NEWS Nintendo to use Unified OS on their Next Gen Console and Handheld

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Scirel, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Scirel

Aug 11, 2003
    Always 2 steps ahead
    Nintendo's next console and mobile will be "like brothers" - GameSpot

I for one am overjoyed at this, in that I`ll be able to buy ONE nintendo console and take it with me wherever. Only problem is it'll probably take them ten years to release their old games on it for some reason and still find a way to charge $5 for NES games.
  2. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie Moderator

Jul 9, 2008
    Dream Land
    I don't read the article that way. It sounds more like them becoming something akin to steam, which means you'll have to buy something pretty high end and expensive to be able to carry around the high end (WiiU) games.
  3. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Newington, CT, USA
    I personally would like to clarify that this does not mean that their next system will actually use iOS or Android; they were simply naming those as examples of a "common" platform, which their next console and handheld will likely have. Nintendo games will always be on Nintendo systems, and I know that they'll keep it that way. just saying.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone
  4. Radiant

Radiant Foreverrrrr!

Jun 29, 2009
    The South :(
    I really want the handhelds and consoles to remain separate, because they are two different markets, of which different games are released. For the most part, console games are full experiences intended to be played for long spurts, while handheld games are often smaller than their console counterparts, and are meant to only be played for a short amount of time.

What would a merging even mean? Would all games shift one direction or the other? Sounds nightmarish, especially if they all shifted the handheld direction. I like my console Zeldas much better than handheld Zeldas.

The only thing I really see being beneficial (and can be done without making both into one console) is an unified eShop/Virtual Console, and I hope that's where this is going. Because the VC is pathetic right now... Blunt, I know, but it has to be said. One of the biggest issues of the VC is that they have to release each individual game on each individual console slowly each and every single time (and you have to pay for it again, too!). Wii's VC should have been a part of Wii U's VC from the very start. I'm sick and tired of hearing about the same darn NES and SNES titles being rereleased on each and every console. Get it straight, NIntendo!
  5. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT Moderator Reporter

Sep 12, 2002
    Seems a lot of people aren't even reading the translated investor meeting, so here's what it was said, along with my own speculation:

- For the next gen, Nintendo wants to have a unified OS that's akin to iOS or Android (hence the mention of those systems). This means you will be able to use/create a NNID for these systems and access all your purchases from either system whether they are new games or Virtual Console, similar at how you can do if you own an iPhone and an iPad.

- This does NOT mean that Nintendo will release one sole system that encompasses everything console and handheld (the title alone of the linked article shows they will still be releasing two systems, like always), nor that every game will be available on both upcoming systems. Nintendo will likely keep certain titles exclusive (like Pokémon on the handheld system), to make sure each system has unique value in regards to games. Stuff like Mario Kart will also get their own version for each system, most likely.

- In regards to Virtual Console, I'm willing to bet every title and system available on both Wii U and 3DS VC will be compatible with the upcoming systems right off the bat. You link your NNID and you download them, no charge. It's why I think they're releasing GBA and DS on Wii U, mostly to set up a big library and have NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBC/GBA/DS games all ready by the time the next gen systems hit.

- The unified OS will likely be so that Nintendo can fully unify everything using their recent NNID system and make porting between systems easier. The OS and architecture will be the same, but not necessarily the specs.

EDIT: Changed thread title to make it less misleading.
  6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator Moderator Reporter

Feb 21, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    What this basically means to me is that Nintendo wants to pursue its own version of Sony's Playstation Vita / PS3 and PS4 synergy, which is a fantastic thing because that's the smartest thing and the best thing for gamers that's been done in this industry since Nintendo introduced motion gaming with the Wii. Bring it. No doubt this will also mean a unified eShop, which is frankly something the Wii U and 3DS could desperately use right now. Buying titles separately for each system for $5 on the low end is not at all practical and they're leaving money on the table every day that so much of their illustrious library is not directly accessible on their consoles.
  7. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!" Moderator

Aug 4, 2004
    Katy, Texas, United State
    For stuff like Mario Kart, I assume that it will go like Smash Bros. is now, both versions will be built from the same engine and use most of the same assets, but the tracks will be different.

They'll save on production costs, but each new version would lose it's uniqueness.