News and Politics 2017 (General Political Discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

MOD NOTE: I deleted some posts in this thread that were either offtopic or disruptive. Let's "stick to the issues", so to speak.

2. wonderfly

Man, Democrats (or really, it's the media) are just going crazy, thinking "We did it, America's sick of Trump, the country is ours again!"

"5 Takeaways from the Democrats' Big Night."

Okay, so let's see, they won governor's races in New Jersey and Virginia (states that voted against Trump in 2016)....what else did they get? From that article: "The party won hotly contested mayoral races in Charlotte, North Carolina, and St. Petersburg, Florida. In Maine, voters approved a ballot measure to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act. "

[​IMG]

Really?!?! That's all you've got?!?

You guys are aware this isn't even a true election year - next year's the Midterm elections, for pity's sake!

Meanwhile, a Washington Post poll shows that 12 months later, if voters could vote again, it appears Trump would still win.

And Ed Gillespie (a former George W. Bush lackey) ran a campaign that started off trying to distance himself Trump. People saw through him back in the primary: He's just another Republican establishment candidate. And if there's one thing the voters are sick of, it's the establishment. He's been damaged goods for months now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

That definitely doesn't account for the Dems taking control of the Virginia started assembly for the first time in over 100 years. For our state I'd say that's a firm rejection of any GOP/orange nonsense and this is after they gerrymandered the hell out of the state to their in benefit. You can't ignore that one @wonderfly. The discounting and scoffing you're doing for local races is exactly the kind of egomaniacal thinking that will cost your beloved party next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

if an "establishment Republican" means someone who doesn't subscribe to a far right/xenophobic/regressive philosophy, give me an establishment Republican any day. That's what concerns me about these GOP congresspeople resigning recently: The candidates that will replace them will likely be far right crazies. Trump has created a monster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I don't want to look into this too much but it seems like 2016 was the last gasp for racist, regressive, short-sighted backwater America. Hopefully we can say goodbye to the 1950s in 2018 (a very apt quote I found on Twitter).

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with a word you said. I absolutely agree that it's wrong for civilians to own semi-automatics. I also understand the issues with the "good guy with a gun" narrative. Most times it does nothing. My point was that these issues are far more complicated than some people give them credit for. Look, I despise guns on principle. I really do. I hate the fact that they're a device that has no other means than to kill, and I despise the crazed, gun loving rhetoric I see from certain groups. But my point stands, and I think it stands to reason that there are people who are alive today purely because that guy in Texas had a gun and was able to stop the attack. I can't ignore that fact, just as we can't ignore that having multiple "good guys with guns" can make a situation worse. But I can't get this idea out of head: if My feelings on the issue are much more nuanced than my initial post may have made it seem.

@Red Arrow :D You missed my point.The point is that even if gun control prevents someone bad from getting a gun, there are countless illegal ways for someone to get one. My point is this: if someone is so evil and deprived that they are mentally capable of committing murder, then they are also mentally capable of ignoring gun laws and acquiring arms illegally. Does that mean nothing should be ? No. But the reality is that I have no idea what.

@wonderfly Its not that you’re wrong, but you’ve been claiming the Dems are headed for doom in 2018. I’m not saying they’re not, but I’m seeing nothing but negatives for the GOP last night. People claim Trump tweets are all important. Well he tweeted more than once about Virginia, but his supporters didn’t turn out for him. You can’t say Gillespie was separate from Trump when Trump repeatedly endorses him.

7. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

You're right. There people alive today who would be dead if not for free access to guns. But there are also people who are dead now who would be alive if we had stricter gun control laws. And it's a tricky subject to be sure, especially dealing with human lives. But, as much as I kinda hate to say it, it really does come down to numbers in this instance. Which option is going to save the most number of lives. And as much as I don't like to reduce human lives to simple lives, that probably is the best we can do in this scenario.

And no, that isn't always the deciding factor. If alcohol and tobacco were illegal, I'm sure there would be a lot of people who are dead now that would still be alive, but we need to allow people to have those freedoms. Sometimes people need to be able to do something even if it may not be the healthiest or safest thing for them, like drinking soda, or eating pizza, or driving a motorcycle, or going rock-climbing. But, at some point, we need look at ourselves and determine whether our freedoms are doing more harm than good. And that's pretty much what it's about is finding the right balance between freedom and restriction.

