1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by PC!, Jun 2, 2009.

1. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Footage here.
    NEW! E3 2009 trailer

A brand new sequel to New Super Mario Bros. is coming to the Wii this fall. For the first time ever, play as four characters simultaneously in a Mario platformer.

This game is playable on the E3 show floor, so more new information is certain to be coming soon.

The first little bit that will no doubt excite fans:

Koopa Kids confirmed.

[​IMG]

Discuss!

#1 PC!, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
  2. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

Okay, when this was announced, I was really geeked up from the get go. I loved New Super Mario Bros and I wanted a sequel real bad. But having it be on the Wii is even better.

I know there's some people that are doubtful. Saying that this could've easily been done on the DS. And I reply...

It's a 2-D Mario platformer on a home console. There hasn't been done proper since the 90s. And there's co-op play involved too. The fans been wanting a game where you can play together as the brothers Mario at the same time instead of taking turns for years. The toads were really my choice for the 3rd & 4th players. I would've went with the Warios, Yoshi, maybe the Kongs. But hey, just a slight nitpick.

The Koopalings? The Koopalings are in this game? Nintendo actually remembers that these characters exist?

THIS HAS OFFICIALLY GOTTEN MORE AWESOME!

3. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I've always wanted to see a Mario game like this so I'm stoked. Plus the Koopalings are back? Right on!!!

I can wait to play this 4 player or even 2 player it'll be tons of fun.

4. Mistah K88

Mistah K88 Member

The Koopalings?! It's locked...it's locked...I'm buying this game... Now if they show up in Galaxy 2 I'm going to have a fangasm...

5. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I've wanted this for so long, it's nice that it's a brand new game, too.

Koopalings make it so much more awesome.

6. email2003

email2003 *Classically Trained*

I want them also on Galaxy 2. I was tired of facing off against Bowser Jr. and Bowser in Galaxy 1.

7. jph139

jph139 Immortal

You people with the Koopalings... it's actually quite frightening to see the internet's dedication to the little freaks. :sweat:

Looks fun. I liked the original - I'm just hoping they can stretch the Mario formula enough to warrant a full title. The DS game has ten worlds - I think - and it almost seemed excessive. So who knows.

8. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Eight worlds, actually. Two of which you HAD to skip unless you knew the secret to reach them.

9. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Ah - I thought it was eight worlds and two that you skip over... one of the two, at least. So, yeah, beef that up a bit and I'm sold.

10. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

It adds variety to the boss fights. The boss fights in NSMB were almost all exactly the same even though they were really easy.

This game makes me want that 2.5D Mega Man game even more.

11. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

It's nostalgia, to me, the Koopalings are as important to the Mario games as the Mushroom Kingdom & fire flowers. I consider myself a retro gamer, I grew up with all three SMB games plus SMW. I always wanted a new console Mario title like them for years. It's that childhood desire that made me excited for this title.

Yeah, the bosses in NSMB were just giant versions of regular Mario baddies. Giant goomba, giant pokey, they even had a giant cheap-cheap. Atleast the Koopalings has that childhood appeal.

12. Mistah K88

Mistah K88 Member

Kinda and kinda not...the Koopaling boss battles were all about the same, just a different face to the short Koopa body, and MAYBE a new attack... It's just fun to see these characters again, I mean I love Bowser Jr. and I got over my "I hate him cause he's not the Koopalibngs" phase a LONG time ago. SO I hope this will be the game where we see both Jr. and the Koopalings. Unless Junior and his siblings are only fortess bosses, that is 9 worlds already with Bowser. I heard that there will be Yoshi riding in this game as well...so it may be like Super Mario World.

13. PC!

PC! lolwut?

A trailer has been added to the first post.

Looks like they're really milking the whole co-op experience. I hope it doesn't mean a halfhearted single player mode.

But on the plus side, Yoshi riding confirmed! Just like the Super Mario World days.

14. .bg

.bg Active Member

That's great... Yoshi's always been my favourite character. I wish you could just play as him alone, though.

15. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

*watches trailer*

Wow.

A sidescrolling, Mario platformer on a current generation console. I've wanted this for a very long time. And since NSMB is my favorite game on the DS I couldn't be more psyched about this. The co-op looks sweet too.

Thanks Nintendo.

16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The one issue to me is length and whether there will be enough gameplay to make it worthwhile. With any luck, it's longer than the original.

That said it does seem that they've added more power ups, Yoshi is in the game, and the level design seems rather more interesting than the original New Super Mario Bros.

For now, I have cautious optimism. It certainly looks fun.

17. mookie75

mookie75 Active Member

Agreed. Any time I can get some old school 2D side-scrolling action, I'm all for it. This looks amazing. I'm hoping the new Metroid is a 2D game as well...did they show any footage of that one?

I guess I could go search the net or check the Nintendo Channel and see... :sweat:

18. MagicBox

MagicBox xoBcigaM

You pretty much perfectly nailed my main fear with this. This is obviously going to be pushed as a multiplayer game, but if the levels are designed strictly for two or more players, the game's really going to suffer. I don't have friends over ALL the time; sometimes I just wanna get on the couch and play some Mario by myself.

I noticed a lot of the levels just seem to be very... vacant. I'm sure that's due to making sure the four players have enough room to jump around and all that, but it might make the game boring if it isn't done right. Still, though, I'm excited. I don't have a DS, so I can't speak for the original game and its short length or relative lack of difficulty. All I can hope is that it turns out being great, which I don't have too many fears for.

Koopalings makes this even better. I was really hoping they'd pop up in Galaxy 2, but this is the next best thing.

#18 MagicBox, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
  19. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

If only they'd make a deathmatch mode based on Super Mario War.

Then this would really have infinite replay value.

20. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

This looks like it's going to be absolutely fantastic. I echo everyone else's excitement. I can't wait to play it.