1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[NEWS] R.I.P. Kids WB 1995-2008, Kids'WB.com Emerges April 2008

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Burgundy Ranger, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy

2. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Whoa. Wasn't expecting this.

I guess 4Kids isn't dead quite yet. They seem to be making a good profit off their block, so it makes sense that they'd try to expand.

But I do wonder what next year's lineup will be for the CW. The combination between 4Kids and Kids' WB! has yielded phenomenal results in the past, so it should be interesting to see how this turns out.

3. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Wow. After so many years, Kids WB is finally ending. What a sad day that will be.

And 4Kids taking over? Man, that's about the last thing I would've expected. I'm not really up on how all of this stuff works; is it really a good move to have 4Kids running 2 competing blocks?

4. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

But it appears that some of the current Kids' WB! shows might stay, which means the name might stay too.

5. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember Jeff saying that Kids WB should change their name since it's the CW now, but I don't think he expected this.:eek:

Wow, only 10 people working in the kids division. I wonder where some of the Kids WB shows will go to now.

6. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

With all likelihood it's a distinct possibility that Legion of SuperHeroes and the Batman may end up on Toonami.

But this is surprising.

7. Static

Static I put a shock to your system!

Wow, this is really sad, not to mention, a complete shock. The only cartoons I watch (besides Simpsons, Family Guy, and American Dad) are on Kids' WB, and every year, I look forward to coming back to Sat. Morning. Hard to believe it's all coming to an end. I loved the majority of what they put out over the years, and all of a sudden ... it's gone.

Really, really sad.

8. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

No kidding.

I thought Kids' WB was toast, but I at least thought that Cookie Jar would have first crack at anything since they're so close.

But 4Kids?!? That's . . . wow. Just when you thought they were dead, they're creeping back, not only on one network, but two.

Isn't that kind of illegal?

I mean, I know this is the last season of The Batman and Spectacular Spider-Man is going to be two seasons. But 4Kids?!?

Seriously?!?

9. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

I don't see how it would be. It's not like 4Kids will have a monopoly over the Saturday morning market. They'll still have plenty of competition from ABC Kids, not to mention Nick, Disney, and CN.

10. Rocketboy

Rocketboy It's party time

Kids WB was lacking for me in the last years, but when it was in it's golden age, man was it golden. I'll miss you Kids Wb, and all of your shows.

11. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

I know it's not a monopoly over the Saturday morning market, but it is a near monopoly of the Saturday morning BROADCAST market.

ABC Kids is essentially Disney Channel repeats, and kids are going to watch that.

KEWLopolis on CBS and qubo on NBC are nothing more than pseudoeducational tripe nobody's watching anyway.

So, that leaves 4KidsTV on Fox and now 4KidsTV with Kids' WB shows on The CW. Two nearly identical programming skeins with limited e/i programming. 4Kids is programming BOTH networks and will decide which one will benefit them more.

Picture this possible scenario.

4KidsTV on Fox airs a successful show they own outright. 4KidsTV on The CW airs another successful show that is produced by a third-party producer (let's say Sony) at the same time. Now, what's better for their bottom line, the show that benefits them and their employer directly or the show that benefits only their employer? It's a legitimate question that 4Kids and anyone involved with them will have to ask themselves. Would they base their decisions for business or professional reasons? How would they work with third-party companies?

That's why I'm questioning the whole deal.

Why 4Kids? I'd think a third-party like Cookie Jar or Nelvana would throw themselves at that opportunity. It could have been the only chance to see something like Being Ian, Class of the Titans, Ruby Gloom, or others in the US. Oh well.

12. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Hmm, yeah I see where you're coming from, Jeff. This'll be an interesting shift, to say the least.

13. Golgo13

Golgo13 Sup?

That's it! The era of original cartoons are over. Get ready for an overflow of anime and anime-like spin-offs.

14. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

4Kids? Taking over Kids WB? What exactly are they going to put on it? Endless repeats of Fighting Foodons?

15. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I wish I could say I didn't see it coming, but I found it bizarre the current economics could still support a traditional network Saturday Morning. The article explains the reasons why it doesn't.

Only ten? It had one foot in the grave already!

16. Zack

Zack stuff

Gee, Saturday morning now feels more dead than it has in the past few years.

17. Noelle

Noelle Quintessence!

awww, this is sad. :(

18. Freedom Fighter

Freedom Fighter Active Member

I agree with you as well, Jeff. I thought 4Kids was having trouble keeping a profit with one programming block... and now they're attempting two? Yes, we know the Saturday morning broadcast networks have been dying slowly for years now - maybe this is a sign that nobody else wants it? And that wouldn't surprise me - I mean the only two companies who might want in are the last two to drop from the races... Discovery Channel and their Discovery Kids block, and Nickelodeon with their Nick Jr. block. DK on NBC was a failure. Nick Jr. on CBS didn't do much better. And I'm pretty sure Nick doesn't want to compete with itself with regular Nick programming.

Unless they do a Disney Channel and bring their TeenNick shows to Saturday mornings - a contrast to Nicktoons on Saturday mornings on Nick.

And before we go 'hey, this easily gives 4Kids majority market,' remember that some affiliates dropped out immediately after 4Kids started programming for Fox's space - and many more have left over the years.

Truth be told, would CW be better off just dropping the block altogether and, like they did with the weekday block, let the affiliates program those four-to-five hours themselves? No... there isn't any upside either way.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the world of Saturday mornings of the late 2000's, where a 1.0 in Kids' 6-11 isn't an embarrassment if you're on the broadcast networks... that means you're breaking even.

19. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Man, 4kids is absolutely hilarious.

So many people think they're on their deathbed and they keep doing the unthinkable. I wonder how it'll work out for them, all I care is that TMNT keeps going and that's it.

20. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Uh, no.

First of all, the article says that the current shows may still air on the network. 4Kids will probably see how the ratings fare this season before they decide to continue with them.

Second, I'd hardly consider 4Kids immersed in anime. While it's true that they have dubbed many Japanese properties in the past, currently they are only producing TWO anime. Hardly enough to fill an entire block with.

Well, they are holding their own against ABC Kids and Kids' WB. I don't know how much profit they're getting out of it, but it must be somewhat satisfactory if they're going for a second block.