News and Politics 2017 (General Political Discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Literally one of the only things I will ever agree with that worthless sack of orange crap. He thinks Scientology should lose its tax exempt status . I think they should go further and be federally investigated and stripped of any and all assets as a criminal organization, but there you go @wonderfly, something we can agree on. Unless of course you think a cult that was created as a moneymaking scam should be considered a religion.

#921 MDawg, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. MDawg

Oh and to further question @wonderfly's and the entire GOP's motives, remember Kevin Spacey? Information came out that he molested a 14-year old and within a week, he lost EVERYTHING to the point he is even being replaced in a movie coming out in mere weeks. Meanwhile yesterday Sean Hannity, being the utter pile of excrement that he is, and numerous other conservative trash are defending him and using the BIBLE to defend Moore's actions, saying it's cool for him to have sex with a kid and that she is at fault for leading him on.

3. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I actually didn't like how quickly Hollywood threw Kevin Spacey under the bus, though his checking himself into a sex addiction clinic doesn't help his case. But that seems to be what Hollywood people do when caught doing something - they go into "rehab". Part of me wonders if these actors/actresses do that just to avoid having to appear before cameras until the storm blows over.

Now Louis C.K. is being accused. Hollywood is in full blown "witchhunt" mode - I actually don't care for how this is spiraling out of control.

I don't like the "court of public opinion" - because it's often over-reactionary. I'm going to wait and see how well these allegations hold up against Roy Moore. I watched Hannity last night - he did say that if the allegations are true, then Moore should indeed step down. But we've seen this before, with the Duke Lacross players and the case of Richard Jewell (the guy falsely accused of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bombing) - both of whom were found "guilty" in the eyes of the media (and social media) just because they "looked the part". Roy Moore looks like what you want to believe about all Southerners who invoke God, MDawg. Doesn't mean he's guilty just because he fits your preconceived notions.

So no, I'm going to wait and see, and see if these allegations collapse, or see what happens. But I do know that voters don't care for "October surprises" anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MDawg

Louis CK was another of those Hollywood "dirty little secrets" that you hear about or is joked about by others. Same with Spacey, same with Weinstein, same with plenty of others. The "witchhunt" is just everyone realizing enough is enough and it's time to topple this house of cards held up by far too many lies. Would you want your kids molested by someone in power (or anyone at all) and then have accusations denied as false or fabricated for attention? I'm sure the answer to that is no.

Yes, there can be false accusations, but those are a lot more rare than the right, MRAs, etc would like you to believe. Anything to continue their narrative that the victim (especially if they are a woman) is to blame.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #924 MDawg, Nov 10, 2017
  5. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

So here's my two cents on the whole recent wave of sexual harassment allegations:

Today, Donald Trump issued a statement, effectively saying that if the allegations against Roy Moore are true, he should step aside. And, as much as I hate to say it, yeah, I pretty much agree with that sentiment (of course, all that nonsense from Jim Zeigler about the bible legitimizing Moore's actions, yeah, no, I don't agree with that at all).

The thing is, being accused of something and being guilty of something are not the same thing. In this country, we're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but as soon as accusations come out that someone in power has molested an innocent person, or that a cop has shot an unarmed man, or if anybody apparently legitimizes some perceived injustice, we all seem to forget that. And no, I'm not saying that all these allegations are false or that they were concocted for some hidden agenda or that Roy Moore, or Louis C.K., or Kevin Spacey, or Jeffrey Tambor (yes, he's in this now too) definitely didn't do it. Personally, I don't see what anyone would have to gain from falsely accusing celebrities of sexual harassment, so I suppose they probably did it, but isn't there also the possibility they didn't do anything wrong? In any case, that's not for me to decide. It's not for anyone here to decide. It's for the courts to decide.

I have no doubt that people in power have taken advantage of people weaker than them and, if they are guilty, they absolutely should be made to pay for their crimes. But all these attacks and condemnations of these people mere hours after the accusations have been announced...I just don't see what good it does. Me? I'm not sure how to feel. Even if Louis C.K. and Kevin Spacey are guilty, it's not going to change the fact that I watched all five seasons of Louie or that I watched American Beauty and very much enjoyed both. Now, if you want to show your support for the victims, that's fine. That's at least positive energy. But to gang up on these people you don't even know or witnessed doing these criminal acts and whose careers have already been tarnished by these allegations, well...something seems wrong about it to me.

To give a more a vivid example of what I'm talking about, see The Simpsons episode Homer Badman, or MrEnter's review of it.

#925 Nobodyman, Nov 10, 2017
  6. MDawg

Some light reading for @wonderfly and other so-called "Christians" in these troubling times.

This line especially really resonated with me at how far Christians are willing to take this "pact with evil" that they've embraced.
    It really is disheartening how easily the supposedly "moral" compromise their beliefs for a cheap political win without looking at the long-term ramifications on their immortal souls. Only the fiery pits of hell will await them on this path as they listen to the forked tongues of snakes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Rocket

Rocket New Member

People who goonrage about age differences in marriages/relationships are likely not participating in any to begin with.

8. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

It literally makes me feel terrible. People would rather vote for a straight up pedophile instead of a Democrat. They think we are worse than that. It's really hard not to take it personally.

Suffice it to say, my days of trying to reason with these monsters is over. Defending pedophiles is some REAL hardcore "economic anxiety" right there.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Haven't looked too deeply into the Kevin Spacey stuff. I'm not really a fan and it sort of flew beneath my radar. But I DID happen to read Louis CK's public "apology". And it was utter, self-serving crap.

I say this as a person who used to religiously watch Louie. But he somehow managed to bring up that the women he perved on admired him four times, and the words "I'm sorry" weren't to be found once in the statement. He even name-dropped his current projects as if this was a rebranding tour.

Louis CK's entire bit is "I'm a horrible human being and you should feel sorry for me because at least I'm honest about it." That's what this statement is. He's trying to salvage his career for a "second act" redemption arc a couple of years down the line. It is so freaking cynical, and I'm a little disgusted liberals are falling for it. Speaking as someone who isn't necessarily a liberal by the traditional definition, but someone who almost always lands on that side in political discussions, Louis CK's entire schtick involves him being a gross guy that woman don't love, and a progressive feminist at the same time. And I'm not buying it anymore.

He says he didn't know it was wrong. He's lying. Every man knows you don't do that in front of a woman. And if he didn't know that, he wouldn't have had his manager threaten their careers if they came forward, unless he did. Plus, be honest. Louis CK is actually legitimately smart. I do not buy his "Who could have known?" act for a second.

He's doing what he does in stand-up and trying to manipulate his audience into sympathizing with him. And I am not playing anymore. I am no longer a fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Jennifer Rubin smash!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...es-accusers/?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.35e476f67689

11. Rocket

Rocket New Member

And now George Takei has been outed as a sexual predator as well.

Ohhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyy

12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

A Russian spy is in charge of US Embassy Security.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...Putin-is-NOW-IN-CHARGE-of-US-EMBASSY-SECURITY

Edit: Looked more into the Takei stuff. The allegation seems credible to me. It's inconsistent with many victims in places (that sort of thing is NOT what a victim would remember as a funny story and tell a bunch of people) but if he DID tell it to four other people back in the day it's probably true.

Either way, the Howard Stern interview is totally gross and made me think a lot less of Takei whether the other accusation is true or not.

#932 Fone Bone, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  13. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

• Informative Informative x 1
    #933 Kindness King, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  14. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Why do you care so much about Hillary Clinton? She is not in office and is not running for anything ever again. Your obsession with her is getting a bit alarming.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Rocket

Rocket New Member

You really don't have a pinky toe to stand one in that regard Matt.

16. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Is this about our deleted conversation? Because there is a difference in acknowledging that Hillary Clinton is irrelevant to current politics, and saying current politics are not worth getting involved with or worrying about. A big difference. I'm not saying politics don't matter. I'm saying Hillary doesn't matter to politics. It's completely different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jean74

Jean74 Happy Thanksgiving

No matter who is the President whether Hilary or Trump, need to support them regardless. But still last year was beyond mean spirited.

18. MDawg

Sleazy pharmaceuticals executive announced as nominee for Health and Human Services secretary.

Yup, no conflict of interest there. Just good ol, honest, hard-working guy who doesn't have any sort of self-serving ties to the industry as he champions for the citizens of this fine country. I'm sure conservatives everywhere are happy with yet another industry elitist working to strip away any sort of nasty laws or regulations that would hamper the record-yielding profits from homespun, small-business pharmaceutical companies. Don't they deserve multiple billions more after all for doing so little for others? God would want it that way.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MDawg

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

You do realize that "wonderfly and other so-called 'Christians'" directly suggests that I am a "so-called" Christian? I could interpret that as impugning my character, and that's why I haven't responded before now...But I'm hoping you just misspoke and I did want to address this:

Last I checked, you were an atheist (though correct me if I'm wrong), and so I don't think the threat of fiery pits coming from you carries as much weight behind it. I take it you're just pointing out what you perceive as Christian hypocrisy. But when it comes to "compromising their beliefs for a cheap political win":

Again, my thoughts on this: Republican "grass root" voters (the ones that voted Trump into office) do not appreciate this being sprung on them with less than a month until the election, because at this point, Roy Moore can't be taken off the ballot. Better to vote for Moore and remove him from office later if needed (the Senate can vote to expel him). Then the voters could get a fresh election. Better this scenario then to hand over the power to a Democrat who will just join the chorus of obstructing Donald Trump.

So I still predict Roy Moore wins next month. And if he's guilty, it will be fixed. But Democrats and the media did this at this time just to get a Democrat elected to obstruct Trump. And the voters aren't going to stand for that.

• Like Like x 1
    #940 wonderfly, Nov 13, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 6:55 PM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.