1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by PC!, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

It varies per person. I think some of the later world 3 levels start to pick it up, and by world 6 it kicks in.

It's never really that hard, though. Just balanced well.

2. Borg4of3

Borg4of3 Slish Slash Slosh!

It's just a satisfaction thing. Technically and by format, it'd all be the same, but there's something about being the one who lands the final blow that makes all the difference. 'Press button; Win game' as opposed to 'Smash boss, Win game' - a small misstep to me, and it's fixed with a little closing eyes and imagination.

3. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

This is the same company that avoids giving their characters backgrounds, voices and personalities so that players can "be the character". You think they're going to give a couple of lowly Toads names.

You see, back in the day, that's what American cartoon adaptations were for. :p

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

So I finally got all the coins over Christmas break. I feel a sense of satisfaction, even though I didn't really get anything for my efforts but another profile star. The hardest coin for me wasn't Level 9-7 (although the 2nd and 3rd coins were pretty tough), but Level 9-4, the one where you have to freeze the piranha plant and enter the pipe above it. I can't tell you how many tries that took. The worst part was, because there are no checkpoints in the level and it's forced scrolling, you can't just whiz through the level as fast as you want. Yech.

5. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

I had a problem with that part also.

6. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Getting all the coins is the most fun part of the game. If you have complaints about the difficulty being too breezy and you're NOT getting all the coins, then you're doing it wrong. :p

7. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

Yeah. It's not like you have to shake it vigorously or anything. You just flick your wrists and up you go. The only time I think it could be a problem is if you end up flying involuntarily. Like, your hand spasms or someone knocks into you or something and you take off. Still, not really a big deal.

I have to say though, while the propeller suit is cool, my choice for favorite power-up goes to the penguin suit. Not for any reasons you'd think, though. Sure the ice-throwing is cool, and the belly-sliding. I haven't even tried it in the water yet. The thing I love though is that it gives you better traction on ice. I always hated sliding on ice in Mario games.

8. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

I recently popped NSMB DS back in to try for some of those last few Star Coins. Killed myself more than once by shaking my DS trying to do the spin-jump and just screwing up my view of the action instead. Oops.

9. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

Finally got the chance to play this tonight. And it's, well (please don't kill me), underwhelming. I played up to level 2-3 and just didn't have the patience to do a "in the dark" level. I don't know what it is, but I'm finding playing it to be a bit boring. Mario seems to control way more sluggishly than he did in the DS game, and it's killing me (both in-game and figuratively). And I've already had multiple instances where, instead of landing on the enemy, I'd land just at the side and take damage.

And I find it weird how soon into the game these little level gimmicks came. Level 1 has literal rolling plains and level 2 has moving cave walls.

Music is a bit annoying. There's reused NSMB music and the "level completed" music seems to be twice as loud as the rest. I love the second castle theme though.

I'll try again tomorrow to see if I enjoy it more. Maybe I should get some more controllers and have some friends join in, multiplayer is usually fun.

These are just initial impressions, though. They can and hopefully will change.

10. Savoury Sauce

I actually had this fully completed, star coins and all, within 4 or so days of purchasing it, and haven't touched it since. I wasn't even playing it non-stop or anything, just 2 or 3 half hour bursts a day, maybe. Perhaps it was too easy, or perhaps I just play too many platform games? In any case, it was an enjoyable enough romp during it's initial playthrough, but as soon as it was done and dusted, the 'magic', so to speak, instantly dissapeared. I don't know what it is about these NSMB games that fails to grab me as much as others, but neither of them have left me anticipating more. I mean, they're fun enough to play the first time round, but other than that, they're just really easy, bland looking games.

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

What music was reused from NSMB? (haven't played it myself)
    I've taken NSMB Wii off the shelf to play quite a few times even after beating it. There's just something about Mario games: It's fun to run and jump through the levels, and I feel this game is no exception.

12. Nel_Annette

The music from level 1 and one of the other levels (I think one of the one where you're clearly in the sky, near tall mushrooms on the overworld) were the two "main" level themes in the DS game. I know one of them also appeared in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. I also think the tower tune is the same. Haven't played far enough to recognize any others.

I'm a big lover of video game music, so hearing NSMB's uninspired tunes making a reappearance here just disappoints me is all.

13. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Ha ha, me too! After playing this game so much, it's hard to remember that the old games don't have spin-jumps or [bar NSMB] wall-jumping.

14. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

See, I actually enjoy the level 1-1 theme of NSMB Wii, even if it is a remix of the tune from NSMB. I can hum it, and I like the orchestration. I really don't understand where the hate comes from, aside from reusing a previous melody.

(Sorta related, but I find it cute how the Koopas periodically face the screen and do hand gestures to the beat of the vocals in that song. I love touches like that, and didn't even notice it when I first started playing the game)

15. PC!

PC! lolwut?

The Goombas hop in tune with the music as well. A nice touch, if not a little annoying trying to jump on them by landing where you think they'll be, and they stop momentarily to dance, then walk into you.

16. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

I got a chance to play some four-player over New Years. Man, the game is crazy fun that way. We mostly played Coin Battle, figuring that rather than try to suppress our natural desire to screw each other over, we should play a mode that encourages it.

I'd played the game the most out of the group, so after a while they got tired of me winning and we switched to Free-For-All and tackled some of the harder levels. 8-7, 8-Airship, and 8-Bowser are all insane.

17. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

Finally got around to picking this up. It was on sale for $40 at Best Buy so I kind of had to get it. Can't wait to get some friends over and start up a multiplayer game.

18. Nel_Annette

Just made it to World 7. While I have avoided cannons (don't wanna miss any cutscenes), I have used secret paths in the worlds to get to their castles as fast as possible. Why, you may ask? Because this game is as hard as hell. No, seriously, it's a miracle I'm as far as I am. And forget ever collecting all the coins, I enjoy keeping my sanity.

While my enjoyment of this game hasn't really gotten that much better, I really enjoy the airship levels, and unlike the Koopalings, where some crazy gimmick has me sweating, the Bowser Jr. fights have been pretty fun, though I still hate shaking the Wii remote to do some actions.

Biggest "oh crap" moment so far: the World 6 fortress. The level started, and all my eyes focused on was the omega pillar of doom. :eek:

19. speedy fast

speedy fast Active Member

I played all of world 1 and part of world 2, and I just want to know... Is Yoshi used much in this game? it seems like I only found him once in world 1, and I can't even rememebr if he's in any world 2 levels I've played.

20. PC!

PC! lolwut?

I believe you encounter him only around 5 times throughout the game, give or take.