News and Politics 2013 (General Political Discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D! Administrator

2013 is here, and for those that follow the news, this is the thread for discussing all things political and otherwise news worthy! Major news events throughout the year may warrant their own talkbacks, but for general discussion of politics (the type of stuff you might see on the evening news), use this thread!

THE RULES:

1) A discussion should most of the time not be more than "Post, Response, Reply to Response" as we don't need ongoing debates between two individuals that overtake the thread. Also, no picking apart someone else's post with a line by line reply over each point made in the other person's post. Pick one or two parts of the post to quote in your response, and that's it. We don't need a drawn out idealogical debate: You can believe what you want, and others can believe what they want, but realize that you probably won't be able to change their minds.

2). Name calling or belittling other forum members will not be allowed. Do not denigrate supporters of one side in this debate. Do not denigrate a state that passes legislation you don't agree with. This is TROLLING or flamebait and may result in a warning or being banned. You can express your displeasure without resulting to name calling.

3). Do not respond to flamebait or troll posts yourself!! Report the offending posts and let the moderators do their job! This thread will be CLOSED if repeat violations occur, and warnings will be issued for violations as warranted!

4). About political cartoons- If you want to post more than one in the same post (or more than one on the same day), put them in spoiler tags. It makes it easier for people to navigate the thread.

2. wonderfly

So anyway-
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............................

That's the sound of us going over the Fiscal Cliff....

3. Convoy Rat

Convoy Rat Member

So anyway-
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.....

That's the sound of a deal being made over 12 hours ago.

4. wonderfly

And not passed by Congress in time. The deadline was the end of the year, we're now past that, and while a deal is being reached, the fact alone that they didn't come to an agreement before the deadline means we did indeed go over this "fiscal cliff".

From this article (written yesterday, before the compromise in the Senate was announced):

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

I know the complaint about Congress not working is an old one (the opposite of progress), but...

Has it ever not worked like it doesn't work now?

6. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Congress is not designed in a way that's conducive to working smoothly, but it has generally been much better in the past. Thanks to complete partisan deadlock, this is actually the least productive Congress since the 1940s in terms of getting bills passed, going as far back as there are records.

112th Congress Set To Become Most Unproductive Since 1940s

And it's not just bills. Letting America's credit rating crash or having a fight over a housekeeping measure like the debt ceiling or actually letting the U.S. go over the fiscal cliff, that's stupid. These are stupid, completely preventable things, but part of our most recent Congress made its top political priority a futile effort to make the current president a one-termer, so they happened anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator Moderator Reporter

I encourage rumination on the fact that while everyone in Washington was scrambling over an absurd last minute deal that has ensured even more absurd last minute drama in two months, most of the U.S. will still be paying more to Uncle Sam because the payroll tax cut expired even as everyone from the lowest ranked Congressman to the President of the United States have been expressing a lot of drivel about taxing the rich more (which will not even begin to address our deficit) and/or protecting the middle class.

My foremost fear is that these pitiful games continue and that our leadership proves most effective at perpetuating uncertainty at a time where the national and global economy particularly does not need it.

8. Shawn Hopkins

Oh, don't worry, they'll continue. Something that sometimes seems to get lost in the breathless reporting on the fiscal cliff was that it was a completely manufactured crisis that only came about because House Republicans decided to hold the debt ceiling hostage. And now some Republicans are already saying they let the fiscal cliff fight finish so they can "save their powder" for an upcoming fight on, yep, the debt ceiling.

I guess we're going to do this every year now.

9. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Active Member

I wondered by curiosity if we could also include politics at the municipal level as well as from others countries like Canada, UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Australia, Mexico,etc...?

Looks like some municipal elections might get a bumpy road ahead with the upcoming municipal election in Detroit from what I read on DetroitYes forum and this article from the Detroit News about Benny Napoleon, the current sheriff of Wayne County, going probably against the potential candidate and former prosecutor of Wayne County, Mike Duggan.

10. Shawn Hopkins

I think Chris Christie will probably switch to independent. The House Republican's holding up of the Sandy aid package seems to be the last straw, and he said some things today you can't take back.

[video=youtube;HDdSrEbLlpI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDdSrEbLlpI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

11. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume. Moderator Reporter

^ I don't know much about Christie's track record, but I do think his no-nonsense, down-to-earth, un-PC (by politican standards) nature is refreshing, as is his refusal to get into the pointless party line bickering. One quote in particular that's stuck with me concerning the latter, regarding Hurricane Sandy: "Today I'm touring NJ with President Obama. Yes, he's a Democrat, and I'm a Republican. We're also adults, and this is how adults behave." Burn.

12. Shawn Hopkins

So, what do you guys think? Will Boehner be reelected tomorrow? Conventional wisdom says that he will be, but conventional wisdom is wrong sometimes and the Tea Party members seemed pretty peeved about the fiscal cliff deal. I think a likely scenario is that he probably will be reelected, but the growing split in the Republican party will be on full display as the Tea Party makes a symbolic push against him.

Another black mark for our do-nothing Congress. The Violence Against Women Act has enjoyed bipartisan support for 18 years. But House Republicans managed to derail its reauthorization.

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/01/02/congress-lets-violence-against-women-act-wither-away/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
  13. wonderfly

So how is President Obama's new cabinet shaping up? Very strongly, from what I'm seeing. Who have we got so far?

John Kerry as the new Secretary of State.
    John Brennan as CIA Director
    and Chuck Hagel for Secretary of Defense.

These are strong choices, though I wish we didn't always have to fill Secretary positions with politicians. I wish there was a civilian pool of candidates to draw people from, like the Ambassadors to different countries.

14. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie Moderator

Glenn Beck announces plans for Independence, USA | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

I'm having trouble understanding this. Paul Ryan and now Glenn Beck swear up and down for this book. Objectivism does not support the personal use of force, something Beck supports. Rand supported the right to abortion and opposed intelligent design, on the grounds that faith based morals go against one's right to live by personal judgement. The Republican party has always used faith as one of its campaign cards.

How can you favor what is ultimately a form of anarchy while also favoring party tenets?

15. Shawn Hopkins

It's called having a high tolerance for cognitive dissonance.

16. wonderfly

Not that I like Glen Beck, but to what are you referring to when you say "personal use of force"?

17. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie Moderator

I meant gun rights. Beck is in favor of the second amendment and the "stand your ground" laws, isn't he?

I didn't mean he's in favor of shooting people for fun.

18. wonderfly

Ah, okay. Frankly, his idea for "Independence" sounds a lot like a Commune, which is one step away from "Communism", so the whole thing sounds bizarre coming from Beck.

It's either that, or he's trying to establish "The Village" from the M. Night Shyamalan film.

19. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Active Member

For a moment I taught of the other "Village" from the old classic series "The Prisonner". ^^;

Speaking of "Village", I spotted that project via the Skyscraperpage forum, an article from the Detroit News about a proposed big project titled "Commonwealth of Belle-Isle" for Belle-Isle Island in Detroit.

20. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.