nick's promotion for TMNT's season finale. They have had 6 or 7 different promos which have aired dozens of times. They even switched back to the green turtle Nickelodeon logo they used for the premiere. There obviously gonna have a promo for TMNT's 2nd season though I hope they have a joint TMNT/Korra promo because Korra's premiere will be one the biggest events of this whole Fall season. SaC/THH have been promoted very well despite all of TMNT's promotion. And Swindle should be promoted full stop for the next 2 weeks

3. J21697

J21697 Active Member

I wonder if Nick is going to bring back the on air spots for "Gotta See Saturdays". I really hope they do bring it back. Plus, I wonder if Nick is going to show the comic con trailer on the network, or create their own promo.
    Nick has been promoting Swindle, and Rabbids lately, well.
    I also wonder if Nick is going to do a sort of "Sam & Cat returns with new episode this Fall!" They did it with BTR last summer, so I hope they do it this summer, so viewers don't think its canceled since it'll be off the channel for a long time.

4. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

Considering the GSS brand wasn't used since February, I think Nick is pretty much done with it.

It would be nice for Nick to promote their fall schedule around later this month: Friday nights (Korra/TMNT), Saturday mornings (SBSP/FOP/SJC/RI/BW) and Saturday nights (SaC/THH/TT). If Nick does this, it would win this fall.

5. rockorockorocko

I agree, seems like the GSS brand is done. But it hasn't really hurt Nick this year not having it. So whether or not Nick "brands" their new blocks, as long as they continue their fantastic advertising efforts things should be fine. I always felt it was a huge last ditch effort to save the network for the Fall season of 2012 - which it did.

CartoonLover, that's SUPERB lineup for Nick and instead of having to ad/promo shows these groupings could allow Nick to just promote the block, which would be much easier to manage with all of these shows in season. Add in movie Thursday nights that Nick could advertise lightly (Over The Hedge, Scooby Doo, Avatar, etc.), Nick would have fantastic blocks. Hopefully we will see some new ads/promos post Aug. 10 besides just Swindle and Rabbids. It wouldn't hurt to start prepping viewers on what's to come in the Fall.

FYI, I'm gonna be watching the TMNT finale closely ... one, because I love the series and two, because I am hoping for a LoK promo. It would be the opportune time right?

6. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

You know, rockorockorocko, I was considering Nick returns Winx Club and bring back the Monster High/Barbie specials this fall, also. That could be another programming block in mind...

7. Nick Fan 2.0

Nick Fan 2.0 Active Member

If Nick is going to start airing LoK promos at any time, TMNT's finale is the best choice. TMNT will score good numbers and a months promos in advance would work wonders for LoK and TMNT. As for the fall schedule, Nick will likely wait till Swindle to start promoting their fall lineup.

8. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Hopefully Nick moves all their Saturday morning shows to prime time, because putting shows on Saturday morning is silly, when you have air time from 6 AM - 9PM

9. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

There is no better example of promotional polar opposites on Nickelodeon than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers Megaforce IMO. The two shows are marketed towards the same audience, yet one obviously has a huge promotional advantage, and it's clearly not the Power Rangers. Saban Brands, Bandai, and others are promoting the 20th anniversary of PR this month, and already hyping up Super Megaforce, but Nickelodeon won't be, not with Paramount's own TMNT movie out next June, where they could make make even more money off that. And it really does come down to simply who is making more off merchandise sales as to why such a large discrepancy exists between the two shows.

10. rockorockorocko

Gosh, still no LoK promo. The only other time I could see Nick beginning to air the LoK promo is during the Swindle premiere. But that's Aug. 24... quite awhile away.

11. JusticeLeaguer

JusticeLeaguer Watchtower

Yeah I was slightly disappointed in the ads during the TMNT finale as well. They had ones for Swindle, Rabbids and Hathaways which was good but not a single one for Sam & Cat (which felt super odd to me) or Korra (although I can understand why they didn't with that one). The TMNT season 2 promo at the end was nice but still.

12. rockorockorocko

It's gonna come at some point soon though. Maybe they want to advertise LoK with an actual date and the ratings for the TMNT finale on Thursday will probably factor when TMNT/LoK will premiere in the Fall. Yes, very odd that SaC got no promos, but they probably felt it was established enough.

13. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy

This thread is the PERFECT example of the problems Power Rangers has being on Nick. All this talk about what needs to be promoted and how, and the only mention of PR comes from the poster who has a long-term interest in the show (Tommy).

Nick doesn't have a single dollar invested in the PR brand. All the merchandise profits go to other places. So, Nick doesn't care.

To the rest of the bunch, it's as if the show doesn't even exist. Nick clearly plays favorites, depending on whether the show is a Nick-owned (whole or partially) brand. The rest are treated like the red-headed stepchildren of the family. And it shows in most Nick threads in this section of the forum.

It's the big glowing orange 'Wizard of Nick' head telling us to "pay no attention to that show on the other side of the ratings-window curtain"

14. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Has anyone noticed Nick has been promoting Swindle on Nick at Nite? It seems as if they are beginning to promote original programming on the block. They've also promoted Hathaways on the block just a few days ago.

15. rockorockorocko

To be fair, when PR was premiering weekly earlier this year, it was very much part of the scheduling and ratings discussion. Some posters still group it with TMNT and LoK for premieres. But you're right, discussion comes and goes based on Nick's handling.

16. Kuromi_Star

Kuromi_Star Neko mimi mode

Makes sense. They often promote the failed attempts at animation on NaN on Nick, and NaN is technically "family friendly" and not strictly adult. So there is probably a good chance that a 15 year old watching Friends would get curious about Swindle if you promote it.

Speaking of Swindle, Ariana Grande's album is coming out at the end of the month. I wonder if Nick will do any cross promo with her? It seems unlikely as they aren't releasing her album and it isn't the usual tween pop Nick stars tend to release but who knows.

17. J21697

J21697 Active Member

They likely wont. She isn't signed to their music division, and they wouldn't benefit from any of the promotion they do for her music.

18. rockorockorocko

Now that the SaC/THH premieres for August are done, I would assume everything shifts to Swindle. With a little sprinkle for Rabbids, and even lighter promos for SaC/THH and the September premiere for TMNT. Nick now has 14 days to give Swindle the best promotion and advertising it can to do well. I highly doubt it'll do nearly as well as TBM, but Nick can definitely make a statement with a top-tier cast like Swindle's. It'll be interesting to see what happens...

19. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Nickelodeon is now offering the pilot episodes of Sam & Cat, Haunted Hathaways, Sanjay & Craig, and Rabbids free of no charge, on iTunes. They even put a big banner promoting the no charge episodes on the "Television section" of iTunes, for those who don't understand, kids networks usually promote their shows, no matter the charge, on the kids section. The general television section is mostly used for the broadcast networks, or the other cable networks. Nonetheless, it's definitely going to give the shows more exposure.

They even put a discount on the overall price for the seasons.

By the way, why can't the thread just be called "Nickelodeon Marketing Discussion" :p

20. rockorockorocko

I haven't been able to watch TV recently, but just to confirm LoK has had promos airing on Nick right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.