I've brought it up before that pretty much every other first-world country in the world has tighter gun controls than the US and enjoy comparatively lower gun-related homicides. To which I've been answered, "We're not Iceland or Australia or Norway or any other country. We're different. We're Americans (we're the special snowflake people). So gun control wouldn't work for us." To that I would say, I really, really, really don't think we are that different. When it comes down to it, regardless of race, religion, background, whatever, all humans are basically the same. We're all stuck in this infinitely vast and complex world that none of us have any hope of fully understanding and we're all just trying to find our own bit of happiness for whatever time we have in this world. And to that end, all human societies are basically the same. And, trust me, there isn't a single country on this planet that is immune from the world's problems. Immigration, poverty, crime, xenophobia, health issues, economic anxiety, every country deals with them. Some more or less so than others, but they all deal with them. And yes, as far as the US, some of the physical factors are different, like the population size, and demographics, and natural resources. But really, when it comes down it, the only real difference between us and other countries that have tighter gun control is our attitude. And as long as people continue to glorify guns or feel that its necessary to protect from criminals or the government or whatever bogeyman is out there, well...I guess it's not gonna change any time soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ItsSunshine

ItsSunshine Banned

We should treat the Islam as a important religion, if we do, they might end this carnage bullcrap.

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

You are half right (about me at least). I definitely think the country is sick of Trump and this was repudiation of him. Completely. But none of these wins were really national and will not effect the larger picture. I doubt 2018 will even do that, even if we won back Congress.

Dems' best hope is the Mueller investigation. And it is picking up steam and uncovering a ton of dirt. Trump is definitely a traitor to America and you guys have been embracing a hostile foreign power taking over our government. I don't want to hear any more about Democrats hating America. If we did, we'd vote Republican.
    Are you saying Ralph Northam was not an establishment candidate? Because that's crazytalk.

For the record, Gillespie had a legit shot at this election. Until he hitched himself to the Trump. It was him embracing Trump that did him in, not the other way around.

Edit: Also weren't you earlier telling us in this thread that Gillespie was going to win? You guys make my head spin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #909 Fone Bone, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  10. MDawg

No wonder the orange loves Alabama US Senate nominee/gigantic homophobe/subhuman garbage Roy Moore (Republican) so much, he too has a thing for underage girls.

Sooooooo much swamp draining going on here. All these deplorable traitors and pedophiles. Maybe that's what he meant all along about that nonsense phrase. Couldn't help but expose himself and his buddies. Time is running out now for all of them and there'll be a delightful noose in the future for some!

Edit: I'm shocked, but the Senate GOP is even asking him to step down. Who knew they could do something right? Guess the party only approves of one rapist hanging around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #910 MDawg, Nov 9, 2017
  11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I hope he doesn't step down. The election would be easier for Doug Jones if he didn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MDawg

Legally he wouldn't be able to. It's less than 76 days till the election, so a candidate can't be removed from the ballot. Best the GOP could do is a write-in campaign, but Jones just needs to put out an ad campaign reminding the people of Alabama that he is definitely not a GOP-approved pedophile like his competitor is and that he won't rape their daughters.

Basically the GOP shot themselves in the foot by not delving deeper into this trash's life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

For the record, I fully expect Moore to still win the election. Democrats disown, shame, and ruin the careers of our perverts. Republicans vote for theirs. We are the ones with true Christian values.
    I'm just surprised it's not little boys or farm animals.

Is it just me or has this been a bad week for Republicans?

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. MDawg

Yeah, @wonderfly and other cons have a field day over Anthony Weiner having some outside of marriage fun with another adult, but they definitely clam up and rally support around their kid touchers and rapists (Milo is gay, so they barely tolerated him to begin with). Nice to see all those good Christian values being taken to heart by them.

#914 MDawg, Nov 9, 2017
  15. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Uh uh. No excuse for Weiner. He texted dirty pictures to a teenage girl. He's a total scumbag and I would never vote for him.

See how easy that is, Wonderfly?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MDawg

Was it a teenage girl? I stand corrected. I thought it was all older women. Gross then. Don't do that.

17. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

She was 15. He's in jail now. Where he should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. wonderfly

So...much...distortion...and misinformation...

[​IMG]

Can't really talk right now.

But the phrase "oldest trick in the book" comes to mind when it comes to Democrat tactics before an election...

Does anyone know how many years ago 1979 was?!? And this comes out 1 month before the Alabama Senate election? Well, we saw how well the voters tolerated this smear-mongering in October of last year, before Trump won in November...

19. MDawg

And the article talked about that. They said the woman that Moore molested had no plans of coming forward ever.
    They also explain how they contacted the women and how the story has been corroborated by multiple sources.
    Not even a campaign donation or any interaction from any of trashbag Moore's opponents.
    This is about as bulletproof an amount of evidence as you can get. I'm sure thoughts and prayers on the right will be fine though.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

30 sources to be exact. The woman who was 14 at the time voted for Trump, so you can't even call it a political hit job.

What will it take for you to denounce things like this, wonderfly? When did tolerating sexual assault become a partisan team sport? Where are your vaunted Christian values? Because from where I sit, they are nonexistent.

• Winner Winner x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.