1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"New Warriors (TV Series)" General News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by MDawg, Apr 5, 2017.

1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Freeform will be picking up the Marvel series, which will include Squirrel Girl.
    I expected they'd do the reality series take on the series that happened several years back, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Edit: Marvel's official PR statement.

• Informative Informative x 3
    #1 MDawg, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Interesting, Freeform got a 2nd one and it's another 10 episode order. But the first half hour and first comedy series. Yeah, the docu-comedy thing that Office Space and Modern Family does comes to mind but I'd rather see a standard scripted comedy.

I'm not familiar with Beigel though.

EDIT: Here's when it was rumored last August, for reference.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 Yojimbo, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I used to watch Scrubs and Cougar Town periodically but I'm not familiar with this particular writer.

Anyway, its getting to the point that I don't know if I'll see the majority of Marvel's upcoming TV content. I haven't even been able to keep up with AOS this season by itself. I still have my fingers crossed that everything will be good.

• Like Like x 1
    #3 Rick Jones, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  4. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Wow. I didn't think this would actually happen. I'm not sure about a comedy thanks to DC's Powerless and that the New Warriors is a team for young heroes fighting crime like any other heroes so I don't really want to see a goofy take on the team.

It might end up being New Warriors in name only like The Defenders who are more like the Heroes for Hire than the actual comic Defenders with Hulk and Doctor Strange. Hopefully Squirrel Girl will be a ton of fun!

It's interesting that this is being confirmed after that rumor a while back and the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series that featured the team just ended earlier this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This is the first MCU TV show I have no interest in (SO not a Squirrel Girl fan) but maybe a trailer will change my mind.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Karey Burke, Executive VP of programming and development at Freeform revealed the NW members have been chosen.
    Burke confirmed Anna Kendrick and Shannon Purser are already being considered for the role of Squirrel Girl.

Burke also revealed they did a solo Squirrel Girl pitch for before Cloak and Dagger. Then Marvel said they would work on some ideas and it became New Warriors.

New Warriors and Cloak and Dagger airing back to back is an alternative being considered. They seem to be leaning towards a comedy night and drama night. FYI, she's referring to the Freeform Upfront. That's April 19. So expect more info to pour on.

• Like Like x 1
    #6 Yojimbo, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Anna Kendrick? I don't see that happening. She's a bit older than I'd expect too but who knows. I do wish there was another team name they could use for a sitcom. I always think of the New Warriors as the team for future Avengers or kind of like the Teen Titans so I'd still wish the name kept some significance.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TFormersMarvel

TFormersMarvel Active Member

Personally, I think either the Young Avengers or the rebooted Champions could fill that role if MARVEL's interested (though they already have Hulu's Runaways in the pipeline).

Detouring to the season length, I'm pretty sure most cable networks tend to have shorter seasons for their live action shows compared to broadcast network (to my understanding). After looking at Freeform's program listings, most of their current shows cap around 10-13 episodes per season. The only exceptions are long runners (Switched at Birth, Pretty Little Liars) and Shadowhunters' second season.

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm curious to see how many, if any, of the classic New Warriors make it into this (Namorita, Firestar, and Nova are probably easy to rule out), and if they'll take any real inspiration from the Nicieza/Bagley run :).

Probably not given they're going for a comedy, while the classic new Warriors was more young adult Superhero drama, but you never know :sweat:.

That comment about the cast from Burke also makes me wonder if it's referring to them all typically being known solo stars or having very compelling characters/backgrounds o_O?

But if it's tailor made for spinoffs...I'm guessing they're trying to match the CW with the Arrowverse :p?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I was thinking the New Avengers personally. Keeps the Avengers name while using the newer characters introduced in Phases 2 and 3 like Spider-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Ant-Man. But I definitely agree that the New Warriors name could've been saved for a more serious take on the team.
    I imagine they'll mostly be taking characters from the initial run of New Warriors. That being said, I don't really imagine who would be comedic on this team, but Squirrel Girl is in it. She was never a part of the team in comics, so I can imagine other characters showing up. The Great Lake Avengers come to mind...
    Depending on who's on the team, perhaps some of them could get their own show.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

12. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

The team lineup has been revealed.

I'm pretty surprised to see Mr. Immortal there. He was a former teammate of Squirrel Girl in the Great Lakes Avengers/Great Lakes X-Men.

#12 MDawg, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm actually not surprised to see Immortal, since I was getting the sense this would feel more like the Great Lake Avengers then the New Avengers, especially with Squirrel Girl onboard ;).

Speedball I expected if only because he's one of the more fun and wacky members New Warriors (plus, Squirrel Girl had a crush on him in the comics), and Debrii makes sense because she was part of the reality TV show take on the Warriros, which will probably lend itself well to this take :).

So while it's certainly not the roster I would go with, or one that really excites me, it feels appropriate for the direction of this TV show :cool:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm going in 99% blind because I don't know what much about these characters and didn't read the comics they were in much. The format is different and should be fun. Nice to see some MCU connections in the break down already with the mention of the Avengers Tower and seems Debrii lost some people who were collateral damage in an incident. Naturally I'm curious how they get their powers - are they Inhumans who took the fish pill, tech enhanced like some characters on the early days of AOS..etc.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if Night Thrasher was too "serious" to be used.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually, Night Thrasher is in this, he just isn't mentioned in MDawg's post.

His new characterization sounds...interesting, to say the least, if not at all like the character in the comics :sweat:.

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

18. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, they look like the cast for a Freeform TV show :sweat:.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

7/10: The only one I know of is Milana Vayntrub from those AT&T commercials and occasionally @ Midnight.. She's pretty funny. Should be a hoot.

7/26: Keith David has also joined the cast in a recurring role of Ernest Vigman, who is described as "a caustic municipal employee who butts up against the hopeful energy of the New Warriors."

8/2: An audition video for Mister Immortal has surfaced. New Warriors' production title is Houseboat evidently.

• Like Like x 1