1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

News and Politics 2013 (General Political Discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

For some reason this always happens with national tragedies. Remember when that plane crashed into the Pentagon on 9/11? No one does; they remember the two that crashed into the WTC, because that was a louder incident.

There were also two people killed in OJ's mansion: his wife, and the waiter from the restaurant who was returning her glasses. No one remembers the waiter.

3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

4. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

Does this mean that the NSA is FUBAR.

5. Shawn Hopkins

Not necessarily, it could go all the way to the Supreme Court.

6. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Only hope guides us now in this regard - otherwise, we're one step closer to my vision of the future: The Hunger Games. I'm dead serious - we're coming closer and closer to an America like that, while st the same time, the rest of the world gets better and better, due to how they're handling poverty, racism/sexism, and other ailing(s) America should've dealt with long ago!

I know I'm sounding BOTH extremist and overly-dramatic, but I feel it's pathetic that we're even dealing with something that almost everyone in America can agree on is just - criminal, and IMHO - encourages similar negative/insane-sounding thinking to my own, which I can only hope is just that, as there are worse people out there than me in terms of thinking in regards to letting the NSA go unchecked.

7. Shawn Hopkins

8. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

9. Evo

Evo Agent of Providence

10. Shawn Hopkins

A Presidential panel has recommended the President make major changes to domestic spying programs. Will the President listen? I hope so, I think we can all agree this is one of the most important decisions he will ever make.

The NSA task force's reccomendations, the taper, and more from the Slatest PM.

"What we’re saying is just because we can doesn’t mean we should," said Richard Clarke, one of the advisers behind the report, which made a total of 46 different recommendations to the White House.

11. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

Sorry for my late reply. I thought some editorial toons might be offensive for some. ^^; if that could cheer you up, here one more editorial toon from Obamas Lies Cartoons
    [​IMG]

12. Shawn Hopkins

13. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

This is why I like it when webcams have a little privacy shade that can slide over it, but I don't think most manufacturers bother with this option. It would be a simple trust measure on their part and wouldn't cost much of anything to set up.

Of course you still have a problem with the built-in mics on these things unless you cover them up too.

14. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

15. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

16. Shawn Hopkins

Don't feel bad. They tested it on a MacBook, but apparently it works with all computers.

17. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

Yep. That's exactly what I've been doing. I used to put a tiny piece of cardboard over the cam to protect it from the tape glue.
    It also reminds me to check that the mic is off.

18. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

19. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Well, more specifically, no computer is safe if you purchase it online.

The NSA is going to have work overtime to restore what little (if any) public trust remains in their operations. Problem is, for years they have operated in total secrecy (heck, their nickname was "No Such Agency"), and now they're suddenly in the spotlight, day after day, and have to do PR to save face, something they're not used to. And so far, they've done an absolutely terrible job of PR. People still don't trust them, and who can blame them when each new revelation is released and the NSA either ignores it, tells half-truths or outright lies in response? Most importantly, they've barely said anything about how this supposedly necessary tool has thwarted specific terrorist attempts. And I don't mean some hermit with a bunch of ammo mistaken for a terrorist (i.e. wrongly arresting someone to justify their budget), I mean actual psychopaths who intend to cause specific harm.

Of course, good PR means diddly when these invasive programs targeting U.S. citizens shouldn't exist in the first place. The potential for abuse of all this vaccuumed data is massive, and it's something the company's supporters either don't seem to understand or were paid/blackmailed to look the other way on.

20. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

What a difference a few months can make. Who would have predicted this kind of talk from a normal Democrat in spring 2013?

[video=youtube_share;3fTeLTUdu8U]http://youtu.be/3fTeLTUdu8U[/video]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.