1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by PC!, Jun 2, 2009.

1. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

It sucks that not only is Yoshi rare is this game, but you can't keep him even after beating the level with him.

2. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I honestly prefer it that way. It forces you to adapt to each level differently, and I like that.

I just wish he kept his infinite hover. One is kinda lame.

3. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

You should have been able to take Yoshi with you from stage to stage. I mean, as soon as you get hit the little guy is going to run off a cliff, so it's not like he'd make the game THAT much easier.

4. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

Currently struggling to get World 7 and 8 coins. I guess my friend kept getting Super Guide blocks when he played, so no perfect playthrough stars for me.

I hate the Ludwig stages with a passion.

5. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Yeah, I hate Yoshi. I've always been a skilled Mario player, but it seems whenever I get a hold of Yoshi it's not long before he's running scared. And if I had a dollar for every time it happened right off the edge of a pit, I'd be rich.

Stupid dinosaur.

6. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

While I find Galaxy a more grand/epic and innovative game overall, good for NSMB Wii. Hopefully this means more "old school" sequels in the future. I'd love to see if they made a new game in the style of SMB2 USA.

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

A new game with even more suits would be awesome. I bet Galaxy 2 outdoes even this, but it's great to see that 2D gaming is far from dead so long as it's well-polished.

9. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Don't get me wrong, I love Galaxy too, but just the fact that a game like 2D Mario can sell so well in this day and age is heartwarming to us old school gamers.

No matter how much places like IGN might cry about it.

10. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't understand how this detracts from Mario Galaxy's success. They've both sold millions of copies and Nintendo has made it clear that they intend to follow up on Galaxy.

11. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

I get the feeling it has something to do with the game being the only good Wii game release in the Holiday season more than being a 2D Mario.

12. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

People had options like A Boy & His Blob, Silent Hill, and Final Fantasy CCCB, and they chose a 2D Mario game. Most of these people didn't even buy Galaxy at all.

So I think it being a 2D Mario definitely has something to do with it.

13. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

What's there to cry about? 3D Mario games aren't being abandoned, Galaxy is getting a sequel, and both entries in the New Super Mario Bros series have been reaching amazing numbers of units sold and the Wii sequel will most likely become an evergreen title like its DS prequel.

The only thing this proves is that 2D Mario resonates more with the expanded audience than 3D Mario does. Considering the amount of nostalgia merchandise that exists for Mario games, it really isn't a surprise at all that it would climb to the top of the charts at such a fast rate. Even now, a lot of Mario merchandise is either based on the NES titles or include the New Super Mario Bros branding.

As for the game, I bought it on Black Friday, but never had a chance to actually play it until earlier this month. I was completely out of practice and ended up losing so many lives and wasting power-ups. Indeed, the promises that it was harder didn't disappoint. It felt just as challenging as SMW did to me (Though luckily there's no "Tubular"-like stage yet, but my brother assures me World 9 is extremely tough). After a bit more time with the game, I've gotten used to the controls again, and after switching to component cables, it didn't feel as slippery as the first one did.

It seems like the hardest levels are the ones where you must control a platform with the Wii Remote. It doesn't seem to register light shifts in movement, so you actually have to turn the controller and then jump to safety. That definitely made World 7 a pain to go through. The game is just such a blast to play, and the multiplayer is an invitation to screw around instead of accomplishing anything, though my brother and I certainly did work together to get certain star coins. I think I'll be revisiting this one a lot more than I did to NSMB, and even after I get all the coins. Those skill videos look insane to perfectly pull off.

14. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

The gaming media, such as IGN, seem to loathe the fact that this game even exists at all. The fact they've gone out of their way to invade their own Nintendo podcast to do nothing but say how fail Nintendo is, and write a freaking article about how overrated this game is, is just sad.

The fact they we got a brand new Mario game on par with the classics and it's not on a portable or downloadable (a fact that seems to enrage a lot of hardlycores who also seem to deem these platforms as inferior - never mind the Wii) and merely offers a classic experience, has outsold a masterpiece that was deemed the peak of current gen.

These people can't stand that Nintendo is targeting gamers other than them and actually succeeding.

Personally, I like both games, but the needless bashing NSMBWii gets is really unwarranted considering it's quality.

#634 Desensitized, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

See, here's the thing about Galaxy and NSMB Wii. First of all, NSMB Wii came out at a time when there were more Wii consoles in households. Second, NSMB Wii is a game anyone can pick up. It's like Little Big Planet, you literally have situations where some five year old picks it up and plays it with their Dad. That's something valuable that not every game offers.

Now add in the nostalgia factor. Everyone has played Super Mario Bros. This game is like going back to that idyllic time when video games were (a) new and cool and (b) simple but engaging entertainment.

How can it not kick ass? More to the point, why shouldn't it?

Silly media. Well, there's a reason a lot of people don't care for IGN I guess.

16. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

I'm... not seeing the bit where IGN considers this a terrible, horrible, really bad thing. They reported the fact that NSMBW sold more, noted that Mario Galaxy generally received better reviews than NSMBW, and then posted a paragraph of speculation on what factors may have caused the latter to outsell the former. Where's all this "crying" I hear y'all talking about?

In any case, this should be a no-brainer. 2D games are always going to have a lower barrier to entry, which is important to Wii owners, and NSMBW had a much better multiplayer mode, also very important to the target audience. Step 3 is profit.

I don't think I could choose a favorite between them if I tried, but anyone could have predicted that NSMBW would be the more popular of the two. Maybe not by THIS much, but as has been mentioned, there are a LOT of Wii owners out there right now looking to get some use out of their purchase again.

17. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

It's not so much this article, but comments from their Nintendo podcast as well as that article that specifically comments on how overrated they feel this particular game is.

I would post those, but I really don't want to stay on that site any longer than I have to nor listen to a podcast where all they do is troll their listeners. But it's not like they're particularly hard to find. Here's a few:

There's a thread on NeoGAF talking about one of the articles
    There's a blog post about the podcast, so you don't have to sit through it if you don't want to
    And another one

All ranting about NSMBWii. There's more, but I don't really want to find them again.

The strange part is that one of those people is Bozon, who works at WayForward, which specializes in making 2D classic style games.

18. JD08

JD08 Active Member

Man IGN staffs are jerks. That's why I stopped reading all they do is hype up sequels to hit games and dog the rest. One thing I've noticed is that they will advertise and glorify upcoming games but give them low grades.

EDIT: Thanks Desensitized for the links.

19. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

How strange that this game received this sudden backlash. It's not like Mario games have ever really been a hardcore choice or something.

Plus, didn't they hype the game up and claim it to be the Best of E3 or something?

Finally, its hilarious how they claim Call of Duty's success is the sign that core gamers aren't a minority, yet CoD has just about as much casual appeal as Mario games.

20. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

The whole core/casual thing is just a meaningless imagined ideological war some internet gamers are fighting against an enemy that doesn't exist.

I actually hope NSMBWii leads to a renaissance of good 2-D games. Not just reboots of existing franchises, brand new ones that take what their predecessors did and improve them for the current gen.