1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

News and Politics 2013 (General Political Discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

2. wonderfly

This webpage here has a great review of the top news stories of 2013 (just click on the slides to go through the slideshow).

So what do you feel were the biggest news stories of 2013?!?

My Top 5 would be:

1. The Boston Marathon bombing (terrorism returns to the U.S.)
    2. The U.S. government shutdown (first time it's occurred since Clinton and Newt Gingrich were in office).
    3. The Supreme Court rules on gay marriage (a sign of the times).
    4. 3 women found alive after a decade of being held hostage in Ariel Castro's house of horrors (a story of tragedy and triumph).
    5. The conclusion of the George Zimmerman trial (a story of race relations in America - 2013).

3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Seriously? No NSA mass surveillance scandal in your list? That's something which affects you much more than some gay guys you don't even know tying the knot.

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Culture stories can be a big deal too though. It was a breakthrough year for the movement after the DOMA ruling. Also, look at things this way...the rise of Pope Francis and, for the time being anyway, the troubled rollout of Obamacare are things that don't directly affect me. A cure for cancer being discovered tomorrow wouldn't affect me. Doesn't mean I'll say they aren't important!

My list would be a bit different, but I gotta get my stuff together to sort the order out. Top 5's probably too small for me too......

5. wonderfly

I dunno, I haven't commented much in this thread on the NSA scandal, and in retrospect, I guess it's largely because I'm in the category of people thinking "I'm not doing anything illegal, so it doesn't affect me." Don't be planning a crime, and you've got nothing to fear.

That's not to say that I'm not in favor of the NSA surveillance powers being scaled back (yes, I know, slippery slope - one day we'll be living in the novel "1984", etc), just that for now it doesn't affect me. "Some gay gays tying the knot" has the potential to affect me more (if I was a cake shop owner...)

6. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

It's not just about you directly. A government that knows everything about everybody has enormous potential to abuse that power to control officials, politicians, and religious leaders. Some preacher says things that threaten the President? Present them with their worst secret to blackmail them in line. Governments have always done this, J. Edgar Hoover had fat blackmail files on all of the important people of the day and by hell, he used it to control them. But this makes it easy and ubiquitous.

You're worried about oppression coming from open, legal social change, but you're ignoring that the bigger threat that could happen in secret.

7. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

There's a Jihadist tribe in the mountains near Sochi, who have called the Olympics "Satanic." You have to wonder at this point, is anything NOT Satanic?

I guess the act of blowing up planes and killing innocent women and children wouldn't be. Everyone else is working for the devil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.