1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Smurf TV Series in Development

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by 19MagiswordLane, Sep 2, 2017.

1. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

• Like Like x 1
  2. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Musical ZF

Hmm, this is surprising, the artwork look heavily based of a The Lost Village film, I wonder what potential that this might have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

It says it's in development. I don't think that means it's definitely happening yet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

A new Smurfs cartoon has been due for a while now. I hope the old theme song can be kept.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

There is NO WAY this can turn out good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Musical ZF

Nobody says if it'll turn out bad or good or whether it'll come out at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

It will be made by Dupuis Audiovisuel.
    In others words, this could finally be an adaptation of the original comic.

I'm not liking the CGI, but it was inevitable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

It surely sounds good to see an adaptation of The Smurfs its something that hasn't been an overdone product and for the most part I like the sound of this more than the movies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I initially thought of the "Psycho Strings", "Skyward Scream", and "Big NO!" tropes, but anything can happen at this point. I'm HOPING that this show will have:

-It's own production values separate from ALL the movies
    -It's own writing, again separate from ALL the movies
    -A direct adaptation of the comics as another poster mentioned (which The Lost Village was supposed to be, but wasn't*).
    -Johan and Peewit (the stars of the comic that The Smurfs is a spinoff of) in some role that doesn't involve either a simple cameo, or a gag where they get "coincidentally" hurt as a result of some gag.

Wait a minute [checks Google]...it doesn't look like this is the same company who made The Garfield Show, though it appears to have been made by a related company. I bring this up because The Garfield Show assumes that the viewer is only familiar with the movies, where Garfield's lips move. My concern is whether or not this upcoming series will assume the viewers are only familiar with those movies. As I (and others) have mentioned, I hope it will be an actual adaptation of the comics, and not just the movies.

Still, we'll see what happens...

10. Red Arrow :D

Yes, The Garfield Show is part of Mediatoon's library, just like all shows made by Dupuis and Dargaud, which is pretty odd since Garfield is an American comic while Dupuis and Dargaud are Belgian...

Dupuis has made a Little Spirou series which is really dull compared to the (hilarious) original comic, so Mandouga is right that it is not guaranteed that Dupuis will adapt its own comics into a cartoon in a respectful way. However, I am sure they won't get all "American" and let the stories take place in "da big city" with live-action humans and stupid humor. It will definitely be better than the movies, 100% sure. But will it actually be good? No idea.

Dupuis also made Two of a Kind: Spirou & Fantasio in 2006, which was really nice despite being quite different from the original comic. They also made a Spirou series in the 90s that looked more like the comics, but it wasn't really nice. The comic is loaded with movement (as moving as a comic can get), but the 90s cartoon is one of the most static cartoons I've ever seen. So maybe it's a good thing that they start from scratch with this new Smurf series rather than making a dull, static and boring version of the original.

11. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I wonder who they'd get to play the characters. I mean, they could get some of the movie actors to reprise their roles, though it'd be easier to get actors like Jack McBrayer or Ariel Winter due to their voice acting credits rather than someone like Demi Lovato. There could of course be fresh blood like Kari Wahlgren or Laura Bailey as Smurfette, heck even bringing back Frank Welker and Dee Bradley Baker as Azarel and Monty. Of course, we have to wait and see

• Like Like x 2
  12. Red Arrow :D

I think they will use English voice-actors from France just like with other French cartoons. (like Code Lyoko)

Demi Lovato doesn't live in France :p

13. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

I've actually wanted to see actors from the original cartoon reprise their roles. I know Don Messick, Hamilton Camp, Paul Winchell and Lucille Bliss are deceased and I guess William Callaway isn't that active in VA these days, but I could see Frank coming back as Hefty, Poet and most likely Azreal. Also Danny Goldman reprised his role as Brainy in some recent Robot Chicken Smurf's sketches. I could see Goldman and Barry Gordon alternating as Brainy again. Plus, Jim Cummings has always been spot on with Paul Winchell's characters. (Ex: Tigger, Zummi Gummi) I'd like to see him voice Gargamel on a new series. (I hear he has on an SNL sketch or something, so that would be doable.) Just a few thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
    #13 Daffyfan2002, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  14. Eek!Swimmer1623

Eek!Swimmer1623 New Member

I hope this turns out good. I really enjoyed The Smurfs when I watched it on Boomerang and it was a show my dad used to watch in the 80s. It's definitely one of my favorite 80s cartoons and one of my favorite Hanna Barbera shows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Hank Azaria for Gargamel again, please.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. GershonB

GershonB New Member

I doubt it. As a matter of fact, I think they should have cast Christopher Lloyd instead.