1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Stargate series

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Zeether, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Cool! Ugh, a prequel, but at least they seem to be keen on revisiting the canon instead of a reboot. Langford is an interesting choice.

3. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

So with this going to a digital platform, this is an attempt for a direct competition with the new Star Trek series, isn't it? This may be the future for TV...

Now my concern is: Will they remove the old Stargate series (all 3 of them) from Hulu and force us to get the new MGM digital platform to view the old series? Because that's one thing I like about what Star Trek did - the new series is on their new "CBS All Access" digital platform, but they struck a deal with Netflix to leave the old series on Netflix...

I want something similar in place for Stargate, to guarantee it doesn't leave Hulu (or have it go to Netflix, that'd be fine by me)...

4. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Ten online episodes, with each being ten minutes long, taking place before the shows and before/around the first film with an iconic and important, yet underused, character from the franchise. Sure, people were hoping for more and so was I. It is a bit of an unoriginal cliché, but it doesn't have to be bad. It will depend on the style and content. It could be good, similarly to the Sanctuary or Stargate Universe mini web episodes - which is imo what people should overall expect. For a start that would be okay. I just hope MGM knows what they're doing and it won't be utterly bad or disappointing and won't feel like milking the established and will actually add something to the mythology. Going to be interesting to see how they achieve that without using a documentary style. And even though the already revealed premise of Stargate Origins slightly contradicts the canon, I feel like people should still give it a chance.

As for Stargate Command as a subscription media hub, that's probably the smartest move.

However, one thing that is seriously disappointing is no announcement regarding Stargate SG-1 coming finally to Blu-Ray. What kind of a celebration is it without such a well deserved treatment?!

5. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

From what the article says, it sounds like Stargate Command will mostly be for behind the scenes stuff as well as the new series. They could upload SG-1 etc there too but I don't think they'd shut off access to it on Hulu, iTunes etc for that one platform.

SG-1 on Blu-ray's been a talking point and it might be a big undertaking to remaster everything (like the CGI and such, Babylon 5 has that issue too), something that I don't think MGM's got the capital for. I think only seasons 8-10 were HD recorded.

6. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

S1-S3 was shot on 16mm film with 35mm vfx, S4-S7 was shot fully on 35mm, S8-S10 were shot using Digital HD. In other words, everything they need is there and it should be quite easy. Especially if they would just transfer it the cheap way without cleaning as is, the 16/35mm film is more than good enough for HD without needing to rerender the effects, when SD widescreen is already available online, on TV and DVD and looks good enough. It's been 20 years, X-Files which is almost the same case already came out, and the show and fans deserve it. Even Atlantis and Universe is on Blu-Ray and SG1 is the most popular show. There are no valid excuses. It should have happened long ago and I would expect for the anniversary nothing less. People shouldn't accept it, but instead keep bugging MGM about it until they comply. If not Blu-Ray, to save some money, than at least on demand.